Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How many hours a day for a 1st grader?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 21 Replies
We are officially starting next week. How many hours should I devote to academics? I'm thinking about 3 hours. Is that reasonable? We've joined several hs groups and there are also many activities to participate in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:13 PM

I do about their grade plus and hour....so 1st grader = 2hours, 2nd grader=3 hours, etc.  But that is the number of hours that I work with them.  They also do some on their own stuff.  My first grader does 30 minutes of "technology"...readingeggs.com, abcya.com, mathplayground, sheppherdsoftware, etc.  And 30 minutes of work boxes.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I wouldn't do more than 2 hours a day, personally - unless it's divided up, and you are including outside time. My son finished 1st last year and spent about 90 min on schoolwork most days.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Yes, I'm including his time on the computer and learning games in that 3 hours.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I do about their grade plus and hour....so 1st grader = 2hours, 2nd grader=3 hours, etc.  But that is the number of hours that I work with them.  They also do some on their own stuff.  My first grader does 30 minutes of "technology"...readingeggs.com, abcya.com, mathplayground, sheppherdsoftware, etc.  And 30 minutes of work boxes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:22 PM
Is that 90 minutes working directly with you?

Quoting hipmomto3:

I wouldn't do more than 2 hours a day, personally - unless it's divided up, and you are including outside time. My son finished 1st last year and spent about 90 min on schoolwork most days.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:30 PM
I have a 3 year old and I'm doing the letter of the week program with him, the one for 2-4 year olds. I'm going to involve my 6 year old in part of that so he'll do the art and music for the week's theme as well as storytime. Then I'll have him do Time 4Learning while I do the little lesson with LO. I plan to do the direct teaching with my 6 year old while LO naps.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Cool.  Then that sounds perfect, IMO.

Quoting Bluecalm:

Yes, I'm including his time on the computer and learning games in that 3 hours.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:18 PM

When my oldest was the only one really being "schooled," we did most of it during the others' nap times too. It worked out well. But not more than an hour usually. We'd also do some art activity after nap time, and usually in the mornings we'd be at story time at the library or at a park, it wasn't like they were parked in front of the TV.

We do workboxes so that 90 minutes I mentioned would be his workbox time. Some subjects require working directly with me (like flashcards or, until recentlly, reading), others he can do all on his own, and some are a combination where he is alone but has questions now and then, or needs to me to look over something when he's done. I always stick a 'break' assignment in a workbox about midway through, and he can go to the bathroom, get a snack and a drink, then come back to finish. It REALLY cuts down on his whining (which is usually his short attention span!).

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:49 PM

2-3 hours plus outside activites 

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:10 PM
For kindergarten last year we did about an hour and a half. So we plan for 2 hours to 2 1/2 hrs. Weve been doing summer school so we usually get everything done within that time easy.
oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:17 PM

we only did about 2 hours each day

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN