Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just For Fun: What Is the Worst Mess Your Kids Have Ever Made?

7 Worst Messes My Kids Have Made

by Kristen Chase

7 worst messes my kids ever madeIf you've got kids, then you know how messy they are. Even the neat ones. 

Wait, are there actually neat kids?

After comparing my kids' messes with a friend of mine, I thought it might be fun to rank order them all.

Now I have four kids under the age of nine, so I'm pretty sure you can imagine how messy my house can get. So without further ado, here are the 7 worst messes my kids have made. Can you relate?

7. The Lego Closet

We use a Swoop Bag for our LEGOs which is a brilliant organizational gadget, except when your kids decide to dump every single tiny LEGO out in their closet. On the bright side, they're contained in a closet, but on the down side, you've got 4517201 LEGOs in your closet.

6. Paper Towel Party

I'm not quite sure exactly what I was doing at the time, but my two middle children decided to unroll about three paper towel rolls and shred them all over my kitchen (see above) I swear I was finding paper towels in all sorts of weird places in my kitchen for days after. And yes, it's worst than LEGOs because you've got piles of paper towels completely USELESS. Argh!

5. It's Raining Styrofoam Peanuts! 

I'd love to personally strangle whoever invented styrofoam peanuts, because I cannot tell you how many times I've had to clean them up off my floor. The winner was when I had an entire near television size box of peanuts in my foyer that the kids had to decided to tear apart and toss in the air like rain.

4. Toilet water puddles

Just a few days ago, my little girls decided to go to the potty together (one on the big toilet, one on the baby potty) and then when they clogged the toilet, they decided to plunge it themselves. And then jump in the water. Gross.

3. Maple syrup spill

I'm not quite sure how my son managed to drop the entire container of maple syrup, but he did, and it broke, thus covering my kitchen floor in a large puddle of maple syrup. I have never cleaned up something so sticky in my life. In fact, I think the spot is still sticky.

2. Inky Naptime

Many years ago when my now 9-year old was just two, we lived with my in-laws and instead of napping, she decided to play with a broken ink pen in her room. I walked in to discover the white carpet, the walls, and her hands and face covered in ink. Hooray for Stainmaster carpets. And paint.

1. Powdery Web

By far, the worst mess was when my two middle children (are you sensing a theme here) got a hold of a container of GoldBond powder and completely covered my entire living room with it. The whole room was WHITE. To make matters worse, they took about four balls of yarn and wrapped them around the furniture, creating a powdery, yarn spiderweb.

Tell me about the worst mess your kids ever made!

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Replies (11-20):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:19 PM

You don't want to know!

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Dry erase marker is also permanent on plaster walls. My girl did that too and tried to blame it on her littler brother. He was not old enough to make such regular lines or tall enough either.

Quoting hwblyf:

This made me smile.  I walked in on my youngest dunking a toy in the toilet and then putting it in his mouth.  Repeatedly.  :(

There's so much mess/disaster in my house, it's so very hard to quantify.  But I think the one that made my head hurt the most was the permanent marker (note to self:  moving markers should get put away when not in immediate contact with an adult hand) all over the carpet, the couch, and the glider.  I still have that glider, and it still makes my head hurt.  I did track the pencil marks all down the hallway wall and up the stairs, too.  They move quickly when they want to.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

One day I walked in to my girl playing with poop. What a mess. My son doesn't make messes. Just like his Dad.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Yeah, my poor youngest.  Before he was really old enough to defend himself, everything was his fault.  He was mighty meddlesome as a baby and toddler!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Dry erase marker is also permanent on plaster walls. My girl did that too and tried to blame it on her littler brother. He was not old enough to make such regular lines or tall enough either.

Quoting hwblyf:

This made me smile.  I walked in on my youngest dunking a toy in the toilet and then putting it in his mouth.  Repeatedly.  :(

There's so much mess/disaster in my house, it's so very hard to quantify.  But I think the one that made my head hurt the most was the permanent marker (note to self:  moving markers should get put away when not in immediate contact with an adult hand) all over the carpet, the couch, and the glider.  I still have that glider, and it still makes my head hurt.  I did track the pencil marks all down the hallway wall and up the stairs, too.  They move quickly when they want to.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

One day I walked in to my girl playing with poop. What a mess. My son doesn't make messes. Just like his Dad.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

LOL. I know how that goes. Poor babies.

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, my poor youngest.  Before he was really old enough to defend himself, everything was his fault.  He was mighty meddlesome as a baby and toddler!

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM

My son once dumped out a gallon of wall paint onto the carpets while daddy was watching the kids (napping). This was back when my son was like 2yrs old - so about 9yrs ago. Shop vac got it all out amazingly!!

My son once put conditioner all inside my printer. 

My son once put his older sisters pet fish in the toilet because it needed a bigger home.

My son once had a pb container laying open on its side because he wanted pet ants. 

My son wouldn't sleep much and he would get up while everyone was sleeping at night - and I woke up to markers all over the walls - a few times. 

One time, my then 2yr old son convinced my 1yr old daughter to colored herself green - with a permanent marker.

I know that trauma has erased some memories because there were more than just these...

All my "great mess stories" can all link back to my sons terrible two's. He is now 11yrs old and a little less terrible =)

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

ninja

Quoting hwblyf:

They move quickly when they want to.

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM
My boxes of pantiliners peeled off ang stuck on the walls like stickers and broke a dozen of eggs on the floor and played with it. Both incidents my parents were babysitting him.
lucsch
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Stomach virus + spaghetti + toddler is not a good combination.

My dd decided to draw murals on my sewing room walls. LOL I guess I wasn't watching her closely enough because all four walls were filled up! I really hated to paint over it.

My whole basement, prior to us finishing it, was just a big play area. At one point, I just went down there and bagged it all up and threw it out. Too many toys not organized pushed me over the edge, I guess!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I totally forgot about our basement.  My kids are being raised by wolves.  They were allowed down in the unfinished basement for maybe a month after we bought the house.  Then we noticed how much of the insulation was ripped and strewn about.  Good times.

I wasn't counting illnesses.  Rotavirus tops it all.

Quoting lucsch:

Stomach virus + spaghetti + toddler is not a good combination.

My dd decided to draw murals on my sewing room walls. LOL I guess I wasn't watching her closely enough because all four walls were filled up! I really hated to paint over it.

My whole basement, prior to us finishing it, was just a big play area. At one point, I just went down there and bagged it all up and threw it out. Too many toys not organized pushed me over the edge, I guess!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:06 PM

How many times have you gotten them to babysit since?  This may have been part of an evil genius plan on their part.  :)

Quoting mommy4lyf:

My boxes of pantiliners peeled off ang stuck on the walls like stickers and broke a dozen of eggs on the floor and played with it. Both incidents my parents were babysitting him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)