Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi there,

We will be starting our 2nd full year of homeschool this year.  One of the reasons I pulled my daughter out of school in the 3rd grade was because I had suspicion that she might be dyslexic.  She was falling behind so much and once I got her tested I learned that in 3rd grade dyslexic students usually hit a wall.  I was so frustrated with the lack of support and help from the school that I decided the best thing for her was to pull her out and teach her at her own pace.  I have been using abeka since then.  She will now be starting the 5th grade and I am contemplating spending the money on Verticy Learning which is an Orton- Gillingham based curriculum for dyslexics.  Dont get me wrong I love abeka but feel it lacks what my daughter needs in some areas since she is dyslexic.  Can anyone out there who have used both tell me if Verticy learning (calvert) is worth the extra money?

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 2:24 AM
Replies (11-14):
MOMMYJM
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Verticy is Calvert's program for dyslexics; it is connected to their SN brick and mortar school Jemicy, like Calvert is connected to their Calvert brick and mortar school.

It's a great program; just be aware that OG doesn't work for every dyslexic. A good alternative would be Dancing Bears reading and Apples and Pears spelling, with IEW writing, if you didn't want to spend the money on Verticy.

MOMMYJM
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:37 AM

Thank you, 

I will definitely look into it.  I just like the idea that all subjects are designed for children with dyslexia.  Im just conserned about the price.  I don't mind spending the money if I am sure it will help and that it addresses my daughter's needs.  So far I like abeka but I have to modify some of it due to her dyslexia.  She also is receiving tutoring 3 times a week with the Wilson system.   

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Verticy is Calvert's program for dyslexics; it is connected to their SN brick and mortar school Jemicy, like Calvert is connected to their Calvert brick and mortar school.

It's a great program; just be aware that OG doesn't work for every dyslexic. A good alternative would be Dancing Bears reading and Apples and Pears spelling, with IEW writing, if you didn't want to spend the money on Verticy.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM

You're right - the assignments are geared towards those with learning differences, but the texts and things used for content subjects (art, history, science, etc) are just standard public school texts - and they use the same texts for those subjects as they do for the non-verticy Calvert program. To be frank, you could do IEW for writing and apply the assignments, at your dd's pace, to YOUR CHOICE of history and science. KWIM?

Quoting MOMMYJM:

Thank you, 

I will definitely look into it.  I just like the idea that all subjects are designed for children with dyslexia.  Im just conserned about the price.  I don't mind spending the money if I am sure it will help and that it addresses my daughter's needs.  So far I like abeka but I have to modify some of it due to her dyslexia.  She also is receiving tutoring 3 times a week with the Wilson system.   

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

MOMMYJM
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM
That's also another way to go. I guess I will have to really sit there and research all options before I jump into verticy. I guess I just wanted something easy for me to follow since I am a Registered Nurse working 3 days a week :/ thank you for your advice :)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

You're right - the assignments are geared towards those with learning differences, but the texts and things used for content subjects (art, history, science, etc) are just standard public school texts - and they use the same texts for those subjects as they do for the non-verticy Calvert program. To be frank, you could do IEW for writing and apply the assignments, at your dd's pace, to YOUR CHOICE of history and science. KWIM?

Quoting MOMMYJM:

Thank you, 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)