Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to homeschooling and trying to get it all together...

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

I've decided to homeschool my boys my dd right now wants to stay in the public school...

Boys are grade 2 and grade 4.

I'm thinking of using the following:

Math saxon, horizons or math for the left and right brain. Any tips on what you've used and works I'm open to opinions.

language arts learning language arts through lliterature (is this enough) should I be using a differnt program?

spelling power

I still need history and science...I'm thinking about using the magic school bus science that delivers month projects. But feel I need something else. (Need help finding history and science) I've heard Apologia science is good...

im also thinking of using Rosetta Stone Spanish both boys of had Spanish since kindy. 

Let me know your thoughts and what else I need...

Thanks for your help!

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I've never used any of those, but it sounds like you have it pretty well covered.  Does the lit have phonics for your 2nd grader?

We use Math U See and we love it!  It has a lot of manipulatives and really stresses how you use math in real life and we supplement it with Life of Fred which fills in gaps that most math courses have (like early introduction to terminology)

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I am using MSB Kits for Science and just supplementing with library books and stuff online.  For history we like Story of the World.  We are working on Ancients right now.  We are using Math Mammoth for Math so no help there and I don't know anything about language arts through literature so no help there either.  Good luck!

oredeb
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:51 AM

welcome lakeskids!!

what you have is pretty good, ive used some of those,

saxon is very good math, ive used language arts thru lit, but didnt care for it to much, i always felt that the kids needed more(lang. arts not my strong point) so i switched to rod and staff and very happy with that.

history- yea the story of the world is nice, magic school bus is fun!

apologia for science is great, i use it for all my grades, the kids love it

how bout some reading? library books,

how is there handwriting? http://www.learningpage.com/free_pages/galleries/basics.html they've got all kinds of stuff here, free, just have to sign up, been using there site for at least 15 years.

art? music? are they interested in that?bible?

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Be willing to change things if you find that it isn't working. Most of the time the reason homeschooling fails is because the material chosen just isn't right for that children & the parents are unwilling or unable to change it.

Jody59
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Sounds like good choices. We used Saxon all the way up and really liked it. (5 kids)

CHECK OUT THE WRITING COURSE

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Sounds like you have a great plan!  You're quick, it took me 4 months to nail down my curriculum when I decided to HS (and I'm still not completely set)!

I've heard great things about Story of the World for History and we are using it, I think it's a bit young for my kids but we are supplementing a lot.  I think it could be great for your boys, I started reading it and it's story like but full of info.  And there is an Activity Guide for each volume (there are 4 volumes) that has great ideas for extra reading, and lots of activities, mapwork, etc. 

We are using one of  Ellen McHenry's science programs to start and I am super excited about it, I think you could easily use it with 2nd and 4th graders, I am beefing it up for my older kids with some reading and extra experiments.

I've also heard Apologia is pretty good, and the Magic Schoolbus Science is supposed to be good too.

dailygrammar.com is a great website if you want to do grammar with them, you can do a lesson a day and it's all free.

Rosetta Stone is awesome and I wish we could afford it, my DH has wanted crazy languages (Arabic and Farsi, lol) forever, but it's just never something we can spend money on.  But I think it would be great for kids to get immersed in it.

Good luck and have fun!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN