Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What are you learning/teaching in August?

Posted by   + Show Post

What's on the agenda?

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:59 AM

That would be a fun career I think.  The boys choose that topic every year, last year it was science and the year before it was in history (Mt. Vesuvius), this year it's in their geography list.  So we've covered them from different angles each time.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Science: the night sky and the solar system.

History: Vikings.

Geography: The Ring of Fire and Volcanoes

We've been studying volcanoes since my oldest was about 3 (he's 10 now). He wanted to be a vulcanologist for a while. :)

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:06 AM

He really wanted to mesh it all together with a bunch of things, turning it into a kind of superhero job, I think.  :)  We just came back from Devil's Tower, so we were talking about volcanoes yesterday.  If I were a millionaire, we'd take all the kids to Hawaii and see the volcanoes there.  Last year our museum had the traveling Pompeii exhibit.  My daughter was very upset by the bodies display, my sons were not fazed at all.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That would be a fun career I think.  The boys choose that topic every year, last year it was science and the year before it was in history (Mt. Vesuvius), this year it's in their geography list.  So we've covered them from different angles each time.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We've been studying volcanoes since my oldest was about 3 (he's 10 now). He wanted to be a vulcanologist for a while. :)

Britty1987
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

We're reviewing and playing games in math, in science we're learning about Creation starting with Day 1. In history we'll start learning about America and government.  We're learning ASL again (I taught him some when I was taking ASL courses) as well.  He'll begin learning cursive in a few weeks.   

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM

I'd love to take the boys to Hawaii!!!  They would also love to see Mt St Helens, and that one is doable in a few years. :-)

We were thinking about watching that Pompeii movie on Netflix, if I ever get around to previewing it.

Quoting hwblyf:

He really wanted to mesh it all together with a bunch of things, turning it into a kind of superhero job, I think.  :)  We just came back from Devil's Tower, so we were talking about volcanoes yesterday.  If I were a millionaire, we'd take all the kids to Hawaii and see the volcanoes there.  Last year our museum had the traveling Pompeii exhibit.  My daughter was very upset by the bodies display, my sons were not fazed at all.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM

I had been to Pompeii right after high school, so the kids get a kick out of that.  We have an inactive volcano here in CO that we need to put on our list of things to visit.  Have you watched the Bill Nye video on volcanoes?  He does a good job with it.  I love studying volcanoes!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'd love to take the boys to Hawaii!!!  They would also love to see Mt St Helens, and that one is doable in a few years. :-)

We were thinking about watching that Pompeii movie on Netflix, if I ever get around to previewing it.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Kaya529
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Colors, shapes, that last couple body parts he is getting confused, and Italian. The sign language and animal recognition/sounds were on my list but he picked them up really qickly. Also, thank you is proving a challenge.
CafeMom Tickers
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

We love Bill Nye.  We haven't watched his volcanoes, thanks for reminding me!  We just watched his one on The planets.

Quoting hwblyf:

I had been to Pompeii right after high school, so the kids get a kick out of that.  We have an inactive volcano here in CO that we need to put on our list of things to visit.  Have you watched the Bill Nye video on volcanoes?  He does a good job with it.  I love studying volcanoes!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:47 PM

For the rest of August we will be finishing Saxon Math 7/6 and doing 2 pages a day in a summer bridge book (6th-7th grade).  Bridge books are awesome because they cover a wide variety of subjects and topics each day and tend to fill in some gaps.  

I got the rest of ds's 7th grade curriculum in the mail last week.  I'm so excited and can't wait to get started.  Our new school year starts in September.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Just child led learning and reading, reading and more reading.  We aren't starting anything official until after Labor day.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:25 PM
School starting
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)