Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Just For Fun: What Is the Worst Mess Your Kids Have Ever Made?

7 Worst Messes My Kids Have Made

by Kristen Chase

7 worst messes my kids ever madeIf you've got kids, then you know how messy they are. Even the neat ones. 

Wait, are there actually neat kids?

After comparing my kids' messes with a friend of mine, I thought it might be fun to rank order them all.

Now I have four kids under the age of nine, so I'm pretty sure you can imagine how messy my house can get. So without further ado, here are the 7 worst messes my kids have made. Can you relate?

7. The Lego Closet

We use a Swoop Bag for our LEGOs which is a brilliant organizational gadget, except when your kids decide to dump every single tiny LEGO out in their closet. On the bright side, they're contained in a closet, but on the down side, you've got 4517201 LEGOs in your closet.

6. Paper Towel Party

I'm not quite sure exactly what I was doing at the time, but my two middle children decided to unroll about three paper towel rolls and shred them all over my kitchen (see above) I swear I was finding paper towels in all sorts of weird places in my kitchen for days after. And yes, it's worst than LEGOs because you've got piles of paper towels completely USELESS. Argh!

5. It's Raining Styrofoam Peanuts! 

I'd love to personally strangle whoever invented styrofoam peanuts, because I cannot tell you how many times I've had to clean them up off my floor. The winner was when I had an entire near television size box of peanuts in my foyer that the kids had to decided to tear apart and toss in the air like rain.

4. Toilet water puddles

Just a few days ago, my little girls decided to go to the potty together (one on the big toilet, one on the baby potty) and then when they clogged the toilet, they decided to plunge it themselves. And then jump in the water. Gross.

3. Maple syrup spill

I'm not quite sure how my son managed to drop the entire container of maple syrup, but he did, and it broke, thus covering my kitchen floor in a large puddle of maple syrup. I have never cleaned up something so sticky in my life. In fact, I think the spot is still sticky.

2. Inky Naptime

Many years ago when my now 9-year old was just two, we lived with my in-laws and instead of napping, she decided to play with a broken ink pen in her room. I walked in to discover the white carpet, the walls, and her hands and face covered in ink. Hooray for Stainmaster carpets. And paint.

1. Powdery Web

By far, the worst mess was when my two middle children (are you sensing a theme here) got a hold of a container of GoldBond powder and completely covered my entire living room with it. The whole room was WHITE. To make matters worse, they took about four balls of yarn and wrapped them around the furniture, creating a powdery, yarn spiderweb.

Tell me about the worst mess your kids ever made!

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Replies (31-33):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I haven't spoken to my mom's sisters in YEARS!  Sometimes I forget she even has them, three of them.  Two she sees regularly and I don't speak to at all, the third she doesn't speak to at all and I see on facebook, but not in person.  It has been about 9 years since I have spoken to the two my mom is closer to.  They couldn't keep their noses out of my life, so I just stopped making any effort to see them. 

It was scary to have them call and say they were coming.  It was annoying too, because I was working for the county as a visitation supervisor-supervising parents that didn't have custody of their kids.  I also know that in our state, only 50% of calls get looked into because there just isn't enough staff or hours to look into all of them, so it was annoying that we were looked into for one call about a 'dirty' home made by an ex...

Quoting hwblyf:

My mom has some interesting tales of police and other woes from when she was a youngster, but her sisters (really, just the mean one) likes to take unnecessary jabs.

It's nice that nothing much came of the CPS visit.  That's scary to have to prove yourself.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Well when they came, there were no dirty dishes and the house was spotless ;). Unfortunately, just a few days before DH had caught the youngsters "playing doctor" and had to have a firm discussion with them, so DS brought this up to the nice CPS lady..so we explained it. And that was the end of it, got a letter that it was "unfounded" or whatever they say and there was no further investigation. SDs mother enjoyed causing trouble every time she was unhappy. Luckily she has been happy for the past year and a half so we haven't heard from her.

I think most kids require a lot of work! Lol, my mom also likes to remind me how awful I was as a tween and that this is my payback, but I do wonder how she was as a tween, lol. Funny thing is, my sd isn't even biologically mine yet she acts just like I did at her age. They can't give me the apple speech, but they still find ways to take a jab!

Quoting hwblyf:

Wow.  I assume they took all the kids because of those dishes, right?  Man, if that were all it took, my kids would have been gone a LONG time ago!!!!

And my kids are good.  My kids just require a lot of work.  I have a lot of family (let's just call them jackasses) who like to remind me that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  Ah, it must be nice to be so perfect....  Of course, I wonder from which apple tree they think I fell!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

This is the funniest post. You must be a lot of fun to hang out with IRL, lol.

My kids were really good kids. Now sd is 10 and miserable, her life is horrible, no one likes her, everyone is mean to her, she slams doors and yells all the time. We are starting to get our pay back for the easy years I think...I can't even imagine how DS will be, he's 11 and still pretty good, I'm sure he will be the one running away at 16 and experimenting :0. I don't know what else he could do, he can't be good forever! He is a master instigator of his sister though, maybe that's bad enough.

CPS was called on us once if that makes you feel any better...SDs mother called because we had dirty dishes in the sink! God forbid! DH and I were both working ft and going to school ft and had two toddlers nearly ft...yep dishes could wait lots of days.

Quoting hwblyf:

What I have heard, and what I cling to, is that the harder they were as young kids, the easier they are as teens.  So that means that your angels are challenging in teen years and your little devil man should be a breeze.  That's what I keep chanting, 24/7.  I've only been to the ER twice (technically the 3rd time I didn't go, my husband did), we've only replaced one window, the VCR was old and had to go away anyways (though really, I wasn't going to get rid of it since I had 8 billion Disney movies in that format), and the nice men doing construction in our neighborhood only walked my 4th back to the house once (he made it to the main street outside of the neighborhood, and when prodded--I was in the bathroom at the time--my daughter admitted to knowing he had left the yard, the boys hadn't noticed), and CPS was NEVER called despite my then 1 year old sitting on top of the island in front of the window facing the common path behind our house whilst weilding a cleaver attempting to get himself banana bread.  Life sure ain't dull!

And my daughter, the middle of 5, asks me all the time WHY I asked God for so many boys.  I assure her that I did not, but God laughs daily.  :)

Quoting celticdragon77:

If I would have wrote it down, it would have been Ranting journal Enteries that looked like @!*&% THIS!!!!!!!!!

My son is the only boy - the middle child - and NOT happy about getting a little sister around that time.

My oldest daughter was a total anger - for real. We are very close, but since becoming a teenager... oh my, there have been some doozies!!!

My youngest daughter was also pretty good - except when her brother was able to scam her into trouble. She is hilarious to talk to though. And I FEAR her teenage years!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

I have intentionally forgotten a lot.  A LOT.  My mom kept telling me to write it down, but I don't want to hold too terribly much over their heads later in life.  After all, it's not like they were well thought out actions.  But I have to say, I am amazed how much is linked to your son.  :)  I have 4 boys, so my stories span more than one child.  And oddly, my daughter doesn't make that much a mess.  Hmmm.....I'm going to have to contemplate that one.  :)

Quoting celticdragon77:

My son once dumped out a gallon of wall paint onto the carpets while daddy was watching the kids (napping). This was back when my son was like 2yrs old - so about 9yrs ago. Shop vac got it all out amazingly!!

My son once put conditioner all inside my printer. 

My son once put his older sisters pet fish in the toilet because it needed a bigger home.

My son once had a pb container laying open on its side because he wanted pet ants. 

My son wouldn't sleep much and he would get up while everyone was sleeping at night - and I woke up to markers all over the walls - a few times. 

One time, my then 2yr old son convinced my 1yr old daughter to colored herself green - with a permanent marker.

I know that trauma has erased some memories because there were more than just these...

All my "great mess stories" can all link back to my sons terrible two's. He is now 11yrs old and a little less terrible =)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe they chose you because they knew you'd be an easy visit, quick and simple?

I only see/hear from my aunts for family gatherings, funerals and the like.  I enjoy most of my family, but one aunt can't help but be snarky.  Bringing more pain to a situation than can be excused.  Oh well.  Once every 5 years is plenty to remember that!

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I haven't spoken to my mom's sisters in YEARS!  Sometimes I forget she even has them, three of them.  Two she sees regularly and I don't speak to at all, the third she doesn't speak to at all and I see on facebook, but not in person.  It has been about 9 years since I have spoken to the two my mom is closer to.  They couldn't keep their noses out of my life, so I just stopped making any effort to see them. 

It was scary to have them call and say they were coming.  It was annoying too, because I was working for the county as a visitation supervisor-supervising parents that didn't have custody of their kids.  I also know that in our state, only 50% of calls get looked into because there just isn't enough staff or hours to look into all of them, so it was annoying that we were looked into for one call about a 'dirty' home made by an ex...

Quoting hwblyf:

My mom has some interesting tales of police and other woes from when she was a youngster, but her sisters (really, just the mean one) likes to take unnecessary jabs.

It's nice that nothing much came of the CPS visit.  That's scary to have to prove yourself.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM

That works too.  =)

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We weren't hsing yet, lol. If we had been, that is totally what I would have done. But since I was over stressed, I got a little annoyed and made her clean it up. Then I explained how seeds also need dirt and sun, lol.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What you should have done... with all kinds of overzealous enthusiasm, gone and got your husband, and been like..."Look, look.. I think homeschooling is working!!!"

woohoo

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

A funny story, but not too messy...my dd once tried to plant popcorn in my room, while they were watching a movie I went to the bathroom, came back in to a little pile of wet popcorn kernels on the carpet. I guess dd thought if she put the "seeds" on the ground and watered them, they would grow into popcorn? She was about 3, I was annoyed, but impressed she knew to water seeds lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN