Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you do your homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is our first year, and now that we're so close to starting I wondered where all of you ladies do your actual hs work?  Is the couch to casual for a reading lesson?  The kitchen alright for lab experiments?  I figure writing is the important one for posture/height; will dd's little table work just fine for that?  On days when it's nice out do you ever go outside?  We have a picnic table and if it's not too breezy it should be just about perfect for all of our books/materials.

We don't have an actual school desk, but it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use those after the first year anyhow.

Thanks, in advance, for your input ladies!

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Replies (21-30):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

We have a large bedroom devoted to being the school room. We have folding tables and chairs, their workbox shelves, a computer desk with computer (and a 2nd computer on a folding table), a giant dry erase board, and bookshelves in that room. We do 75% of our schooling in there.

For reading aloud, we sometimes go outside on blankets if the weather is nice. Otherwise we do it in the living room. They like to write or draw while I read aloud to them, so they spread out on the floor and I lay on the sofa. ;)

For science we are either outside or at the kitchen table or the kitchen counter. 

TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:28 PM
That sounds like a nice set up!

Quoting hipmomto3:

We have a large bedroom devoted to being the school room. We have folding tables and chairs, their workbox shelves, a computer desk with computer (and a 2nd computer on a folding table), a giant dry erase board, and bookshelves in that room. We do 75% of our schooling in there.

For reading aloud, we sometimes go outside on blankets if the weather is nice. Otherwise we do it in the living room. They like to write or draw while I read aloud to them, so they spread out on the floor and I lay on the sofa. ;)

For science we are either outside or at the kitchen table or the kitchen counter. 

almondpigeon
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

our "computer" room also serves as a class room.  we have an old dining room table in there to use instead of desks and there's plenty of wall space to hang all of their art creations.  before we moved here, though, we just used the kitchen table and that worked fine. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this

We use 2 4ft folding tables in the living room.  They can sprawl anywhere for independant reading and supplemental work.

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
We converted our small room into classroom. My son get easily distracted in the kitchen table. He always wants to drink or eat while working on his workbooks.
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommy4lyf:

We converted our small room into classroom. My son get easily distracted in the kitchen table. He always wants to drink or eat while working on his workbooks.

My kids also get distracted when we're all working at the same table. In our first couple of years homeschooling we had just 1 child doing school, so we'd do it at the table with her while her siblings slept. As everyone got older, we did one year of individual "school" desks, which was really cute, but kind of odd. The next year we did a combo of those desks and the kitchen table. Last year we bought a dining table for our school room, but everyone got a little off track by seeing what everyone else was working on! Hopefully this year will be better. All the folding tables face walls, so their backs will be to each other. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this
Kitchen Table
mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hipmomto3:

Quoting mommy4lyf:

My kids also get distracted when we're all working at the same table. In our first couple of years homeschooling we had just 1 child doing school, so we'd do it at the table with her while her siblings slept. As everyone got older, we did one year of individual "school" desks, which was really cute, but kind of odd. The next year we did a combo of those desks and the kitchen table. Last year we bought a dining table for our school room, but everyone got a little off track by seeing what everyone else was working on! Hopefully this year will be better. All the folding tables face walls, so their backs will be to each other. 

I see. I have to deal with just one. You are good! I can't imagine teaching another kid lol I started using the kitchen table when I was partial homeschooling. It worked in the beginning till his using the water break just to kill the time so we decided to move him downstairs. He's more focus because he can't take a break anytime he likes. 

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:10 PM
1 mom liked this

we also homeschool all over the house and outside

chlippr77
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
We "school" all over the house. All four of my kiddos have all their school books in a hanging file box that has a compartment on top where they keep their pencils, scissors, crayons/colored pencils, glue, etc. They can take it anywhere they like, even outside to the porch. We purchased a set of 4 wooden T.V. trays at the thrift store, and two of them usually set themselves up a little desk area in the living room using one of those trays. Our house has an extra parlor/dining room area, which we call the school room, but that's really just were we keep everything, and where my desk area is. My only rule is that the work must be accomplished. If they go off into another room and I find their work isn't getting done, then they will have to stay in my sight for the next week (or longer if necessary), which really is a pain, because they never know where I'll be (doing laundry, cleaning the kitty litter, watering the lawn, scrubbing the toilet, etc.). They hate following me around, so they usually get their work done without a fuss.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)