Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Help! He says he wants to go to school.

Posted by   + Show Post

My six year old has some great big misconceptions that make him want to go to school. 

1. He thinks that he'll get away with not doing the work because there will be 20 other kids to answer the questions too.

2.  He thinks that there is a field trip every day, like on the Magic School Bus, Sid the Science Kid, and other cartoons.

3.  He thinks that school is mostly playing on the playground because he sees the kids there when we pass to go to our co-op.

4.  He thinks he can still be in the co-op play because his brothers will still be homeschooled.

5.  He thinks that school will be easier than homeschool.

AND 6. He thinks he'll still be able to sleep in and I can "just" drive him to school when he wakes up.

So my oldest suggested that we make a "card chart" for him just like at the B&M.  Instead of cojoling (and begging and pleading) for him to do the work, behave, whatever; I should just flip his card and take away his play time.  I should set the alarm and wake him up like he had to when he went to B&M. 

Levi only works with other adults that are able to let things slide that I just can't/won't, so he thinks he'll get away with more from a teacher than he will with me.  BUT I can let things slide that a teacher with 20 more students just can't.  I don't know how I can explain this in a way he'll understand. 

It started Monday at the co-op.  He told Mrs. Hook that he was thinking of going to the B&M this year.  She knew that no arrangements had been made and that we had paid our dues for the whole family this year, so she told him that she would have to recast his part.  Then she asked him a bunch of questions so that she could give me the list above, his misconceptions of the local ps.

Anyway, any suggestions?  He will NOT be going to the local PS.  No way, no how!!  But I do want to explain to him why we make the decisions we do, why he stays home, and why this is not something I will let him choose for himself at this age.

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:42 PM

I would tell him there is no chance, but you'll let him pretend he is in BM school and go ahead and wake him up. Make sure to have him stay in one seat for most of the morning and ask for potty breaks. LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mem82:

I would tell him there is no chance, but you'll let him pretend he is in BM school and go ahead and wake him up. Make sure to have him stay in one seat for most of the morning and ask for potty breaks. LOL

Asking for potty breaks would drive him nuts!  LOL.  And Zave's class in kindergarten had a timer.  When the bathroom door shut, it set a timer for 3 minutes.  That would really drive him nuts!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:55 PM

LOL, My youngest DS had some of the same misconceptions. I had him question his cousins who go to PS (and hate it) about what it's really like. He was shocked that they don't get to play on the playground with their friends all day! 

My son is also NOT a morning person. FOr One Week, I had him keep to a PS schedule. THis meant waking at the crack of dawn to get ready, then I drove him round trip to the school and back (to represent the bus ride) then he had to do school work ALL DAY, with a very short lunch break and a very short afternoon play time. He HATED it, especially since his brother got to play or do his DS after his usual 2 hours of school! LOL. One week was all it took to realize that even if he could get away with not paying attention or doing all the work. (we had several hours of him just sitting at a desk staring into space) it was super boring and he though HS was waaaaaay better!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Having a few ps friends from girl scouts cured DD....lol i had something come up one day so she stayed with my friend and her kids. They were telling about their day and then pulled out homework and she never asked again.

I would arrange for DS to sit.in a 1st grade for a day. Maybe not your zone.school but another. I'm sure if you called any private school and said you were considering it they would.go for it. Then get up and go through the full day...including homework.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:14 PM
1 mom liked this

That was something I was worried about.  How in the world could I find enough stuff to do for a whole 7 hours!!  I mean, we work for 3-4 and we do so much more than the kids at the ps do.  But yeah, they sit and wait for others to finish a lot, they sit and wait to be called on, they wait for the teacher to explain things to another kid.  I think I could do this!  LOL

Quoting KickButtMama:

LOL, My youngest DS had some of the same misconceptions. I had him question his cousins who go to PS (and hate it) about what it's really like. He was shocked that they don't get to play on the playground with their friends all day! 

My son is also NOT a morning person. FOr One Week, I had him keep to a PS schedule. THis meant waking at the crack of dawn to get ready, then I drove him round trip to the school and back (to represent the bus ride) then he had to do school work ALL DAY, with a very short lunch break and a very short afternoon play time. He HATED it, especially since his brother got to play or do his DS after his usual 2 hours of school! LOL. One week was all it took to realize that even if he could get away with not paying attention or doing all the work. (we had several hours of him just sitting at a desk staring into space) it was super boring and he though HS was waaaaaay better!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Having a few ps friends from girl scouts cured DD....lol i had something come up one day so she stayed with my friend and her kids. They were telling about their day and then pulled out homework and she never asked again.

I would arrange for DS to sit.in a 1st grade for a day. Maybe not your zone.school but another. I'm sure if you called any private school and said you were considering it they would.go for it. Then get up and go through the full day...including homework.

I'll look into the local Christian school.  Thanks!

Homework is the big deal breaker around here.  The hours they spend is crazy!

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM

I would do a day exactly like the PS does.  Get him up early enough to get ready, eat and "ride the bus".  Have each day divided into periods, recess at a certain time, lunch at a certain time all that stupid crap they do.  School in a desk only.  Let him know, as best you can, exactly what it would be like. 

Everything he thinks is so far from the way it really goes.  My 2nd grader laughed and said that isn't how His PS worked. 

oredeb
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

treat your school like it is a ps. getting up at a certain time, recasting the part, keep him in school how many hours a ps does, give him only textbooks to learn from, dont always be able to help him with his school work, give him homework, time his lunch and recesses, have him pack his lunch, everything a school does, for a month? or a week then see the results( oh yea dont take him on field trips,)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kmath:

I would do a day exactly like the PS does.  Get him up early enough to get ready, eat and "ride the bus".  Have each day divided into periods, recess at a certain time, lunch at a certain time all that stupid crap they do.  School in a desk only.  Let him know, as best you can, exactly what it would be like. 

Everything he thinks is so far from the way it really goes.  My 2nd grader laughed and said that isn't how His PS worked. 

My third grader laughed too.  He's trying to explain it to his little brother. :-)

I think we will have a ps week next week, show him exactly what it's like.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Quoting oredeb:

treat your school like it is a ps. getting up at a certain time, recasting the part, keep him in school how many hours a ps does, give him only textbooks to learn from, dont always be able to help him with his school work, give him homework, time his lunch and recesses, have him pack his lunch, everything a school does, for a month? or a week then see the results( oh yea dont take him on field trips,)

HAHAHA The no field trips thing made me laugh!  I think I'll do it.  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)