Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Where do you do your homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

This is our first year, and now that we're so close to starting I wondered where all of you ladies do your actual hs work?  Is the couch to casual for a reading lesson?  The kitchen alright for lab experiments?  I figure writing is the important one for posture/height; will dd's little table work just fine for that?  On days when it's nice out do you ever go outside?  We have a picnic table and if it's not too breezy it should be just about perfect for all of our books/materials.

We don't have an actual school desk, but it doesn't seem like a lot of folks use those after the first year anyhow.

Thanks, in advance, for your input ladies!

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Replies (31-40):
mamabens
by Miranda on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Mainly the living room or kitchen but really wherever they want

lucsch
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

From K4 through 3rd grade, we had school on our couch. I have a small student desk we could pull up for written work. For 4th grade, last fall, we moved up to the dining room. It worked very well. My dd takes some of her work to the next room so she can read on the couch, but it is much easier to juggle and store our books in the dining room. Last month, I had my dh install a whiteboard to use for 5th grade.So, you can see the progression from free-style, lots of read-alouds, to a more traditional lecturing and written work style, even though we are sticking very much to a literature-based, Charlotte Mason style learning model. She is just geting older, and the work is more rigorous, requiring more writing and lots more books!

TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM

They have tables like that at Sam's Club, with legs that can raise or lower.  The park district has used those for craft time and they're super handy.  That sounds like a good idea too, especially if she gets distracted at the dining room table or wants to sit on the floor instead of a chair.

Quoting coala:

We use 2 4ft folding tables in the living room.  They can sprawl anywhere for independant reading and supplemental work.

TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That makes sense, and is a pretty neat progression.  Sounds like you have a well-designed layout for her.

Quoting lucsch:

From K4 through 3rd grade, we had school on our couch. I have a small student desk we could pull up for written work. For 4th grade, last fall, we moved up to the dining room. It worked very well. My dd takes some of her work to the next room so she can read on the couch, but it is much easier to juggle and store our books in the dining room. Last month, I had my dh install a whiteboard to use for 5th grade.So, you can see the progression from free-style, lots of read-alouds, to a more traditional lecturing and written work style, even though we are sticking very much to a literature-based, Charlotte Mason style learning model. She is just geting older, and the work is more rigorous, requiring more writing and lots more books!

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:32 PM

That is where we got them.  LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan:

They have tables like that at Sam's Club, with legs that can raise or lower.  The park district has used those for craft time and they're super handy.  That sounds like a good idea too, especially if she gets distracted at the dining room table or wants to sit on the floor instead of a chair.

Quoting coala:

We use 2 4ft folding tables in the living room.  They can sprawl anywhere for independant reading and supplemental work.

TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Lol! I've been looking at them for the past three months. :) Thanks for helping me make the final decision to go ahead and buy one. :,D

Quoting coala:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting coala:

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

You are so very welcome.  We love them.  I can take them down at a moments notice when we are having company.  I can pack them and take them to a friends when they need extra tables for a party.  They clean easily as well.  Just remember to put something under their work that is a smooth surface b/c when they write with paper directly on the table it will be bumpy and not smooth as well as their coloring.  It just looks terrible.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Lol! I've been looking at them for the past three months. :) Thanks for helping me make the final decision to go ahead and buy one. :,D

Quoting coala:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting coala:

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 1, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
We do everything that you described in your post. lol We do school anywhere and everywhere. :)
bether89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
1 mom liked this

We have a desk, but almost never use it.  Ds works mostly at the kitchen table.  He does his reading where ever he wants.  Sometimes, we go outside and work.

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 1:08 AM
1 mom liked this
We have a schoolrokm when ds did prek we used it religiouslly, for k we rarely did. I think we d more school in the pool last year than we did in that room lol (we live innflorida) usually we r in my bed, or on the couch using tv tables.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)