Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT: America's Cheapest States To Live In

Posted by   + Show Post

So I saw this interesting article this morning about the top ten cheapest states to live in. The article is here: http://money.msn.com/personal-finance/americas-cheapest-states-to-live-in.

It's not really in-depth, just a list, but I thought it was interesting. My state is number one! Is your state on the list?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM

#6 here

Indiana is very affordable. 

But the list doesn't compare median incomes with cost of living, does it? That makes a big difference. Where you live might have cheap housing and food, but what's the difference if you can't earn a decent wage? 

I feel guilty in admitting this, but we are fortunate in that  my husband works for a company located in a very expensive area (D.C.) but we live in a very cheap area. It would be very hard for him to find a job paying the same amount here, and if we lived close to his company, our living situation would be very different (I'd have to work, we'd live in a small condo, etc).

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Sadly mandatory volunteerism seems to be up and coming...

We are always asked to pay $1 to the 'help your neighbors' fund which is a great cause, but we typically don't add it in because we just cover our bills for the most part.  We do what we can, but it's hard to help other financially when you could technically use the help yourself!

Quoting snowangel1979:

Ours was not.
I love the first comment It's about our state. If I wasn't mobile I would copy it.

It's something like cheapest is Detroit, Michigan. Home price $2:48 and the rest was free.
Which is kinda becoming true. They just past a thing where the energy company is charging everyone $1 a month so we can pay for those who can't. Not that I have a problem with charity but It's becoming were It's expected and you have no choices.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I don't think you should feel guilty admitting that, I think you are smart.  Making the best income you can and living in a more affordable area, it means you get to stay home and do what's best for your family, and your bills are paid and you get to live in a bigger home.  There is nothing wrong with making good financial decisions!  If my husband had the opportunity to make enough to support us but he had to travel a bit, he would do it!

Quoting hipmomto3:

#6 here

But the list doesn't compare median incomes with cost of living, does it? That makes a big difference. Where you live might have cheap housing and food, but what's the difference if you can't earn a decent wage? 

I feel guilty in admitting this, but we are fortunate in that  my husband works for a company located in a very expensive area (D.C.) but we live in a very cheap area. It would be very hard for him to find a job paying the same amount here, and if we lived close to his company, our living situation would be very different (I'd have to work, we'd live in a small condo, etc).

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:57 PM

My state wasn't on there.  I know we are one of the "richest" states, but I would say prices are similar to those listed, here is what I think we pay around here:

Average home price: I'm not really sure on this one because it has been fluctuating a lot..but I would guess around $250,000

Half gallon of milk: $2ish (I know it was $3.99 yesterday for a gallon)

T-bone steak: $10

Monthly energy bill: $120

Doctor visit: $110

So I wonder what it's based on, and it certainly doesn't matter what the average income is, that would really change things I would think.  And I think my state is considered one of the richest because we have so many vacation homes, lots of politicians and stuff have vacation homes here and since we don't have a lot of taxes, they tend to use this state as a primary address (unless they can't such as the governor or something that has to live in the state they govern) which makes it seem like we have more wealth than we actually do I think.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

You're right, I shouldn't feel guilty. Maybe that's not quite the right word - DH (and by default, I as well) has worked really hard in school and his career to get to where he is now, and taking this job was a big gamble. I just feel sometimes like it's all going to come crashing down because we have it so good. I don't mean to sound prideful like we are rolling around on fat stacks or anything. ;) We have enough to pay our bills, and to put a little bit away, and do a few fun things too. But that's not the norm for one-income households in reality, and he works literally in the backyard and has to travel MAYBE one week a year - so it's a pretty cushy life I live here.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I don't think you should feel guilty admitting that, I think you are smart.  Making the best income you can and living in a more affordable area, it means you get to stay home and do what's best for your family, and your bills are paid and you get to live in a bigger home.  There is nothing wrong with making good financial decisions!  If my husband had the opportunity to make enough to support us but he had to travel a bit, he would do it!

Quoting hipmomto3:

#6 here

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Mine would be on the list of 'Most Expensive Places To Live'.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Enjoy it!  If you guys worked for it, you deserve to relax and enjoy it.  Put some money away and be smart, then if anything did happen, you could be a little prepared.

I can't wait for the day that our hard work pays off.  Really just to buy a house and be out of my MILs house will be the day I can breath a little easier (while the new weight of being a homeowner is thrown on there!)

Quoting hipmomto3:

You're right, I shouldn't feel guilty. Maybe that's not quite the right word - DH (and by default, I as well) has worked really hard in school and his career to get to where he is now, and taking this job was a big gamble. I just feel sometimes like it's all going to come crashing down because we have it so good. I don't mean to sound prideful like we are rolling around on fat stacks or anything. ;) We have enough to pay our bills, and to put a little bit away, and do a few fun things too. But that's not the norm for one-income households in reality, and he works literally in the backyard and has to travel MAYBE one week a year - so it's a pretty cushy life I live here.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting hipmomto3:

#6 here

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM
The states surrounding me are on the list (Indiana and Kentucky) but not Ohio.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BramblePatch
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Idaho is on there but its not accurate, lol. I pay $3.29 for milk...I have a 2 bedroom plus bonus room (2300 sq feet) on 2 acres and its a $700,000 home. A T-bone in store is about $12 and in a restaurant $28+. No, I do not live in Boise....three hours away. But still....
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Wow! I'm surprised Louisiana didn't make it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)