Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Workboxes?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

What are these? I have seen them mentioned in other posts and comments, but I don't know what they are. Can someone please tell me? :)

by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this
They r just a system of organization. You have one subject per box and put everything the need down to pencils and paper in that box. Its a real time saver during but it takes a lot of planning andnprep before andnafter. I do something sort of now...I keep a 1 inch binder with all his work for the week, including paper pencils etc. Each days work is kept in an individual clear project holder so he knows once he empties it he is done for the day. Works for us since he doesnt stay in one place long enough and can carry the binder around.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 6:34 PM
1 mom liked this

They are boxes full of learning materials that the kids can explore for themselves. 

For my young ones I have connectagons, beans or rice and measuring cups and spoons, the over-sized pipe cleaners, colorful gels that they can place on one another to see how primary colors combine to make secondaries. 

For my just starting to read kids I have science experiments with pictures to show them what to do.  There are bearings and a wedge for rolling, a flashlight and objects/mirrors to show properties of light, a spring scale and a balance, pictures to color by number, dot-to-dots, find the hidden pictures, mazes, old scrabble letter tiles, word magnets, etc. 

For my older kids there are games, story starters, full written experiments with questions to answer, a microscope and slides, an animal classification sort, a make your own animal where they design a non-existent animal and then explain where it would live and why (it has wings and no eyes so it is a bat-type creature who lives in caves, etc). 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM
1 mom liked this

We started doing workboxes toward the end of last year, and plan to continue it this next school year.

There is a book (I downloaded it for free on my Kindle) called The Workbox System or something like that, but everyone seems to adapt it to fit their needs. What we have is a bunch of clear plastic shoe boxes. My oldest (5th grade) has about nine, while my younger 1st and 2nd graders have 6 each. I put their work in them (I don't however put pencils in there - but will put specific colored pencils if an assignment calls for it, or glue stick, or whatever). Sometimes I write down what they should do, like page numbers, and other times it's obvious what they should do. I try to stick at least one "fun" box in there each day - sometimes it says "go make a snack," or in the box itself I'll put a fun snack, or a little craft project from dollar tree, that sort of thing. Otherwise it's all their normal school books and assignments. For my oldest I have a laminated card that says "Practice piano," so when she gets to that box, she does that.

I also try to stagger the assignments that I know they will need help with. If I know my youngest will need help with her math, I'll mark that box #1 for her, but then I know my oldest will need help with getting started typing a report, I'll assign that in box #4 or #5 for her so hopefully I'm done with #1 by then... it doesn't work 100% of the time, but then I just have them wait for me to be ready to help them.

I hot glued magnets to each box and also laminated # cards and hot glued magnets to the back, so each child's boxes are numbered and they work them in that order. This helps if they need to do a lot from one book but will get bored - for example in box #2 I would put that book and say, "Do pages 16 & 17" and then in box #6 I'd put a note saying, "Go back to the ___ book and do pages 18 & 19." It breaks it up.

Donna.June
by Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Thank you, ladies!

Sounds like a great way to stay organized. I have four small kids with another on the way. My oldest is 6. I will be looking more into this system :)
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM
I might try this too!..
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I wanted to add - aside from my regular lesson plans I make, which I'd have to do anyway, doing the workboxes only takes me perhaps 15-20 minutes to set them all up in the morning before we get started. Usually I either do right before I wake the kids up, or right after breakfast while they are clearing the table, brushing their teeth, and making their beds. It saves me a lot of time during "actual school" time though because before,  I'd always be hunting down a book, or a calculator, pencil sharpener... it forces me to know where everything is!

Jlee4249
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 4:18 AM
I never knew that...
We have a box for each child, but just one. They are thoroughly decorated :)
in it, since my children are still small and can fit their day's worth of work in a single box, I put all their worksheets and/or booklets into it. They know once their stuff in their box is done, their day is done. It works well at keeping them motivated... Seeing the end in sight.
(of course we have days of stories and projects/experiments. On those days it's usually just math and grammar worksheets in the morning & onto fun stuff later)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN