Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

History for pre-school and K?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does anyone have some ideas for me to do history with my 3.5 and 5 year old this 'school year'?

Good books to get from the library?  Internet resources?  Fun activities? 

Mainly I want to introduce them to early American history.  And also history that co-insides with science (Galileo, Aristotle, Benjamin Franklin, etc). 

Thanks.  :) 

by on Aug. 4, 2013 at 8:25 PM
Replies (11-14):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

We do a lot of history. Just because a child can't fully grasp the distance of time between events until age 10 or so, they can learn the events of history and appreciate their significance. We just re-visit the same time periods over and over again, and we use a timeline, so they can see visually where events fall in relation to one another. 

Rachel728
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks, all.  We already covered the family history/local geography (and a lot of world geography) last year. We will reveiw some of those things again for my 3.5 year old.   

I'm not sure it matters that they can understand the association between when something happened to when they are living now....they can still learn about events of the past!  It'll all fit together when they are older. 

Those books sound perfect, hipmomto3!  Thanks. :) 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM
1 mom liked this

One thing I do like about Sonlight (and there are things I don't like, so this isn't some kind of plug) is that they start world history very early on, and get smaller (U.S.) as the child enters upper elementary. This is opposite of my (and I'd guess, most) public school experiences. We did "My Community" type activities out the wazoo in the early elementary grades - visit the fire station, my state history, etc - but didn't get into world cultures and geography until middle and high school. Doing it the opposite way has been so interesting to me - my littlest kids, at five years old, are NUTS about ancient Egypt! My son was obsessed with the Great Wall for several weeks last year. My fourth grader understands what Nazis are, what they did, and why they had to be stopped. These are things I'd have never covered in school until I was much older. So even if they can't understand the differences in how long ago these things happened, they can fall in love with the richness of the stories. It gives them so much to pull from when they are building with blocks or playing dress up!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Well, it would matter for my 4 year old, lol.

He doesn't understand time - as in "yesterday", "today", or "tomorrow"... so I'm not sure that he COULD appreciate any historical significance. Actually, I'm sure he couldn't; in fact I would be worried that it may upset him to believe what I'm trying to explain happened long ago, is happening now (because "now" is all he understands).

Now, for the 5 year old, I would go with Story of the World and maybe just have the 3.5 year old tag along, making sure to review community jobs, seasons, etc with the younger kiddo.

Quoting Rachel728:

Thanks, all.  We already covered the family history/local geography (and a lot of world geography) last year. We will reveiw some of those things again for my 3.5 year old.   

I'm not sure it matters that they can understand the association between when something happened to when they are living now....they can still learn about events of the past!  It'll all fit together when they are older. 

Those books sound perfect, hipmomto3!  Thanks. :) 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN