Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

kindergarten help

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM
  • 15 Replies
My daughter turned 5 in January and is starting kindergarten in the fall. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with cirriculum choices. I'm looking for something flexible, we are also planning on doing year round schooling. My main concern is I want her to enjoy learning and have her be as engaged as possible. First of all, what subjects do you suggest we cover in kindergarten? We are Christian so I am not considering secular history or science. I am extemely overwhelmed so please, any advice and or reccomendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM
I would cover letters and numbers, everything else would be secondary. At this age I would look for curriculum that leans toward hands on. I personally used Abeka for math and phonics that year and although learning wise dd did good she disliked all the coloring.
101stwife
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 5:54 PM

My dd will be starting kindergarten this year as well. We are focusing on Math, phonics, reading and writing. I am not worried about science and history. I have older kids that are also homeschooling and I figure that she can join in with the activities we do for those subjects. I just found a neat site called Easy Peasy home schooling. It is all free and has laid out lesson plans with everything that you need. It goes all the way through high school. I am using just bits and pieces for my 7th graders for reading and writing but you can probably find lots of fun stuff on there for kindergarten as well.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Maybe you can start with letters and numbers and her name. Do some field trips on subjects that she finds interesting and would want to learn more about. How about colors and textures? You can combine letters with learning the colors. You might want to find some activity books that have some math coloring and some alphabet coloring in them. Whatever you start her with, make sure she enjoys learning and is having fun with learning. Also, read to her as much as possible. The more you read to her the more it should spark her interest in wanting to learn to read, which in turn leads to learning her letters.
romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 6:33 PM

For History:   Wall Builders

For Math:  Math U See (They were home educators, and the dad specialized in math.  He begins math with manipulatives explaining that 0 is a number. It gives children a better understanding of math than most programs.

For reading, phonics, comprehension, spelling, vocabulary....language arts,  Ring Around The Phonics.  ..also home educators, and it is very hands on (whole brain teaching)

AmyMamie
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 8:03 PM

We're starting Kindergarten this fall also, and did preschool at home last year.  So I was able to get a jump on looking over curriculums and plan ahead for this.  We're also Christian, and wanted a curriculum that complements this.  We decided to use a lot of the items found at www.timberdoodle.com for our schooling this year.  Timberdoodle provides a lot of hands-on learning, fun stuff, and so far my son LOVES it.  We're doing Math, Language and Thinking Skills for our main subjects, and then (because my son is easily bored and loves projects) we also added in fun science experiments, art projects (Djeco kits), Bible stories for young ones, and geography (using GeoPuzzles).  We just do class 4 mornings a week, and keep it fun and easy.  No pressure to push this first year!  We also read aloud several times a day (finishing up Charlotte's Web this week, besides fun little books).  Hope you can find something useful in all that. :)

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:50 PM
DD is K this year. We are doing:

Reading - we were using hooked on phonics but I think we'll be moving on from it soon. Books, books, and more books is I guess what we'll do next. I don't want to start spelling yet. Still undecided here.

Writing - handwriting without tears

Math - Singapore and Miquon.

Critical thinking - building thinking skills and logic games

Science - now: intelligo Astronomy, Evan Moore astronomy, DK space encyclopedia, YouTube, and the library.
2nd semester - similar line up on the human body.
Magic school bus experiment kits.

Geography - Evan Moore beginning geography, states and capitals songs, maps, and geopuzzles.

Languages - Spanish with Little Pim and Salsa
ASL with Signing Time and me

Sonlight p4/5, moving on to core A as a book list when we finish 4/5, aiming for around January.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
almondpigeon
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:53 PM

we use timberdoodle too and we LOVE it.  my son doesn't turn 5 until november, but i'm going to start kindergarden next month with him.  i plan on taking it easy and following his pace.  we'll focus mainly on letter sounds, simple math concepts, days of the week, telling time, money recognition and handwriting.  luckily, i'm also teaching his older sister, so he will get exposure to her curriculum as well. i also plan on doing lots of crafts and projects, such as lap booking.

Quoting AmyMamie:

We're starting Kindergarten this fall also, and did preschool at home last year.  So I was able to get a jump on looking over curriculums and plan ahead for this.  We're also Christian, and wanted a curriculum that complements this.  We decided to use a lot of the items found at www.timberdoodle.com for our schooling this year.  Timberdoodle provides a lot of hands-on learning, fun stuff, and so far my son LOVES it.  We're doing Math, Language and Thinking Skills for our main subjects, and then (because my son is easily bored and loves projects) we also added in fun science experiments, art projects (Djeco kits), Bible stories for young ones, and geography (using GeoPuzzles).  We just do class 4 mornings a week, and keep it fun and easy.  No pressure to push this first year!  We also read aloud several times a day (finishing up Charlotte's Web this week, besides fun little books).  Hope you can find something useful in all that. :)

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 10:55 PM

We have used ABeka's boxed curriculum (everything included).  I have now done a 1/3 of K and a full year of K with this program.  They have a phenomenal phonics program....I have found nothing better.  Their K4 phonics program was so amazing that it had my 3 yo reading before she turned 4.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:49 AM

My 4yo is doing kinder this year.

Math: Math U See Primer
Reading: Hooked on Phonics
Writing: Handwrting w/o Tears
Language Arts, science and history: he follows along with the rest of us.
And a couple "Let's Grow Smart" workbooks because he wants to be like big brothers.

KLove_Mom
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:32 AM

We're using Sazon Math and "All about Learning" for the reading. Our science and history lessons will come mostly from reading short books on something and then discussing or doing experiments with it. 

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/all-about-reading/

http://www.hmhco.com/shop/education-curriculum/math/saxon-math/features/complete-k12-math-solutions 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN