Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"Well, I WAS going to tell you he was behind but..."

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
  • 19 Replies
1 mom liked this
Ugh. My mom. *sigh* Theo is just now showing an interest in learning letters. With Cole, I made the mistake of pushing too hard so with Theo (who learns just like his brother) I'm trying to take the more organic route. At VBS, which he just barely made it into because he JUST turned four, I was a little embarrassed when Theo was the only one that couldn't write his name. It didn't help that ALL the other kids either were in Pre K or had already graduated from Pre K. The other teacher, who is a retired prek teacher, was really nice about. She told me not to worry, he was the youngest, etc and so on. So I tell my mom about feeling a bit embarrassed and she is all of a sudden going on about how she knew he was behind, blah, blah, blah. *sigh* Is it so odd that I decided not to push? It's not like we don't do anything. As a matter of fact, when he saw everyone writing their name, he *wrote* what he thought the word jump looks like (IT's his favorite word to *write* and then wrote his numbers from 1 to 15, perfectly. I mean, no, it wasn't his name BUT now he is more interested in writing his name like the other kids did. I was going to start him on a literature based preK this fall when I got the other kids settled into their work. I don't know, just ranting. I suppose it hit me wrong because my mother has this special way of saying everything...in the most obnoxious way ever. She seems to forget she wasn't Mommy of the Year when I was younger. LOL okay, spleen vented. Feeling better. Someone tell me it's okay that my brand new four year old is just now wanting to learn to write his name.
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyMamie
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Heavens, Yes!!  Your little sweetie is so perfectly normal.  My oldest son is turning 5 in a few weeks, and we've been told by several people that he's way ahead of his age group in things he knows (like counting to 100, and has started to read)... YET, he didn't know how to write his name til he'd passed the "Turning 4" mark.  (I can't remember when exactly, but he got it down well about 6 months ago, so age 4 1/2.  Now he's backtracked a little and writes the letters in the wrong order.  Not sure why...)  Anyway, even bright youngsters will pick and choose what they're interested in learning at the moment, right?  So Theo just needed a reason to want to learn how to write his name, and now it sounds like he's found that incentive.  No worries! :) 

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's fine.  My 4 1/2 yr old is just now getting really interested in writing.  He doesn't know how to write his full first name, but he knows most of the letters in it.  I'm happy he's finally showing an interest.  I can't force him to do anything because he gets super emotional when pushed and will throw a tremendous fit.  I think now that your son is interested you'll see him move through learning to write fairly quickly.  Sorry your mom pushed your buttons. :o/  Hopefully when she hears about his progress she'll be more supportive.

Joann.HS
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this
I think its perfectly okay. Now that he has shown an interest, I'll bet he will have it down in no time.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Thanks, ladies!

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

The most important thing that parents can do is make sure the child is in a warm loving home, properly nourished, plenty of interaction and spoken words, give a healthy amount of opportunities to develop his/her thinking skills, and allow the child to develop at his or her own pace - find their own niche. 

He JUST turned 4, he will have his WHOLE life to write his name. 

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Your mom needs to figure out what her "real" issue is, deal with it, and stop being passive aggressive. It is petty.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Meh, my mom can't even admit she has an issue, let alone issues, and is very good at acting the ostrich. Most of the time, it doesn't bug me but every once in a while she manages to tick me off. She's been pushing my buttons for 2 months, now, so maybe she is about out of steam.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Your mom needs to figure out what her "real" issue is, deal with it, and stop being passive aggressive. It is petty.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:26 PM
It is OK that he is just now wanting to write. I think you not pushing is why he is interested now!
lucsch
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM

I want to encourage you that  YOUR plan can work. Sure, every once in a while, doing it differently will meet with an embarrassment--but not forever.

My 4-1/2 yo, well, she was way behind. However, now, as a 5th grader, she is far ahead. We have used a literature-based curriculum (3 different ones)  from the start, and it has worked wonderfully for her. She has had fine-motor skill delays, as well as, a speech delay. We have steadily worked for 6 years. I haven't held her back in anything that she can do, but I've never made her do a lot of workbooks or busy-work that requires a lot of handwriting. Yes, at first, it looked like she was behind, but I am a believer in lit-based, CM-style learning now. It works (and I'd say better for my child).

lucsch
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Oh, and adding, I did not even teach my daughter to write the letters until kindergarten, even though she could read chapter books by the end of that level. So, she was 5-1/2 to 6-1/2yo before she could actually print a word. She had major difficulties even coloring a picture at those ages. You wouldn't know it now. Everyone compliments her on her cursive handwriting. She also draws really well. She can draw a person so you can recognize them! What a difference a few years makes!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)