Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Compiling My Curriculum - Science

Posted by   + Show Post

This is by FAR my easiest subject to teach, and it's my boys favorite! YAY.  We are doing a spectrum of grades, but I'll seperate it by 7th grade (my eldest) and 5th grade (my youngest.)

Each child will have a notebook they must maintain as their Science & Experiment notebook. THat way whenever they learn something new, or try a new experiment, they have one centralized location to keep it in.

Enjoy!

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Replies (21-25):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Do you cover all or most of these sciences every year? It seems like a lot! I am not a science person. But we are starting with The Elements and I am fairly prepared curriculum wise for physics, though I don't think that makes a lot of sense to go from the periodic table to physics. My kids are 5th and 6th graders and I really just don't know what I'm doing. I'll figure it out, but there is so much for me to learn and organize so I can start teaching them. I hope you put all this info on here prepared for people like me hijack it ;)
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:26 PM

This compilation is just for this coming year, for 2 children. My youngest will be primarily focusing on Earth Sciences - this includes geology, volcanoes, plate techtonics, environmentalism, thermodynamics. These are really all related.

My eldest plans on becomming a scientist. He goes through about 2 grades per year and he tends to jump topics a lot. So you can think of his 7th grade curric as including most of 8th grade as well.

Physics is really the explanation of everything - and how things relate to each other - starting at the sub-atomic and extending to the astronomical. Whereas  the periodic table is sub-atomic (or atomic really) so they are one and the same. For instance. The in the periodic table the number in the upper right hand corner is the number of electrons. Where these are placed in relation to the nucleus IS quantum mechanics (aka quantum physics). Really all science is inter-related, micro-biology (working at the cellular level) is a part of biology. So no worries - going from chemistry to physics does make sense.

And, yes, it's here so people can hijack away! LOL == you can also check out my older post - of my favorite experiments - Kickbutt's Science Notebook

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Do you cover all or most of these sciences every year? It seems like a lot! I am not a science person. But we are starting with The Elements and I am fairly prepared curriculum wise for physics, though I don't think that makes a lot of sense to go from the periodic table to physics. My kids are 5th and 6th graders and I really just don't know what I'm doing. I'll figure it out, but there is so much for me to learn and organize so I can start teaching them. I hope you put all this info on here prepared for people like me hijack it ;)

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 6:54 PM
Thank you! I'm going to check out your other post and take some notes ;). I may just bookmark these posts too, lol. You are an amazing resource! I may end up messaging you if I get lost in science-not my strong subject!

Quoting KickButtMama:

This compilation is just for this coming year, for 2 children. My youngest will be primarily focusing on Earth Sciences - this includes geology, volcanoes, plate techtonics, environmentalism, thermodynamics. These are really all related.

My eldest plans on becomming a scientist. He goes through about 2 grades per year and he tends to jump topics a lot. So you can think of his 7th grade curric as including most of 8th grade as well.

Physics is really the explanation of everything - and how things relate to each other - starting at the sub-atomic and extending to the astronomical. Whereas  the periodic table is sub-atomic (or atomic really) so they are one and the same. For instance. The in the periodic table the number in the upper right hand corner is the number of electrons. Where these are placed in relation to the nucleus IS quantum mechanics (aka quantum physics). Really all science is inter-related, micro-biology (working at the cellular level) is a part of biology. So no worries - going from chemistry to physics does make sense.

And, yes, it's here so people can hijack away! LOL == you can also check out my older post - of my favorite experiments - Kickbutt's Science Notebook

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)