Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

just starting - advice

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM
  • 15 Replies
I have 2 kids going on 1st grade and 3rd grade. Last year they were enrolled in Massachusetts public schools but we had some family issues and we're staying with my mother in Florida and we probably won't be back in MA until after the school year begins. To avoid switching them back and forth in schools this year I want to homeschool them but I'm having trouble finding a tuition free full curriculum program. Most MA programs have a cutoff date of registration and programs in Florida require proof of address.
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

What you are looking at are technical online public schools. Why don't you try homeschooling using a free curriculum like Lesson Pathways or you could make your own using the internet & the library!

baileyquarters
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM
I was afraid that was only a supplement program. I also don't quite understand how I go about creating a curriculum myself. How do I ensure they are keeping up with their public school peers?

Quoting usmom3:

What you are looking at are technical online public schools. Why don't you try homeschooling using a free curriculum like Lesson Pathways or you could make your own using the internet & the library!

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Isn't k12 free to everyone in the US as an alternative school?  I'm not positive, but did you look at that one?  I don't usually hear that people enjoyed it, but if you are looking for something temporary with a real curriculum outlined, it might be the way to go for you.

baileyquarters
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:07 PM
I did. The issue I have with that is its so structured. They require proof of residency, proof of medical, vaccines, daily attendance, etc.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Isn't k12 free to everyone in the US as an alternative school?  I'm not positive, but did you look at that one?  I don't usually hear that people enjoyed it, but if you are looking for something temporary with a real curriculum outlined, it might be the way to go for you.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM

Are you wanting to school them yourself or put them in an online program? And do you have a budget at all or does it have to be free?

baileyquarters
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 7:24 PM
I have no problem schooling them myself and I don't mind a small budget. I expected to pay for some supplies.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Are you wanting to school them yourself or put them in an online program? And do you have a budget at all or does it have to be free?

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:02 PM

Considering the ages of your kids, I would say to do Time4Learning, combined with library books, field trips, youtube videos and Netflix for science and some fun arts and crafts.

Quoting baileyquarters:

I have no problem schooling them myself and I don't mind a small budget. I expected to pay for some supplies.

Quoting swim-mom72:

baileyquarters
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I'll look up Time4Learning. Everything else we do. Plus we do workbooks and I use a lot of in-life teaching tools.

Quoting swim-mom72:

Considering the ages of your kids, I would say to do Time4Learning, combined with library books, field trips, youtube videos and Netflix for science and some fun arts and crafts.

Quoting baileyquarters:

Quoting swim-mom72:

oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:21 PM

good advice you have here!

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Where in fl are you? We r in orlando homeschooling a 1st grader this year. I woild just sign a letter or intent to homeschool so they r there. Im loosely following easypeasy which is a full free curriculum, and have got some good stuff from currclick.com, I also do math u see and we just read read read. Good luck
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)