Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kids and Their Interests...

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM
  • 34 Replies
So, mama's, what are your kids' interests this year?
Are they any different from last year?
Tell me about them. :)

undefined

by on Aug. 5, 2013 at 7:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Zombies, seriously this kid is obsessed with them and wants to incorporate them into HS.  He is also into Tornadoes, Dinosaurs (has been since he was 2), space (again since he was 2) and electriciity.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My son has just found a new interest in creating short films

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

8yo--- Indiana Jones (that has helped with history lessons!!), volcanoes, diet (nutrition), building (he wants to make birdhouses and birdfeeders this winter with his dad.)

6yo--- Still Zombies LOL, legos, sidewalk chalk, drawing and art, learning to cook.

4yo--- telling stories, bowling, scissors, bike riding, and Zelda

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:17 AM
2 moms liked this
This sounds a lot like my son but minus the zombies. He just hasn't gotten into them, and that's ok, my DH is kind of obsessed with them so one guy in the house with a zombie issue is enough, lol.

But my son loves space, the elements, rocks/fossils, dinosaurs, and math, the kid loves math.

My daughter is pretty obsessed with dogs. She likes other animals too, but dogs are almost an out of control obsession. And I just don't get it, I love our dog, but I am not a dog person in general. She also enjoys art. But really if everything in her life could be about dogs she would be happy.

Quoting kmath:

Zombies, seriously this kid is obsessed with them and wants to incorporate them into HS.  He is also into Tornadoes, Dinosaurs (has been since he was 2), space (again since he was 2) and electriciity.

coala
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I have one who is learning to enjoy reading......that is a HUGE step since last year. This same child has decided that she wants to try speed skating so that is a new interest.  She is being "drug" to 3 of 4 practices a week for the next 2 mos.  Through September they are doing boot camp and if she can survive it we will let her compete.  She is pretty dang good if you ask me for someone who hasn't had any formal coaching in this area.  She is only 4 seconds slower than the slowest kid in her division on our team.

My youngest just got her glasses so the world is opening up to her.  I have seen VAST improvements in almost EVERY area for her.  So, we will see what this year brings for her.  She also wants to take skating lessons, but isn't at the level that they will take her on for private lessons yet.....she has to get past level 2 in skating and she has been here for MONTHS.  I have talked to one of the coaches and he is willing to take her on as a recreational skater taking lessons.....so we are going to try that to see if we can get any improvements in her skating.  She wants to learn to do the pretty dancing on her skates and I want to see her accomplish that.

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:10 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh man, the math thing is my son as well.  He LOVES math.  It is the one thing I never have to fight him to work on.  He would do math 24/7.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

This sounds a lot like my son but minus the zombies. He just hasn't gotten into them, and that's ok, my DH is kind of obsessed with them so one guy in the house with a zombie issue is enough, lol.

But my son loves space, the elements, rocks/fossils, dinosaurs, and math, the kid loves math.

My daughter is pretty obsessed with dogs. She likes other animals too, but dogs are almost an out of control obsession. And I just don't get it, I love our dog, but I am not a dog person in general. She also enjoys art. But really if everything in her life could be about dogs she would be happy.

Quoting kmath:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol - my sons are as obsessed with zombies, tornadoes and electricity too. That has got to be a male gene thing. :)

Quoting kmath:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM
My oldest is good with that kind of thing. She helped me put together a short video for a project of mine. She was much better at understanding what needed to happen than I did. :)

Quoting Pukalani79:

My son has just found a new interest in creating short films

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
He wants to be homeschooled full time now. I had a problem before because when we first started he doesn't like it. Now, he loves math and reading doesn't upset him anymore.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Zelda!!!! I like Zelda myself. Lol so do all of my kids. I also like Infiana Jones. So adventerous!! :) I wanted to be like that. History was my favorite growing up.
I have an uncle who builds birdhouses for a hobby. He is really good at making them.
Bowling! When I was pregnant with my 5th child, I was on a bowling league. It was funny, watching me bowl at 8 months pregnant. LOL

Quoting bluerooffarm:

8yo--- Indiana Jones (that has helped with history lessons!!), volcanoes, diet (nutrition), building (he wants to make birdhouses and birdfeeders this winter with his dad.)

6yo--- Still Zombies LOL, legos, sidewalk chalk, drawing and art, learning to cook.

4yo--- telling stories, bowling, scissors, bike riding, and Zelda

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN