Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I think I just about have it put together...

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
  • 5 Replies

Here are our plans!  Any thoughts, advice, ideas, anything is welcome and appreciated!  Please let me know what you think, I really don't know what I'm doing, but I am trying!

DD10-5th grader:

Math: Harcourt Math grade 5 (older text, using as a guide) along with http://cbolding.wiki...LineDesigns.pdf and Khan Academy as supplements, youtube videos, and lots of math games

Spelling: Spell by Color jettedgames.com/spelling--we are fairly certain she is dyslexic and this seems to be similar to AAS but the first year is free.

Writing: Mostly built into History and Sciene-also have Write Source for some guidance (more for me)

Grammar: Write Source and dailygrammar.com

DS11-6th grader:

Math: BJU Pre-Algebra, along with Khan Academy as a supplement and for fun.  I also have MiF 3A for him to move into if he finishes Pre Algebra as quickly as I think he will.

Spelling: http://www.splashesf...urseoutline.htm to start, he really doesn't need a spelling program but we will do this and vocab

Writing: Mostly built into History and Sciene-also have Write Source for some guidance (more for me)

Grammar: Write Source and dailygrammar.com

Together:

History: SOTW1 as a spine with the activity book, and The Times Complete History of the World, along with documentaries and tons of library books

Science: Ellen McHenry's The Elements, Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, and extra experiments, and library books..and they are taking an engineering class at the Co op

Foreign Language: Sign Language-mostly because I want to keep them together, they are interested in it and I read it is good for kids with dyslexia, they will move onto another language later...we will use Hands on Sign Language and a Signing dictionary, along with youtube videos

Critical Thinking: All I have is a book of Brain Busters, I need to find more resources

Typing: Dancemat Typing, it seems young but they thought it looked fun and they have to start somewhere

Art and Music: Still researching and compiling-looking at piano lessons, also want to teach music and art appreciation and actual hands on art

PE: dance for DD, basketball and something else (track maybe) for DS, along with lots of just outside play/bike riding, etc.

We will also add in life skills-chores, gardening, sewing, cooking, fixing, building, etc.  And do some kid-led stuff if they find things they are interested in.  And they will join in whatever field trips and fun days with the co op and local homeschool groups.

by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gratefulgal
by Member on Aug. 1, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I haven't used this, but am planning on it for this year (for art). It has gotten some excellent ratings, and it's about $40 on Amazon. I'm not sure if it goes for your grade levels (I ordered the K-3) book 1, but it's worth checking out! It's called Artistic Pursuits and it's by Brenda Ellis.

Good luck and I think you are doing a wonderful job!

oredeb
by on Aug. 1, 2013 at 10:20 PM

do they like to read for fun?

looks like you got it going on, be sure to have fun all of you! and remember its ok if they dont get it all done in 1 day, theres always tomorrow

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:30 AM
It depends what they are reading, my 6th grader enjoys reading more than my 5th grader. I think I will be reading the history part out loud and I may do another more literature-ish book as a read aloud some of the time. They do like reading and are in the habit of reading before bed, but they have to have good library books to be happy to read.

I will be working too, so there's always tomorrow may be my motto ;)

Quoting oredeb:

do they like to read for fun?

looks like you got it going on, be sure to have fun all of you! and remember its ok if they dont get it all done in 1 day, theres always tomorrow

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:31 AM
Thank you! I will look at that book. We really don't have a lot to spend, but maybe the library has it.

Quoting gratefulgal:

I haven't used this, but am planning on it for this year (for art). It has gotten some excellent ratings, and it's about $40 on Amazon. I'm not sure if it goes for your grade levels (I ordered the K-3) book 1, but it's worth checking out! It's called Artistic Pursuits and it's by Brenda Ellis.

Good luck and I think you are doing a wonderful job!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Very nice!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)