Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you do your homeschooling?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 50 Replies

This is our first year, and now that we're so close to starting I wondered where all of you ladies do your actual hs work?  Is the couch to casual for a reading lesson?  The kitchen alright for lab experiments?  I figure writing is the important one for posture/height; will dd's little table work just fine for that?  On days when it's nice out do you ever go outside?  We have a picnic table and if it's not too breezy it should be just about perfect for all of our books/materials.

We don't have an actual school desk, but it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use those after the first year anyhow.

Thanks, in advance, for your input ladies!

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a little school area with a desk in my daughters room, but most of the time we are at the kitchen table, the couch, the picnic table outside, and even the trampoline from time to time.
TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:21 AM
That's fun!

We have a trampoline too and have used it for math facts. :). That's a comfortable spot for lessons.

Quoting Dawn07:

We have a little school area with a desk in my daughters room, but most of the time we are at the kitchen table, the couch, the picnic table outside, and even the trampoline from time to time.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this

We don't have a desk, we plan to use the table sometimes, the kids have lap desks so they can sit anywhere and do work, we will use the couch or outside.  I would love to get a picnic table, maybe that could be a project for the kids to build!

AJ-47
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
My Son has His own school area in our living room.
TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:42 AM
With a little desk? Dd's table is the same height as one so that may be the best spot for her handwriting.

Quoting AJ-47:

TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM
That would be a good project!

Those lap desks seem super handy. They'd let us have all the books out on the couch for math time when we can't be outside.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We don't have a desk, we plan to use the table sometimes, the kids have lap desks so they can sit anywhere and do work, we will use the couch or outside.  I would love to get a picnic table, maybe that could be a project for the kids to build!

AJ-47
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this
He has a very nice table to do His schoolwork at. It's great quality, but made for kids. The height is perfect.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

With a little desk? Dd's table is the same height as one so that may be the best spot for her handwriting.

Quoting AJ-47:

smalltownmom03
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

We have desks in the dining room that we sit at to do any written work. Reading is done on the couch, and any group work (science and art projects) is done at the dining room table. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

We school anywhere. My dd prefers her room. Ds kind of wanders.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Each of my kids have a desk (or little table) to work at when they need to.   They use the kitchen table, the kitchen counter, the couch, the tv, this year they will probably work outside also since we have a nice big backyard.  You can work anywhere and however you want.  I do keep a decorated school room so I can keep organized and the kids use it sometimes but not all the time.  We start out in there and end up in 5 different places but they put thier stuff back in the school room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN