Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you use any situation as teachable moments?

Posted by   + Show Post

One of my best friends lives in Pennsylvania. They have a lot of those Scottish/Celtic or medieval festivals in the summer that they go to.

I was looking at her pictures on facebook and my kiddo was fascinated by the costumes. My friend had even upload a small video clip of one of the bands playing music complete with bagpipes.

My little guy was so interested that we started looking stuff up. I turned it into a teachable moment.

Do you do things like that? Just when something random sparks an interest and you immediately capitalize on it to teach them something?

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Replies (11-15):
oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:12 PM

yes we do stuff like that,everything is a learning thing here!

lucsch
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, and my dd10 rolls her eyes at me and says, "Mom we aren't in school right now!" She does that because I am a voracious learner myself and I am ALWAYS doing this. She thinks I'm totally out of control! LOL

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Constantly! Its one of my favorite things about child-led learning! Last year my FIL had knee replacement surgery. My DH mowed his lawn while he healed. Once, DH found what he thought was a larger rock, turned out it was an uncracked goose egg! My kids brought it home and researched the heck out of it - our cat even slept on it for a couple of days, then it started cracking as the inside began decomposing and I drew the educational line in the sand on keeping the thing around any longer..lol..

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I did that today in the grocery store about a conversation I was having with someone in line.  I have been teaching my children that we save and buy what we want and to not borrow money (use credit cards) to do so.  I took that explanation into the car and showed her on a calulator how using a credit card to purchase something for $6,000 + 18% interest would be.  She was SHOCKED to say the least.  She is only 7, but learning very valuable lessons at an early age.

FootballFan12
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:55 PM

That is such a GREAT lesson for them to learn young. These are things, I never would have thought of. 

I love this group..lol

Quoting coala:

I did that today in the grocery store about a conversation I was having with someone in line.  I have been teaching my children that we save and buy what we want and to not borrow money (use credit cards) to do so.  I took that explanation into the car and showed her on a calulator how using a credit card to purchase something for $6,000 + 18% interest would be.  She was SHOCKED to say the least.  She is only 7, but learning very valuable lessons at an early age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)