Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
My daughter turned 5 in January and is starting kindergarten in the fall. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with cirriculum choices. I'm looking for something flexible, we are also planning on doing year round schooling. My main concern is I want her to enjoy learning and have her be as engaged as possible. First of all, what subjects do you suggest we cover in kindergarten? We are Christian so I am not considering secular history or science. I am extemely overwhelmed so please, any advice and or reccomendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Replies (11-15):
charla_r
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM

We will begin kindergarten in the fall as well.  We are using My Father's World K (it includes math, phonics, art and science), Evan Moor Beginning Geography as well as unit studies on specific countries and Handwriting w/oTears. 

oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:40 AM

hi mamalise,

we are doing k starting in sept also with a couple kids

we are gona do a bit of phonics-christian lib. press rod and staff and various others, some handwriting-i make up our own stuff, reading (me), science( christian liberty press-nature studies booklets) history- our family history, history or our area, art, music, lots of play, dancing, verse memorizing, bible- i make things up for this, cooking, learning songs

Mamalise2
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Thank you ladies so much! I really appreciate it!!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Good luck! There is a lot of information out there to wade through. Just take it one day or week at a time. 8) Have fun, do nature walks and read a lot of books. 8)

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:54 PM

One book you MUST read is SO YOUR THINKING ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING by LISA WELCHEL. It talks about many different methods of teaching. We didn't really get too much into science or history until a little bit later, and for that we follow from the book THE WELL TRAINED MIND. For regular subjects we get workbooks from Sams. There around 500 page and have all of the main subjects, there colorful with pictures on every page. We have been using them since PreK and will be going to get my DD 2nd grade and my DS 5th grade.

We also do year round, I just think that taking full 3 months off will cause them to loose much of the info. Of course during the summer we don't do as much.

Another thing to check out is the lapbooks on HOMESCHOOLSHARE.COM. My kids LOVE them and we have even been using the free blank templets to create our own for english, grammar and math.

Good luck. It won't take long until you get into your own swing of things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)