Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not sure homeshooling is a good idea....

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:07 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok, so I want to home school my daughter when she is supposed to start kindergarten but I don't know if I should.

Why I don't know if it would be a good idea.

1. I am currently working 2 part time jobs. (one of which I will probably be quitting soon) and going to school full time to get my teaching degree. I will have just finished m associates degree when she is supposed to start kindergarten, and I will be transferring to another school to get my bachelors.

2. My dd is a social butterfly. She really likes to be around people constantly.

3. Part of 1, I am a single mother so I have to work to provide an income.

4. There is really nothing in this town as far as museums and stuff go.

5. I am a severe introvert so I don't know if I could join a group around here so she would get her social needs met. I have been thinking about putting her in church but until I get my license and a car that is impossible. (The only church I like is 2 miles away and while thats okay for nice weather when it is hot, cold, or rainy the walk is horrible.)

6. As of right now until some point in the future (hopefully) I don't have the money for any trips/ to sign her up for a dance class/ anything extra.

Now the reasons I don't feel I can send her to school.

1. The school district we are in is horrible, the only thing they care about is their high school football team. And I can't just move to another school district. Definitely cant afford to pay tuition for a private school or even a different school district plus all the expenses of gas and everything to get her there. 

2. My daughter tends to take on other people's personalities. (Not really sure how to explain this.... she just starts mimicking other people and their habits/nuances/ etc.) This could be really bad if she befriended a bad influence.

3. My daughter is advanced. Very advanced. Her teachers at Headstart are struggling to find things to keep her entertained because she already went through all of the second year program stuff. The only thing she can't do is read and I'm pretty sure she can do that and just hasn't shown it off yet. (I caught her sounding out a book but when she realized I was there she started sing songy making a story up for it) And public schools can't accommodate the advanced students. I should know since I had so many problems from being bored in school.

I want to do what is best for my daughter but what is that? How do I make such an important decision? I want to homeschool but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to have the time to homeschool.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this

First I have a few questions: Is she an only child?  Is she 4 now? and How do you get to work without a license? (sorry if that last one seems snarky, it is not meant to be.  I just wonder if there is public transportation or another way to get you guys to activities.)

Kindergarten does not require much time.  And if she is an only child, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two each day.  Remember that many schools only send their kinders half day but even the full day ones have a lot of "wasted" time lining up, moving from place to place, announcements, attendance, and other things that large groups need to do that you will not.

You are able to attend school, so of course you can join groups with your child!  You don't need to make the best of lifelong friends.  You would be there to help watch the kids, help bring the snacks, help keep the kids where they need to be.  We have a woman in our co-op who is nearly afraid of other people.  She volunteered to set up the snack station.  After a while, we realized she just doesn't want to talk, so other than a hi, how are you, we just let her be. 

Many socially attuned children mimic the behaviors of others.  I was one.  I also blossomed into the one who would do the things the others were afraid to do.  In other words, I would get the teacher off topic, I would talk during class, and I would lead the others into mischief.  I was in the Principal's office more than I was in class by the time I was in third grade.  And even more irritating to the teachers, I was still pulling straight A's.  So I would not advise sending her to school until she learns to be herself! (just my opinion!)

You can do this.  It is daunting, but it is not as hard as it seems. 

abrine7673
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Yes she is an only child. She is 4 now. I walk to work most of the time or my mother takes me when she picks up my daughter.

How would I do lesson plans and stuff? I don't really know much about homeschooling. I have researched it alot but  everything I've read is stuff from married stay at home mothers. And they all talk about taking trips to museums and things like that for educational experiences and they have a room set a side for school. Which I don't have extra room I live in a two bedroom apartment. How would I get started? She has a whole nother year of headstart before i even need to worry about it but I am a planner so I like to do everything in advance.

I have a form of anxiety that keeps me from being able to change my outside routine. It's a little like agoraphobia but it deals more with situations and people than being outside of my home. It has gotten so bad at times in the past that i actually needed to take anxiety pills just to function. The school is now old hat to me so I have no problem as long as the classes are small but I'm afraid what would happen if I tried to take her to some group thing. Some days I can handle it but others like today even the thought of being around that many people I don't know in a strange place is making me feel sick.

Thats what I'm afraid will happen if I send her ot school. She will bcome a trouble maker because she is bored, or trying to impress other students, or any other reason.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

First I have a few questions: Is she an only child?  Is she 4 now? and How do you get to work without a license? (sorry if that last one seems snarky, it is not meant to be.  I just wonder if there is public transportation or another way to get you guys to activities.)

Kindergarten does not require much time.  And if she is an only child, it shouldn't take more than an hour or two each day.  Remember that many schools only send their kinders half day but even the full day ones have a lot of "wasted" time lining up, moving from place to place, announcements, attendance, and other things that large groups need to do that you will not.

You are able to attend school, so of course you can join groups with your child!  You don't need to make the best of lifelong friends.  You would be there to help watch the kids, help bring the snacks, help keep the kids where they need to be.  We have a woman in our co-op who is nearly afraid of other people.  She volunteered to set up the snack station.  After a while, we realized she just doesn't want to talk, so other than a hi, how are you, we just let her be. 

Many socially attuned children mimic the behaviors of others.  I was one.  I also blossomed into the one who would do the things the others were afraid to do.  In other words, I would get the teacher off topic, I would talk during class, and I would lead the others into mischief.  I was in the Principal's office more than I was in class by the time I was in third grade.  And even more irritating to the teachers, I was still pulling straight A's.  So I would not advise sending her to school until she learns to be herself! (just my opinion!)

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:28 AM
I am married, but I do work full time 40-55 hours a week and my daughter starts kinder this year (homeschooled). My husband is 100% on board...except I have to organize and set out the lesson plans for him to do in my "spare" time. I was a single mom until last year and I still planned to homeschool. I just planned to use free resources and homeschool her whenever I wasn't at work. :)
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:41 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting abrine7673:

Ok, so I want to home school my daughter when she is supposed to start kindergarten but I don't know if I should.

Why I don't know if it would be a good idea.

1. I am currently working 2 part time jobs. (one of which I will probably be quitting soon) and going to school full time to get my teaching degree. I will have just finished m associates degree when she is supposed to start kindergarten, and I will be transferring to another school to get my bachelors. I went to school and HS'ed at the same time. It really just depends on your childcare situation. I'd talk to your mom, to see if she is maybe willing to watch your DD while you're at work/school. THen you can do some work with her on your off time. My BFF works full time and homeschools, so it's possible, you just have to have a good schedule worked out and be willing to use some hands-off learning techniques - like www.time4learning.com

2. My dd is a social butterfly. She really likes to be around people constantly.I used to joke that if my kids were any more outgoing they'd be running for office. I didn't join a single group until my eldest was 9-10 y/o! Honestly, I counted grocery shopping and holidays with extended family as socialization..lol.. We didn't have transportation at the time, so we didn't do much. My kids are now 12 & 9 and they are just as outgoing as ever. 

3. Part of 1, I am a single mother so I have to work to provide an income.

4. There is really nothing in this town as far as museums and stuff go. My husband was laid off for 2 years, and I can't work due to a physical disability. So my kids have never done museums as a regular thing. They've gone once, maybe twice, per year. THey get really excited to see a museum because it's so rare. 

5. I am a severe introvert so I don't know if I could join a group around here so she would get her social needs met. I have been thinking about putting her in church but until I get my license and a car that is impossible. (The only church I like is 2 miles away and while thats okay for nice weather when it is hot, cold, or rainy the walk is horrible.) It can be scary joining a new thing. But as parents we 'suck it up' when necessary. I'd see if there is an online yahoo group that meets in your area. Maybe if you join that group online and get to know the people in it, then visit their meetings once or twice, then it won't be as overwhelming to join it. Our co-op runs for 12 weeks twice per year. I was terrified the first time we joined. Now I'm the co-director...lol..

6. As of right now until some point in the future (hopefully) I don't have the money for any trips/ to sign her up for a dance class/ anything extra. Honestly, most homeschool families are economical and run on only one income. My boys hope that maybe next year (if I every get my approval for social security) then they can choose one activity to join. Otherwise, they've had to content themselves with the library and town park & rec sports.

Now the reasons I don't feel I can send her to school.

1. The school district we are in is horrible, the only thing they care about is their high school football team. And I can't just move to another school district. Definitely cant afford to pay tuition for a private school or even a different school district plus all the expenses of gas and everything to get her there. 

2. My daughter tends to take on other people's personalities. (Not really sure how to explain this.... she just starts mimicking other people and their habits/nuances/ etc.) This could be really bad if she befriended a bad influence. My youngest is this way. It was one of the main reasons I refuse to send him to PS even though my medical condition makes being active a serious challenge.

3. My daughter is advanced. Very advanced. Her teachers at Headstart are struggling to find things to keep her entertained because she already went through all of the second year program stuff. The only thing she can't do is read and I'm pretty sure she can do that and just hasn't shown it off yet. (I caught her sounding out a book but when she realized I was there she started sing songy making a story up for it) And public schools can't accommodate the advanced students. I should know since I had so many problems from being bored in school. I had this challenge w/ my eldest. HS is super easy with him. I let him choose the subject and he chooses from a stack of materials on the subject then he's off to the races. 

I want to do what is best for my daughter but what is that? How do I make such an important decision? I want to homeschool but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to have the time to homeschool.

Here's the biggest secret about homeschooling.....it takes VERY little time. I usually say add a zero to the end of their age - age 5 takes 50 minutes. PER DAY! And you can break it up into 10-15 minute chunks as well. When I was in school, my boys did a combination of online schooling (www.time4learning.com and www.readingeggs.com) and watching documentaries/educational shows. So those things didn't require my one-on-one instruction for everything. I'd plop down w/ my school books next to them and they'd learn, "just like mom!"

The anxiety that we are choosing wrong does lesson with time. My biggest advice? Give it a couple of years. Even if it doesn't work out, you wouldn't have screwed her up for life or anything, and you'll have given her a bit more time to develop her own personality so she might not mimic others quite so much.

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Homeschooling is as differentiated as anything else.  Just because other mothers talk about all the field trips to museums does not mean that is what your homeschool will look like.  We did have a school room just for school, but we found that we didn't need it.  As long as you have enough room for a book shelf and you can use the kitchen table (or a lap desk, or the living room floor) to do your school work, then you'll do just fine.

As for writing lesson plans that depends on what type of homeschool you want to do, whether you want to get a full boxed curriculum or do it all yourself.  Some curricula is completely scripted, so no lesson plans just follow it step by step.  Some people unschool which means you just follow your child's lead, whatever she wants to learn you cover.  And some people piece together a bunch of curriculum pieces and methods, which means deciding how to fit it together but still following the lessons.  And there is everything in between.

Don't compare your homeschool to others (easier said than done!LOL) in any negative ways.  Use others' experiences to help you build your own homeschool the way you and your child want it.

If you are uncomfortable taking her to a group, try it without for a while.  The great thing about homeschool is that you can change it whenever you want and you build it the way you want.  It's the best way to meet every need of your family.  If something isn't working...change it.  If you feel at the end of the first year that you aren't doing the right thing, you can always send her to school after that.  Nothing is ever set in stone.

Or maybe you could just join her in a group in the church you are looking into (once you get your car, etc).  She is still quite young, so she'll learn all of the social graces she needs.  She is in head start now, so she is already learning much of that.  You can give yourselves a year or so just to get into the homeschool thing and then decide on ways to get out in the world.  I am a major homebody, we are members of 2 groups, but they only meet once a month.  We do what works for us.

Quoting abrine7673:

Yes she is an only child. She is 4 now. I walk to work most of the time or my mother takes me when she picks up my daughter.

How would I do lesson plans and stuff? I don't really know much about homeschooling. I have researched it alot but  everything I've read is stuff from married stay at home mothers. And they all talk about taking trips to museums and things like that for educational experiences and they have a room set a side for school. Which I don't have extra room I live in a two bedroom apartment. How would I get started? She has a whole nother year of headstart before i even need to worry about it but I am a planner so I like to do everything in advance.

I have a form of anxiety that keeps me from being able to change my outside routine. It's a little like agoraphobia but it deals more with situations and people than being outside of my home. It has gotten so bad at times in the past that i actually needed to take anxiety pills just to function. The school is now old hat to me so I have no problem as long as the classes are small but I'm afraid what would happen if I tried to take her to some group thing. Some days I can handle it but others like today even the thought of being around that many people I don't know in a strange place is making me feel sick.

Thats what I'm afraid will happen if I send her ot school. She will bcome a trouble maker because she is bored, or trying to impress other students, or any other reason.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kyfiregirl
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:05 AM

you can do it abcmouse.com is awesome she can do that at ur moms and eally you only need an hr or two a day with her beginning ready beginning math sequencing patterns etc just split it each day and alternate to cover it all!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I completely agree!!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Homeschooling is as differentiated as anything else.  Just because other mothers talk about all the field trips to museums does not mean that is what your homeschool will look like.  We did have a school room just for school, but we found that we didn't need it.  As long as you have enough room for a book shelf and you can use the kitchen table (or a lap desk, or the living room floor) to do your school work, then you'll do just fine.

As for writing lesson plans that depends on what type of homeschool you want to do, whether you want to get a full boxed curriculum or do it all yourself.  Some curricula is completely scripted, so no lesson plans just follow it step by step.  Some people unschool which means you just follow your child's lead, whatever she wants to learn you cover.  And some people piece together a bunch of curriculum pieces and methods, which means deciding how to fit it together but still following the lessons.  And there is everything in between.

Don't compare your homeschool to others (easier said than done!LOL) in any negative ways.  Use others' experiences to help you build your own homeschool the way you and your child want it.

If you are uncomfortable taking her to a group, try it without for a while.  The great thing about homeschool is that you can change it whenever you want and you build it the way you want.  It's the best way to meet every need of your family.  If something isn't working...change it.  If you feel at the end of the first year that you aren't doing the right thing, you can always send her to school after that.  Nothing is ever set in stone.

Or maybe you could just join her in a group in the church you are looking into (once you get your car, etc).  She is still quite young, so she'll learn all of the social graces she needs.  She is in head start now, so she is already learning much of that.  You can give yourselves a year or so just to get into the homeschool thing and then decide on ways to get out in the world.  I am a major homebody, we are members of 2 groups, but they only meet once a month.  We do what works for us.

Quoting abrine7673:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:15 PM

We started homeschooling after my husband lost his job.  We have been near homeless at times but we continue on.  My husband has disability now so that keeps us afloat, but he is still looking for a job.  It is harder homeschooling when he is home. 

And yes I stay home, but I tell my sister who is a single mom, has cancer, works and takes care of her dd that she can homeschool.  Her dd is really smart and it sounds like your dd is a lot like her.  I do not see her doing well in public school.  I gave my sister all the information I had and a place that plans everything out.  We use abcmouse.com, lessonpathways.com and just move things around so that the kids will not get bored and that is how I taught my niece last year.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM

You can do it.  I work from home FT and so does my SO.  We make it work.  Your HS doesn't have to look like anyone elses.  We don't have a dedicated area, just a living room.  We have "school" stuff all over our house.  My kids LOVE to learn so it makes it much easier.  We typically use a boxed curriculum, but are taking the next several months and doing child-led learning.  My girls are really enjoying it. Right now they are experiencing magnets, how they connect and building 3-D geometric shapes.  They only think they are playing, but in reality I know what is happening.  LOL

QueenCreole313
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:23 PM

My only advice is to do whatever is BEST for your child. If you believe in your choice everything else will fall into place.  PS Im a single mome, I work fulltime and will be going back to school in the fall for my Masters. My dad watches my son while I work and he has lots of independent work and we have lessons in the morning before I leave, at night and weekends. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN