Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Not sure homeshooling is a good idea....

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok, so I want to home school my daughter when she is supposed to start kindergarten but I don't know if I should.

Why I don't know if it would be a good idea.

1. I am currently working 2 part time jobs. (one of which I will probably be quitting soon) and going to school full time to get my teaching degree. I will have just finished m associates degree when she is supposed to start kindergarten, and I will be transferring to another school to get my bachelors.

2. My dd is a social butterfly. She really likes to be around people constantly.

3. Part of 1, I am a single mother so I have to work to provide an income.

4. There is really nothing in this town as far as museums and stuff go.

5. I am a severe introvert so I don't know if I could join a group around here so she would get her social needs met. I have been thinking about putting her in church but until I get my license and a car that is impossible. (The only church I like is 2 miles away and while thats okay for nice weather when it is hot, cold, or rainy the walk is horrible.)

6. As of right now until some point in the future (hopefully) I don't have the money for any trips/ to sign her up for a dance class/ anything extra.

Now the reasons I don't feel I can send her to school.

1. The school district we are in is horrible, the only thing they care about is their high school football team. And I can't just move to another school district. Definitely cant afford to pay tuition for a private school or even a different school district plus all the expenses of gas and everything to get her there. 

2. My daughter tends to take on other people's personalities. (Not really sure how to explain this.... she just starts mimicking other people and their habits/nuances/ etc.) This could be really bad if she befriended a bad influence.

3. My daughter is advanced. Very advanced. Her teachers at Headstart are struggling to find things to keep her entertained because she already went through all of the second year program stuff. The only thing she can't do is read and I'm pretty sure she can do that and just hasn't shown it off yet. (I caught her sounding out a book but when she realized I was there she started sing songy making a story up for it) And public schools can't accommodate the advanced students. I should know since I had so many problems from being bored in school.

I want to do what is best for my daughter but what is that? How do I make such an important decision? I want to homeschool but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to have the time to homeschool.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:07 AM
Replies (11-12):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM

My neighbor works part time (8-noon 4 days a week, and 8-5 one day a week, so 24 hours/week) and homeschools her son. Her husband works 2nd/3rd shift so he's usually home and when he's not, she has in-laws who take her son. If you have support system nearby, then you might be able to swing it.

However, I assume you NEED to earn a decent income as the sole breadwinner in your family. I assume that is why you are going to college right now. You may be able to find a job with your AS that will allow you to be home with your daughter during most of her waking hours (I did student teaching at a day care center that is attached to a hospital - it's for the children of the employees - and they were open from 6am to midnight, so 2nd shift was a possibility there, whereas at most day cares or schools, it's going to be a day-time only job). IDK. I guess it just depends on what is a priority for you at the moment and how you can swing the job thing, with the timing. 

lucsch
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I am married, but we don't do many field trips--maybe a few a year and mostly in the summer.

Don't worry about down the road. You can even tell yourself it is "just this year' if that helps. That's how I started. Start NOW, when she really doesn't have to go to school. Preschool only takes an hour a day. Just do the next "thing." So, you notice she is interested in reading? Research phonics and how to teach reading. Start small. Play games. Meanwhile figure out "what is next." Take baby steps.

Before you know it, you will feel like an expert! You will realize you've been homeschooling for 6 years and the two of you are going into 5th grade. LOL

My dd is very social, too. I find that she is able to concentrate on her academic needs,  without the distractions of "talking to her neighbor." She is an excellent student. When we go places, she is able to talk to kids and adults equally well. She loves playing with all ages of kids--preschoolers to teens. Age is not the barrier it is when lumped together with like aged peers in school.

BTW, I am also an introvert. I have joined a co-op. At first, I hated going. However, after several years of doing it, I really have formed friendships with the other moms. You mentioned your mother. Would it be possible for her to get involved. She may enjoy taking on the field trips and some of the more social events in your dd's life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)