Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Questions from a newbie

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM
  • 10 Replies

As some of you know, I joined the group this week and will be hs'ing my dd in K this fall.  So, I'm absorbing everything I can from the group and HS blogs.  I've come across a few things that I don't really understand.

1. What is the purpose of copywork and should I be adding it to our lesson plans?

2.  What are/is lapbooks and notebooking?

I know I have tons of time before I have to worry about this next ?, but I'm curious...

3. How do you teach a subject you aren't good at yourself for 9th-12th grades?  Ex: I am HORRIBLE at Alegbra. I just don't get it let alone be able to teach it!  What about the harder stuff in Chemistry?  History and American Government just bored me so bad I often fell asleep in class, but I figure I can get over that.  Grammar and sentence structure, I'm hoping there are some kind of teachers manuals that will refresh my memory.

Thanks!

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
First, I wouldn't worry about high school just yet ;) but honestly it's not that hard because there are so many curriculum choices out there that can pretty much teach you/tell you exactly how to teach. And if you just can't do it, there are co-ops, online courses, etc.

Copy work is for handwriting practice. It also allows the child to see how proper sentences/grammar is formed as well as helps with spelling. In kinder, I don't think it is necessary. But many people do it instead of a handwriting/grammar/English course,at least early on. We do copy work and put it all in one main lesson book (note book) to bind at the end of the year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:31 PM
I don't use lap booking or note booking, but I know plenty in here that do!! Pinterest is a never ending free resource for lap booking.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

hi janelle,

i use copywork to improve my kids handwriting, and for something to do while they are waiting for me to help them, also i do bible verses(along with other sayings) so it gives the kids a variety of writing styles , its something ive done for years and think its worth it.

if you want to add it do it! if you dont think its benefitcial dont add it! there is no law or anything that says you have to, its helped my kids w/ their handwriting.

lap books are fun!!! be sure to do them with your child!  this page explains it much better than i can!! http://lapbooking.wordpress.com/lapbook/ , they are fun!

notebooking-  quote from notebooking site:  this is another fun thing to do with all the kids work, ive done it for years. its very creative

What is Notebooking?

Notebooking is the coined term for what one may refer to as educational journaling or scrapbooking. Essentially, the idea is to create a compilation of what has been learned and experienced in any number of subjects or activities and organize it in a notebook (or binder).  http://notebookingpages.com/notebooking/

as for teaching subjects you dont know nothing about ive also done that for years!hahahahah  alegbra is not one of my favorite subjects either or geomentry or whats that other one? hahahah cant even think of it! 

what i do is go through whatever the subject i dont know is during the summer months(we take off summers) and i try to always stay a lesson ahead of the kids, eventually they get to where they can teach me! and thats good! it means they understand it!

and i try to make it fun for the ones that dont like it at all,  and teachers manuals i use!! the only subjects i have textbooks for are language arts and math and i have solution manuals and teachers answers keys for them!

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:46 PM

For teaching subjects you can figure out. ..

You can find a homeschool mom group in your local area and they can help you either with resources or like doing a group learning...such as high school kids getting together to study math. Sometimes one of the hs moms who knows a subject will help out. 

But check your laws to make sure that is ok. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
You probably fell asleep during history because textbooks can suck. Luckily, you home school and don't have to use textbooks! History can be fun, hands on, and exciting. Once you figure out note booking (google notebooking for beginners youtube videos), history becomes way more interesting. As for teaching higher math, what better way to learn than to teach? I finally understand fractions from teaching my kids. Your curriculum does most of the teaching, you just have to follow along.
jenelle_trader
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Thank you!  I'll look at those sites.

The other math, were you thinking of Calculus or Trigonometry?  I definitely, will not attempt those, lol!

Quoting oredeb:

hi janelle,

i use copywork to improve my kids handwriting, and for something to do while they are waiting for me to help them, also i do bible verses(along with other sayings) so it gives the kids a variety of writing styles , its something ive done for years and think its worth it.

if you want to add it do it! if you dont think its benefitcial dont add it! there is no law or anything that says you have to, its helped my kids w/ their handwriting.

lap books are fun!!! be sure to do them with your child!  this page explains it much better than i can!! http://lapbooking.wordpress.com/lapbook/ , they are fun!

notebooking-  quote from notebooking site:  this is another fun thing to do with all the kids work, ive done it for years. its very creative

What is Notebooking?

Notebooking is the coined term for what one may refer to as educational journaling or scrapbooking. Essentially, the idea is to create a compilation of what has been learned and experienced in any number of subjects or activities and organize it in a notebook (or binder).  http://notebookingpages.com/notebooking/

as for teaching subjects you dont know nothing about ive also done that for years!hahahahah  alegbra is not one of my favorite subjects either or geomentry or whats that other one? hahahah cant even think of it! 

what i do is go through whatever the subject i dont know is during the summer months(we take off summers) and i try to always stay a lesson ahead of the kids, eventually they get to where they can teach me! and thats good! it means they understand it!

and i try to make it fun for the ones that dont like it at all,  and teachers manuals i use!! the only subjects i have textbooks for are language arts and math and i have solution manuals and teachers answers keys for them!

jenelle_trader
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I did look into groups.  Unfortunately I only found two in my area  that don't fit us.  One was VERY religous and the other is a co-op with fees and strict schedules/involvement.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

For teaching subjects you can figure out. ..

You can find a homeschool mom group in your local area and they can help you either with resources or like doing a group learning...such as high school kids getting together to study math. Sometimes one of the hs moms who knows a subject will help out. 

But check your laws to make sure that is ok. 

jenelle_trader
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Lol!  Isn't that the truth!  But, to be honest, I just didn't really care about it.  I've gotten a little more interested since then, I LOVE the National Treasure movies.  While not completely based on fact, what was fact was fun.  I hope I can make it fun for dd when the time comes.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

You probably fell asleep during history because textbooks can suck. Luckily, you home school and don't have to use textbooks! History can be fun, hands on, and exciting. Once you figure out note booking (google notebooking for beginners youtube videos), history becomes way more interesting. As for teaching higher math, what better way to learn than to teach? I finally understand fractions from teaching my kids. Your curriculum does most of the teaching, you just have to follow along.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, you really have some time to just relax and help your kiddo to love learning. Learning alongside your children is not the horrible taboo evil that we parents have been made to understand. In fact it is quite the opposite of that. It can be quite stimulating for both you and your child. You have the local library, and you can buy used books and you can utilize the Internet, all to help you with a subject that you may have a weakness in. Just take a deep breath and slowly let it out, all the while telling yourself that you CAN do this. After all, you have been teaching your child since birth all the things that they needed to know in order to grow and grow. If you make a mistake, the wonderful beauty about homeschooling is that you have time to find what you did that wasn't a good fit and look for something that IS a good fit. As your child grows up, you will most likey change how you do/teach as your child will need more challenges to be mentally healthy anyway. Have fun and enjoy each other. :)
oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

hahahah jenelle! yes both of those!!hahahah

but they arent as hard as they seem (as long as you've got a teacher solution key!!!)

Quoting jenelle_trader:

Thank you!  I'll look at those sites.

The other math, were you thinking of Calculus or Trigonometry?  I definitely, will not attempt those, lol!

Quoting oredeb:

hi janelle,

What is Notebooking?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)