Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you learning/teaching in August?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this

What's on the agenda?

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We start school officially (Kindergarten) on August 16th (a Friday so I can be home for her first day).  Before then we aren't doing too much.  We are reading through the first Harry Potter book and she is working on her reading by reading her BOB books and Dick and Jane books (she can read those with no problems).  Once in awhile she will do some copywork too to practice her writing (she loves copywork).  August is a very light month this year because her 5th birthday is in 10 days!! Plus we are super busy lol (multiple board game nights, Kickball games, softball games, overtime at work...etc)...

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Science: the night sky and the solar system.

History: Vikings.

Geography: The Ring of Fire and Volcanoes

marrionsmommy
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM
We are doing senses, body parts, building our own body mold. Moving into 3 digit addition, subtraction. Doing a section on egypt and mummies, making our own mummy. I will also try to implement a chapter a day reading (he hates to red, even though he can read really well).
He is doing grade 1.5 thats the month of august, we do school year round since we mostly do school wed, friday, sunday. We do small reviews and some math on m, t, th, and sat we do nothing. Our schedule is based on daddys day off mon, tues, and wrestling practice mon, tues, thursday. During the year he does tournaments on sat. So wd cant school then.
MacMamaof5
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:36 AM

For little ones--ABC's and 123's, Colors and shapes and Families.

For older ones--continued phonics, learning to read, continuing to read and write about how their day went in a journal...

August is for getting used to the routine and new chores and responsibilities...very laid back for us.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:55 AM
I'm going to finish planning in August, starting in September.
We still review math, and do a lot of nature walks, camping, hiking, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:35 AM
We'll finish out our summer museum tour and the girls are finishing summer dance, so we won't "officially" sit down and start with book work for a new year until those things are finished.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM

With my little guy - reviewing things we did last year in both reading and math. (we're starting the very last week of August so it really will ny just be review for him)

With my oldest, its mosty will be all introduction to the subect/concept, or review
Writing: intro into writing humor
Math: review of multiplication from last year, and continuing the little bit we didn't finish last year
History: Intro into the year and a general peek on what was going on in the world in the "early modern" times
Science: Astronomy

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Science: the night sky and the solar system.

History: Vikings.

Geography: The Ring of Fire and Volcanoes

We've been studying volcanoes since my oldest was about 3 (he's 10 now). He wanted to be a vulcanologist for a while. :)
oredeb
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:47 AM

no homeschooling here yet!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

We were doing the garden/plant life cycle/harvest/blah blah blah, but we've been derailed.  We'll do composting a bit earlier than planned and move into studying hail and how nature trumps it all.  We might even study the effect on food prices in our area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)