Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you do your homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is our first year, and now that we're so close to starting I wondered where all of you ladies do your actual hs work?  Is the couch to casual for a reading lesson?  The kitchen alright for lab experiments?  I figure writing is the important one for posture/height; will dd's little table work just fine for that?  On days when it's nice out do you ever go outside?  We have a picnic table and if it's not too breezy it should be just about perfect for all of our books/materials.

We don't have an actual school desk, but it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use those after the first year anyhow.

Thanks, in advance, for your input ladies!

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Replies (41-50):
TidewaterClan
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Thanks!  DH picked one up for me last night (along with a 44# bag of dog food).  :)  I'll keep her clipboard handy for writing on instead of directly on the table.

Quoting coala:

You are so very welcome.  We love them.  I can take them down at a moments notice when we are having company.  I can pack them and take them to a friends when they need extra tables for a party.  They clean easily as well.  Just remember to put something under their work that is a smooth surface b/c when they write with paper directly on the table it will be bumpy and not smooth as well as their coloring.  It just looks terrible.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Lol! I've been looking at them for the past three months. :) Thanks for helping me make the final decision to go ahead and buy one. :,D

Quoting coala:

That is where we got them.  LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

They have tables like that at Sam's Club, with legs that can raise or lower.  The park district has used those for craft time and they're super handy.  That sounds like a good idea too, especially if she gets distracted at the dining room table or wants to sit on the floor instead of a chair.

Quoting coala:

We use 2 4ft folding tables in the living room.  They can sprawl anywhere for independant reading and supplemental work.

TidewaterClan
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:52 AM

School in the pool sounds like tons of fun!  :)

Quoting marrionsmommy:

We have a schoolrokm when ds did prek we used it religiouslly, for k we rarely did. I think we d more school in the pool last year than we did in that room lol (we live innflorida) usually we r in my bed, or on the couch using tv tables.

TidewaterClan
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

All the flexibility just seems so different!  We have some fantastic historical sites near us, including a one-room schoolhouse, and I'm looking forward to doing part of our regular learning at places like that too.  There are so many things we can do that a regular school just can't.  :)

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

We do everything that you described in your post. lol We do school anywhere and everywhere. :)

BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

We use part of the livingroom for our "school room". We have a little table where they do their work at, but they have already out grown it. While I would love to have desk downstairs we live in military housing and will be moving often. So we will never have the same amount of space. We will probably use the dining room table for writting. Reading can be down anywhere but normally happens on the couch. We have had science "lessons" while floating in the ocean, so really I don't think there is anywhere you can't teach them.

TidewaterClan
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:02 AM

That sounds like an awesome science lesson!  

Is one of the your reasons for homeschooling because you all are in the military?  I've met some local ladies whose husbands are in the Air Force and they like to keep school consistent for their children.

Quoting BrittO2:

We use part of the livingroom for our "school room". We have a little table where they do their work at, but they have already out grown it. While I would love to have desk downstairs we live in military housing and will be moving often. So we will never have the same amount of space. We will probably use the dining room table for writting. Reading can be down anywhere but normally happens on the couch. We have had science "lessons" while floating in the ocean, so really I don't think there is anywhere you can't teach them.

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

My do a lot at the dining room table. Sometimes we do stuff on the floor. My son likes to stretch out in front of our sliding door to do some of this stuff. We use the couch for riding & we do a lot outside.

BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 2:59 PM

We have a list of reasons but our main reason for homeschooling is that our son has bipolar disorder and is currently being evaluated for Abergers. He is unable to thrive in any situation where there are large groups. We had a 4th grader bring a gun to school last year and another one exposed himself and started masturbating in class while saying derogatory things about his female classmates. DS was attending one of the "best" public schools up here. We are also hoping to get orders to Spain or Italy next year so homeschooling would be the best option in that situation.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That sounds like an awesome science lesson!  

Is one of the your reasons for homeschooling because you all are in the military?  I've met some local ladies whose husbands are in the Air Force and they like to keep school consistent for their children.

Quoting BrittO2:

kyfiregirl
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

we turned our formal dinning room into a "classroom" but i like the idea of reading in the livingroom or doing work outside when its nice!

TidewaterClan
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:52 PM

That's horrible about the gun and that boy exposing himself.  My daughter has had to deal with boys punching her (and other students) and constant bullying, but no one has brought weapons or anything as bad as that.  

I hope you get stationed in Italy or Spain too!  That would be a terrific opportunity and experience!  

Quoting BrittO2:

We have a list of reasons but our main reason for homeschooling is that our son has bipolar disorder and is currently being evaluated for Abergers. He is unable to thrive in any situation where there are large groups. We had a 4th grader bring a gun to school last year and another one exposed himself and started masturbating in class while saying derogatory things about his female classmates. DS was attending one of the "best" public schools up here. We are also hoping to get orders to Spain or Italy next year so homeschooling would be the best option in that situation.

BrittO2
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I know! What better way for the children to learn about other cultures and languages than to live in them?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's horrible about the gun and that boy exposing himself.  My daughter has had to deal with boys punching her (and other students) and constant bullying, but no one has brought weapons or anything as bad as that.  

I hope you get stationed in Italy or Spain too!  That would be a terrific opportunity and experience!  

Quoting BrittO2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN