Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling: The Public Schools’ Invasive Species

Posted by   + Show Post

I found this to be an interesting read & thought some of you might too! CLICK TO READ  What do you think?

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Replies (11-20):
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I live in a state with high regulations - for homeschoolers. 

At the beginning of the school year - I have to show proof of no prior crimes against children and felony convictions. I am required to have a h.s. diploma and speak/teach in English (I won't even argue with whatever that is about). I have to send medical records - vision, dental and family dr records. I then have to have a form notarized pertaining to the laws and such. I then hand in my purposed plans for the year - objectives AND materials.  

At the end of the year - I have to hand in a portfolio of the body of work we completed. Send in proof of field trips and a complete list of anything used for the year - books read, materials used, etc. I have certain subjects that HAVE to be covered - the normal for any school. Then I have to find and pay a teacher to evaluate the portfolio and my kids. They fill out a form that I hand into the school - along with the portfolio. I then have to get everything approved by the local school district. 

That pretty much covers that I am not a criminal sort of person, who abuses children. WHEN I am FOUND to have done any of the following, THEN I am denied the right to homeschool. In the meantime, per my rights, I am presumed to be innocent. You can't ban my right to homeschool in FEAR of what I MIGHT do PRIOR to actually doing it. 

Now, past the social concerns and to the point of academics... I am NOT a certified teacher. I don't know all the laws, the psychology and sociology issues, I do not know what all learning disabilities there are, I didn't pay $50,000 in loans to learn how to control a class of 25 students - or to decorate a classroom. I do not have advanced studies in any subject. I just read LOTS of books in my spare time and have specialized interest in various topics. I have a good sense of things. Im fairly decent at researching and seeking out resources when they are needed. I follow the laws and have managed well for myself in this society despite my very subpar start in life - no thanks to society or the government. 

Whether my kids like it or not, they were born to me. I will raise them the way I see fit. I will not allow anyone to dictate my choices - I don't engage in much discussion / debates concerning my choices. "My life, my kids... mind your own damn business!" - is my general thoughts. 

I dare anyone to make any agruement with me about how government needs to watch out for the welfare of society or how we need to be concerned for children, for the sake of the future of society... Because I promise you, I will come back again and again with countless arguements and proofs of how this society says one thing and does something else in these areas. 

While I am okay with some requirements and hoop jumping - checks and balances are good and it makes sense to have SOME sort of accountability - I am not okay with the government / school that has its own major failing system to be concerned with... to be dictating me or my families lives. 

I do not believe in the "America" that is often advertised and waved around. I don't think most people do anymore. The government is ran by the 1 percent. It's purpose is NOT for the better good of mankind - society.  

It is naive to think that JUST because you have nothing to hide that you should give up all personal freedoms and privacy. I personally give up my rights and be treated as presumed guilty ... based on others sensationalizing the worst of society. I am the product of society and the government - I grew up in foster care. The government is in NO place to run the affairs of my family - nor is society by in large! I will run my own thank you very much. 

Quoting AmaliaD:

I have read it, seems to be very slanted journalism, Who villainizes the NEA? I am a teacher(title I, reading k-3, charter school, non union). The home schooled children I have taught range from very bright and educated kids, to kids that have never retained anything academically (most at least 2-3 yrs behind). So I feel there should be some checks by the state for the welfare of the children, based on the huge variation I have witnessed. I have had to be observed by the state (like all Ohio teachers who did the praxis 2) I figured that I do a good job and have nothing to hide. Good homeschoolers shouldn't feel threatened either. We do have to accept that some people aren't good and would keep their kids home without teaching them. But those kids still have a right to education, so it then falls on the state to protect them from their parents like any other neglect. Homeschooling saves the gov a ton of money. I know an online k teacher who has a huge amount of "ghost students" who enroll, get the free computer, scanner, wifi and printer and never speak to the academy again. Some are long time homeschoolers who know their rights and use the state funds (why not?). And some just never make the kid turn on the computer, let alone teach him something. And right now, they can't do anything unless they can prove it (which isn't easy).

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Yes, the website seems to be pushing a VERY Libertarian view. I was being general when saying red or blue - libertarians are also not an agenda I am on board with. 

The claims in the article were superficial, slanted and were putting down the Obama administration for bogus reasons. I am not one to defend any side - but jeez, that anti Obama message blatant and throughout the article. Even I have to admit that most of it is ridiculous.

It worries me that so many people do see the agenda and the lies.

Can someone find me a NON Republican or Libertarian news source for that obamacare issue at the school district - I sincerely tried to find out more about that - but only one side has ANY news reports on it - that I could find. I would like to read more into that.  

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting celticdragon77:

I don't know who wrote that article, but I checked out some of their videos on Youtube (in hopes of better understanding the minds behind the article). I was NOT in agreement with much of the thinking. 

I don't vote. I am not red or blue. But I hate when I come across this bashing of one or the other - and I hate when something is used to justify pushing their agenda. It is all a scam. Sure enough, by the end of the article... an agenda was being pushed. 

Which was being bashed?  It seemed to me as if it were written in a Libertarian bent which would disapprove of both the Dems and the Repubs.  Other than the unsubstantiated slights on Obama which were full of inferrence with no real policy citations, it didn't seem to be bashing a political party.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM

The author is Wendy McElroy, who is actually from Canada. I don't necessarily subscribe to her ideals, which do look a bit Libertarian. However, I thought it was a well-written essay/article. I believe she substantiated her claims against Obama very well.

Of course this site would have a Libertarian bent, because it supports a FREE MARKET. Their stated purpose is to spread information about free market and liberty. Being supporters of independence, liberty, and free market, the site is naturally not going to support Obama nor the NEA. Their big government, big union ideals are directly opposed to FEE's.

Momto8kidsyay
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 12:40 AM
3 moms liked this
To the teacher who commented and said parents should have to be observed teaching because she was observed while teaching. That's apples and oranges. You should have to be observed. Other people are trusting their children to you. Homeschooling parents are doing no such thing. Not the same. No govt worker will be allowed in my home. Don't need em, don't want em. Doing great without your "help". My kids all get scholarships and are known as very intelligent and hard workers. Allow without "the village's" help!
Changedwomen
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM

That is just crazy.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 6:55 PM
What part?

Quoting Changedwomen:

That is just crazy.

Changedwomen
by on Aug. 3, 2013 at 9:14 PM

The whole thing makes me want to homeschool even more.

Quoting mem82:

What part?

Quoting Changedwomen:

That is just crazy.

Joann.HS
by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Just another article on one's opinion... I ain't scurred lol...
Momof697
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 9:16 PM

bump for later

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:27 PM
This is definitely a very interesting read!!!!!!!!! Great job finding itr! And thanks for sharing too!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)