Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

History for pre-school and K?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

Does anyone have some ideas for me to do history with my 3.5 and 5 year old this 'school year'?

Good books to get from the library?  Internet resources?  Fun activities? 

Mainly I want to introduce them to early American history.  And also history that co-insides with science (Galileo, Aristotle, Benjamin Franklin, etc). 

Thanks.  :) 

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LongBeachLiz
by Member on Aug. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM
I have no clue. History is a hard concept when you don't have a good grasp of time.
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Aug. 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this
For my preschooler I focused more on social studies. The people in our community (firemen police, mayor etc) and the concept of city, county, state, country, world. Dunno if this was good but we had a good time on "field trips" and there are tons of crafts online coinciding with the city/state concept. Good luck!
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM
We are focusing more on world cultures and getting a better grasp on time and space. We learn about our community and various careers and look at maps to learn about the world. Sometimes I'll tell her stories that took place a long time ago to get her thinking of a time she didn't exist. That's a hard concept for a kid and history won't make sense until they can really grasp the passage of time. We'll be using Story of the World starting in first grade.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marrionsmommy
by Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:56 AM
We dont do history prek and kinder. Instead we did geography and history of self. As in where u live, who are the people around you, your address, etc. Also good people, police, fire fighters, doctors versus others strangers etc. Now that he is 6 and going into 1st grade he has a little better concept of time so I am starting with history this year. We found story books of lincoln, ben franklin etc and are doing a timeline around it. No way would he have understood or cared last year.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:53 AM
We barely even do history with my second/third grader. We read about and talk about things that happened in history, but a child doesn't truly grasp the concept of how long ago something happened until 4th/5th grade.
I would focus on the community (what does a mail man do, garbage man, grocer, etc) and just enjoy walks and play! :) have fun with it momma!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:54 AM
For the future, picture books by Tomie dePaola are great for history. Gail gibbons is a great science author.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM
My kids enjoyed the series Kids of the Revolution or something like that. It was dvds but it has a lot of online support.
oredeb
by debbie on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:53 AM

hi rachel, i can tell you what i do at that age, we learn about our family, the history, whos who nowdays, i try to get as many pictures of family as i can, also we learn about the area we live in, drawing large maps of where we live, where the farms are, things the kids would recognize, police stations, fire departments, etc. also biblical history some of the stories,  we dont do the history of our world  till 1st grade or so.

jenelle_trader
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:14 AM

My 4 yr old (will be 5 when we start) LOVES geography.  She's constantly pulling out the map or globe and asking me where certain family members live.  So I'm going to start with Geography (in more detail) for her instead of history.  She has NO sense of time and history wouldn't make any sense to her.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Books: "If You Were There When..." series has some good American history titles ("if you were there when they signed the constitution,' etc), also last year for read-alouds we did very early American history and my children enjoyed listening to Pedro's Journal (Columbus), they also liked Sarah Whitcher's Story quite a bit (these are Sonlight).

Videos: :Liberty's Kids series, PBS documentary on  Lewis & Clark, Magic School Bus episodes related to space exploration, 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)