Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Starting to feel panicky

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM
  • 8 Replies

DD is fixing (why yes, I AM from Texas ;-) ) to start 11th grade and I feel so completely unprepared it's not even funny.

Math - Because she spent all year putzing around (and I can't believe I allowed it, but hindsight is 20/20), she still has 2 chapters of Algebra 2 to finish. And while Teaching Textbooks worked beautifully from the standpoint that I didn't have to know anything, it is NOT a high level curriculum. We're heading into Trig/Pre-Calc and she's taking placement tests for Saxon and Thinkwell to see if she's really ready for Trig. I'm going to feel horrendously guilty if she isn't.

That means I haven't even ordered our Math curriculum yet. *twitch*

English - kind of the same thing. She putzed, I let her. Thankfully, we're very close to being done with American Lit. But all my grand plans for writing totally tanked, so I'm going to have to pull on my steel girdle and get her ready to write essays and papers this year. I'm even thinking of using an SAT Essay Writing course to jumpstart her.

But have I ordered anything? No.

Thankfully, I have a pretty solid plan for Lit. First semester is Shakespeare and we'll do 3 plays - Hamlet, Richard III, and The Taming of the Shrew. There are some good tools for teaching Shakespearean English and grammar online, using the analyses in the editions I own, doing our own read-alouds on scenes, plus, frankly, the films!

Second semester is Fairytales, Folklore and Mythology using Joseph Campbell for our base analysis text. I can't worry about that yet.

Science - The plan is to get her registered at the local community college for an Astronomy class. I still need to write a transcript for her and get her in for her placement test. Thankfully, she only needs to take the Reading test and not the Math one.

Other than writing her transcript, we're pretty solid on this one.

World History - I'm at a total loss right now. I feel pretty good about the US History that I put together last year. I think it was a solid overview. But I'm not equipped to do the same for World History. The hardest part is finding a secular source that isn't horribly skewed either direction, and isn't just hundreds and hundreds of pages of dry reading.

Not only have I not ordered anything, I don't have the first clue which way to jump.

But hey. At least I have her Spanish and Latin curricula. Whoopee.

Then there's Co-op. I'm teaching two classes. One is a middle-school level Lit class comparing The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling with The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I'm pretty excited about it, but haven't even begun to plan.

And I'm heading up the 7-12 Drama program. Shoot me now. I thought I had roped two other moms into doing it, but because I didn't specify, they gave me a proposal for K-6 drama! My fault for not being specific. And since I'm coming into it so late in the game, I'm approaching it as a full-year class.

The first semester, we'll pick a play, do some drama exercises, learn a little theatre history, do a lit analysis of the play and playwright, and design sets and costumes. Then we'll actually get on stage and work the production for second semester. But again, I haven't even planned the first semester.

I'm about two months behind and I haven't even started yet. Aaaarrrggghhh!!!!

SusanTheWriter ~ Wife, Mom, Author

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 5:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 6:45 PM

You'll get it all figured out!  You're one of the pros!

I feel the same way though, so I understand the panicky feeling!!  But I know you will figure it all out!  I have had to make myself take just one problem and work it through, because I like to hop all around so I never seem to complete anything, just have bits and pieces of everything done.  At least you have a list and know what you need to work on.  I would start with the transcripts, then apply for the class and get that part crossed off your list.  Then pick the next thing to tackle and put a lot of focus into that.  At least that's what I would intend to do...

Good luck, we all know you can do it all!!

oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM

knowing you it will all come together!!!

what about using videos for world history

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:01 AM

You'll pull it together.  It'll fall into place.  Seriously!  It's just like writing on a deadline.  Give yourself the day it needs to be good to go and you'll do it.  :-)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:49 AM
Gah! I don't even want to think about high school! But it looks like you are doing fine :) it will all work out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I am feeling that way. This year I am teaching a co-op class for the first time and I still have not got my older 2 girls curriculum lined up.  I don't get my oldest until next week and then I have to match hers and my 6 year olds up so I am not teaching 5 different things.

celticdragon77
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

The hell if I would do co-op classes, I feel overwhelmed with just my two kids. That is incredible of you! 

woohoo...here is some encouragement!! Lord knows I have needed it at times. 

elizabooks
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:17 PM
While i know it is not completely accurate why not use the BBC program "horrible histories" as a jump start into world history?

Do you have an SCA group near you? if so what about their university classes? Last one i attended had classes on the changing roles of the mother superior in French convents over a 500 year period, the social influences of spice trade in India and China, & the influence of medieval car tooning on Modern Art. Among other topics. They tend to be very well researched and document ed. In fact some of the programs they offer may work for some arts and sciences requirements.
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Thanks ladies! Just writing it all out helped a lot, as did your encouragement.

Eliza, we have an SCA nearby, but they don't do university classes. We've been once right before the summer holiday started, but haven't been back due to crazy schedules. I'm hoping that once school officially kicks back in, we can really get started. Our first night was an Argent Scriptorium and she really enjoyed drawing and painting borders and heraldic symbols. In fact, I mean to ask them if any of them would be interested in doing a co-op class in the spring!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)