Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you teach more than one grade level?

Posted by   + Show Post

hints and ideas about teaching more than one grade level at a time?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:35 AM
My oldest is very independent. He doesn't need or want much help.

However, my middle son has a learning disability and ADHD. He is somewhat behind.

My youngest is VERY advanced, very smart. We often do lessons with the younger two together.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I used to just take turns after we'd done our "together" work. One would work on copying letters, or simple addition, while I was working with the other. Then I'd switch off. Probably not the most efficient use of time, but it worked for us at the time. Gradually they become independent enough where I am mostly  just a supervisor, but my 5 th grader still likes me to be fairly close.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I haven't quite figured it out yet... My little guy (PreK/K/1st-he's all over lol) will be joining the school world as a definite this year. He's been ready since last year, and the loose schedule I had with him at the end of last year did not work with his personality, so I'm going to have to figure out a more structured approach for him in the midst of doing 4th grade work with my daughter. This year we're doing sign language as our "foreign language" and they can do that together. Next year I think their science will parallel and the year after history will, and that should make it a little easier, but there is such a gap between them it's hard to tell how much I can actually keep together.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I have a 2nd grader (she does anywhere from 2nd to 4th grade work), a 1st grader, a 4 year old and a 3 year old.

My 2nd and 1st grader have different reading and math.  My 4 and 3 year olds do the same reading and math.  I just let them work at thier own pace. We are doing kindergarten work but I dont expect them to do everything perfectly.  I plan kindergarten to take 2 years at the least.

They all do history and science together. My youngest 3 do lit together and my oldest has her own.

If I am working with one kid and someone else needs help then they have small educational toys they can play with while they wait their turn. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I LOVE the one room schoolhouse!!!!

Quoting romacox:

Much like the old  one room school house: The following articles do not have your topic as the main subject, but give examples of how I teach several different ages at the same time. 

Whole Brain Teaching

Age Grading Is A bad Idea

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

One year I had a kindergartner, a second grader, a third grader, a 5th grader, and two 6th graders....all at the same time. They all learned from each other, and helped teach one another.  I like using a bonding session before lessons begin.  That way they begin to learn how to look out for, and help each other.  We had a blast

Quoting kirbymom:

I LOVE the one room schoolhouse!!!!

Quoting romacox:

Much like the old  one room school house: The following articles do not have your topic as the main subject, but give examples of how I teach several different ages at the same time. 

Whole Brain Teaching

Age Grading Is A bad Idea

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:30 PM
I bet you did have a blast. Lol
What did you do in your bonding sessions?

Quoting romacox:

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

There are various activities I use.  .  One of my favorites is to have each child draw a picture of themselves, and tape it on their back.  Then everyone takes turns writing something positive about that person.  It has to be positive, and it has to be true.  They have difficulty at first complimenting each other face to face.  But after awhile they are able to do that.  We also pass a hart around the circle.  I ask a question, and whoever has the hart gets total attention from everyone, and is the only one allowed to speak.  They indicate that they are finished with that topic by passing the hart around the circle in silence.  I then ask another question.  Questions start out like...what was the most fun thing you did today.  And as time goes by, and they get good at supporting each other, I make the questions more personal.  They also have a right to pass, meaning they don't have to answer the question. 

Quoting kirbymom:

I bet you did have a blast. Lol
What did you do in your bonding sessions?

Quoting romacox:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Sounds quite interesting. Builds trust towards each other. :)

Quoting romacox:

sdgd21
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Aside from me schooling for 8 hours a day LOL I have not figured that out. In the morning so that we could borrow study music French. From then on I work with them all individually. I have a 10th-grader and a 8th grader, a fifth grader, and a first grader.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)