Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

looks like I will be

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM
  • 7 Replies
Homeschooling, I was planning on putting Ds in public school for a few years just so we could figure out all the needs he maybe in need of but my bf wants to live in Seattle or close to because he refuses to take a bus. I don't mind homeschooling but I was looking forward to going to school during the times Ds was in school.

But I do need help on information about getting Ds is speech therapy, I also looked into a co-op and I couldn't find any so far in the Seattle area. Also Ds is preschool age should I get anything for this school year? I know he needs to learn to ride a bike and draw shapes and learn to spell his name anything else would be helpful. Thanks.
by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 1:49 AM
1 mom liked this

You can go through the state before the age of 5 for speech therapy and they can not force you to put your child in school.  For preschool we just play and make a game of learning.  If you are cleaning up have him pick up 5 toys or something and if he counts wrong help him.  Count stairs, go on letter hunts, talk about the world around you.  All those things are great for school and for his speech.  I am not in Seattle but I am sure since it is so big there are co-ops.  I would look on meetup.com, yahoo, google, and just about any social media.  Good luck on your first year and welcome.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 5, 2013 at 6:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Jut play :) take a lot of nature walks, go to the library, read books, play games, have them help cook, clean, etc. take them on errands and let them be a part of the experience (giving the postal worker the mail, helping find the apples while grocery shopping). We did a lot of "can you get me the RED blocks and help me put them away?" As well as shapes, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:03 AM
1 mom liked this

1.  For help with speech therapy, see Special needs topic at this link (it is in Cafe Mom)

2.  How and what to teach the Pre-K student  (no need for curriculum...real life experiences provide all the curriculum you need.  Crayons, coloring books, play dough, ext  are important though. 

3.  Support Groups In Washington State

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Great ideas you posted. :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

You can go through the state before the age of 5 for speech therapy and they can not force you to put your child in school.  For preschool we just play and make a game of learning.  If you are cleaning up have him pick up 5 toys or something and if he counts wrong help him.  Count stairs, go on letter hunts, talk about the world around you.  All those things are great for school and for his speech.  I am not in Seattle but I am sure since it is so big there are co-ops.  I would look on meetup.com, yahoo, google, and just about any social media.  Good luck on your first year and welcome.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Love these ideas! Real life experienceis a great way to learn. :)

Quoting Boobah:

Jut play :) take a lot of nature walks, go to the library, read books, play games, have them help cook, clean, etc. take them on errands and let them be a part of the experience (giving the postal worker the mail, helping find the apples while grocery shopping). We did a lot of "can you get me the RED blocks and help me put them away?" As well as shapes, etc.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. 

Quoting kirbymom:

Great ideas you posted. :)

Quoting debramommyof4:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Good places to point her too. :)

Quoting romacox:

1.  For help with speech therapy, see Special needs topic at this link (it is in Cafe Mom)

2.  How and what to teach the Pre-K student  (no need for curriculum...real life experiences provide all the curriculum you need.  Crayons, coloring books, play dough, ext  are important though. 

3.  Support Groups In Washington State

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN