Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Well, I WAS going to tell you he was behind but..."

Posted by   + Show Post
Ugh. My mom. *sigh* Theo is just now showing an interest in learning letters. With Cole, I made the mistake of pushing too hard so with Theo (who learns just like his brother) I'm trying to take the more organic route. At VBS, which he just barely made it into because he JUST turned four, I was a little embarrassed when Theo was the only one that couldn't write his name. It didn't help that ALL the other kids either were in Pre K or had already graduated from Pre K. The other teacher, who is a retired prek teacher, was really nice about. She told me not to worry, he was the youngest, etc and so on. So I tell my mom about feeling a bit embarrassed and she is all of a sudden going on about how she knew he was behind, blah, blah, blah. *sigh* Is it so odd that I decided not to push? It's not like we don't do anything. As a matter of fact, when he saw everyone writing their name, he *wrote* what he thought the word jump looks like (IT's his favorite word to *write* and then wrote his numbers from 1 to 15, perfectly. I mean, no, it wasn't his name BUT now he is more interested in writing his name like the other kids did. I was going to start him on a literature based preK this fall when I got the other kids settled into their work. I don't know, just ranting. I suppose it hit me wrong because my mother has this special way of saying everything...in the most obnoxious way ever. She seems to forget she wasn't Mommy of the Year when I was younger. LOL okay, spleen vented. Feeling better. Someone tell me it's okay that my brand new four year old is just now wanting to learn to write his name.
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:46 AM
Replies (11-19):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:43 PM

It is perfectly fine.  My son started writing his name well after he turned 4 also.  He turns 5 in Feb.  and he started in April I think.  I made a post about it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Oh mem! You and Theo are just fine. Just remember that you are a step or two ahead of where your mother was with you when you were growing up. Don't buy into the idea that our kids gave to all learn at the same age or they aren't quite up to speed. That us just Bunk! Theo is smart and intelligent just the way he is right now.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:03 AM

My youngest is 4.5.  He still cannot write his full name.  He writes a Q.  I've been told it's because I named him a crazy long name.  LOL.  We're moms and we are homeschooling, so the doubters will blame us for everything.  You are just fine.  He'll write his name when he is ready to write his name.  There are probably things he can do that the others cannot.  So you won't have to use your time teaching that later this year, and you'll use the time to teach him to write his name.  Easy. Peasy.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Chelsey just turned 4 April 30th, and she doesn't even know all her letters yet, doesn't care to color in the lines, and the only letter she can write unprompted is an A or an O. We are taking the more natural route with her as well, and she has just lately even cared about letters, where my older child was already reading very well by now. Occasionally I think I need to ramp it up, and then I remember she is just a child, and you only get to be a child once. What is important right now is playing, having fun, learning to be a kind, helpful, loving person. She needs to move constantly and forcing her to write and read before she is ready will just frustrate both of us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:19 AM

I don't think my 4 yr old could even hold  a pencil. There is no way he could have written his name, nor would he have wanted or needed to.  Boys especially have more difficulty with fine motor skills, so its not unusual at all for him to be right where he's at. 

monkeybunns
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:11 PM
Absolutely! My son was way ahead with reading but didn't have the dexterity to write until after he was 4. He started writing his name around 4 1/2 just before he finished learning to write his letters. He still can't cut well and is 5 but he has plenty of time to figure that out (especially since I don't leave him unattended without scissors because he tends to get in trouble). That's great he's getting interested in it now :)
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I have a a 4.5 year old and he can write his name, but I have to tell him the letters.  He does not know all his abcs yet, but I have not pushed him.  We are starting co-op in a couple of weeks, and I found myself worrying about what if all the other 4 year olds were ahead of him. So I understand your feelings.

lil_mama06
by Debbie on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:57 PM
HUGS..Sounds like our mothers should get together..Mine tells me how I'm "screwing" up my kids...I just tell her No, I "screwed"up the 1st one by FORCING her to go to school...But once we learned about homeschooling..I'm onboard...Your son will be fine...
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM
I think you are doing just fine! I pushed and pushed and pushed my son when he was younger and not ready to learn it. When if I had waited a little while, he would have learned it in a snap.
When he is ready he will have it in no time flat.
Don't stress about it. We live in a society of push push push. So anytime someone goes against the grain, people get upset.
You are doing just fine. Don't let your mom or anyone else get to you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)