Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Compiling my Curriculum- English/Language Arts

Posted by   + Show Post

I've been working on putting together the curriculum for my kids. Many have asked me lately about how I go about it. So I thought I'd post it here; THis is the English//Language Arts section for my eldest. With my eldest, language arts are the most difficult for me to design. He is on the autism spectrum, and this is by far his most challenging subject. 

Reading - Reading grade level materials (lists in replies)- doing a visual representation/book report *a cross between a book report and a lapbook - focusing on certain qualities:

*Story Type: Fiction/non-fiction
  * Structural Type: short story, essay, novel, novella, etc
  *Identify recurring themes: bravery, loyalty, friendship, etc.
  * Contrast Points of view: first person, second person, third person, limited omniscient, subjective/objective, and explain how these POV affect the work.

Writing  - Essay Writing 

Each week DJ will have a writing theme. He will use this theme to write a persuasive essay.

http://www.heinemann.com/shared/onlineresources/E03395/SMUnit4SampleLesson.pdf

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Research-Paper

Grammar - 

**Sentence Structure - focus on word modifiers and using an active voice.
  **Identify and use infinitives and participles and make clear references between pronouns and antecedents
  **Identify all parts of speech and types and structures of sentences
  **Demonstrate the mechanics of writing - quotation marks, commast, pronoun reference, etc.
  **Identify hyphens, dashes, brackets, and semicolons and use them correctly
  **Use correct capitalization

Spelling -

We will be doing  a spelling word/day out of a special English voabulary cards.  

http://ammons.dadeschools.net/2013%20-%207th%20Grade%20Classroom%20Bee%20Study%20Words.pdf

http://www.homespellingwords.com/lists/6th-grade-spelling-words.aspx

GRADE 5 - this is for my younger son

Reading GRade level works - see reading lists in the replies. Do a lapbook on each book once finished. 

**Comprehension strategies before, during & after reading various literary genres and their characteristics, basic literary ters (ie setting, POV, simile, metaphor, rhythm, etc). Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make lofical inferences from it; cite specific textual evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions dawn from text. 

Writing - story telling. poetry. Writing in different genres for different audiences. Using mechanics of writing for spelling, definition, pronunciation & sentence structure. 

**Basic Writing of Research PAper - each week he can choose a topic to research and report on. Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence. Drafting thesis, controlling ideas. Compare & contrast, edit and clarify ideas. 

** Write journal entries daily with short narratives of (real or imagined) experiences or events using 3effective technique, well-chosen details, and well structured event sequences. 

Grammar:

**Possessives, mechanics, commas, sentence punctuation, regular & irregular plurals

**Complete, compound and complex sentences

**Conjunctions

**Plot, POV, 

Spelling:

One word per day out of the book 100 words for 5th grade.

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:30 AM
Replies (11-11):
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN