Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Where do you do your homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is our first year, and now that we're so close to starting I wondered where all of you ladies do your actual hs work?  Is the couch to casual for a reading lesson?  The kitchen alright for lab experiments?  I figure writing is the important one for posture/height; will dd's little table work just fine for that?  On days when it's nice out do you ever go outside?  We have a picnic table and if it's not too breezy it should be just about perfect for all of our books/materials.

We don't have an actual school desk, but it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use those after the first year anyhow.

Thanks, in advance, for your input ladies!

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I haven't started yet, but I can tell you we won't be at a desk all day.  D doesn't like to sit still.  I got him a lapdesk so he could do his work where ever he wanted to.  Inside, outside, in the car, at the park, doesn't matter to me where he does it, just that he gets it done. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

Where do we homeschool?  Everywhere!  LOL.  Today we started on the couch.  When the temperature went up outside, we moved to the swing.  For math we moved to the living-room floor.  For science, we needed it dark so we went to the cold cellar.  We curled up back on the swing to read for our history lesson, then moved to the kitchen table to write while I cooked lunch.  They'll do their own reading in their beds during our Flat on Bed (quiet time)!!  Then we'll head outside for garden time and gym is bike riding in the driveway!  LOL... see... everywhere.

STARRYVONN
by New Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Kitchen table, desks in their rooms, outside and couch.
swim-mom72
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My highschooler has a desk is his room where he prefers to work.

My 8th grader and I use the office. We have a partner desk (2 people can use it at once) and a couch. I sit on the couch and he works at the desk. Sometimes he will move to the patio or to the desk in his room. But, as long as they are being productive, I am fine with school taking place anywhere : )

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

When the kids were little we did our school work at home, the park, the mall, and just about anywhere else the kids and I felt like going.  If they finished what I put in front of them then we went off to have fun.

Now that the kids are all older, typing and doing a lot more computer related work we do most of our schooling at home.  They do their work on the couch, kitchen table, desks, the floor, their bed and even outside on our lawn.  I could care less where they school, as long as the work is done.

You could get a lap desk for your daughter to carry around and write on or use your kitchen table for writing projects.  Science/art projects could be done on your kitchen table or even in your driveway or garage if it's something explosive and messy.

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Jul. 30, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Mostly at the kitchen table.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Right now, mostly anywhere we can get started. Which is mostly at the office most days.
TidewaterClan
by Kate on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you ladies!  It's just so different after seeing the ps classroom so many times while volunteering!  :)  A nice lap desk should really work well along with outside.  Definitely a good idea on experiments in the driveway.  Most of our art time for fun is out there.

It just seems like we'll be having too much fun compared to her other school years. smile

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Mostly outside and the kitchen table, and couch... And floor. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

We turned our basement into a school room/guest room, but we never go down there. Hubby took over the design and did not make it school friendly, so now its a workout room/guest room lol and we went back to the kitchen table.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)