Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

A small vent **Update**

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Sorry ladies, I have to get this out before I say something not so nice.
My cousin has no respect for the fact that we home school.
she will repeatedly call/text even after I have told her we are working on a project or doing school at the time.
Like today. It is the first day we have really gotten back to it. I even told her last night. She starts texting. I say we are doing school, I will talk to her later. She starts calling. I ignored her the first three times. She calls again. At this point I answer because I'm afraid something is wrong.
NOPE! She wanted to chat about her garden. I am all too happy to chat with her, but I told her twice that we weRe doing school. She laughed and said..oh that sounds like fun. *facepalm*
I finally just said. I am busy with school I will call you later.
I put up with this all last year. I am not doing it again this year. We are going to be having a little talk.
Oh and just a side note. I can not turn my ringer/phone off because my cell is also my work phone and we are self employed.
It just frustrates me because she acts like we are just sitting here playing all day and I should be available to chat 24/7.
One time she even asked me if I actually teach them how to read/ write and if we actually have school books. **double facface palm**
I need more coffee..
OK vent over.

**Update**

Just wanted to say thanks for the support and suggestions..especially the colorful ones. lol They made my day.

I will find a nice way to get the point accross sometime this year. I hope. lol

We spoke again this afternoon and i tried to stress to her how much we needed to accomplish on a daily basis and how they need my full attention. I'm calling it gentle nudge #1!

SHe is also one of those people in my life that just goes on and on about how she could'nt homeschool because she doesn't have the patience and couldn't spend that much time with her kids. etc.

I was dumb founded the first time she asked me if I actually did 'school' with them and if we actually had school books. Mainly because I had talked about our school with her in the past and mentioned the curriculums we use and resources etc. Maybe she just wasn't listening.

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Maybe have her come over and sit quietly and observe or find something she can help with. Then she would understand?
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Stop answering her calls. If it's an emergency, she'll leave a voicemail :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I agree completely

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Stop answering her calls. If it's an emergency, she'll leave a voicemail :)

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Can you program your phone to send all calls from her to voice mail?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Whatever you do, if you feel you MUST say something and that just ignoring her calls won't work, send it in email. LOL That way you can super edit and make smilies or whatever so it can be nicer than saying it out loud. 8)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:47 PM

Oh, and I would make it a family wide email so she doesn't feel like you are picking on her. Just say nicely but firmly to everyone, Hey, before 2pm we are working really hard and won't be available to talk or text. I know education is important to all of us so please respect these boundaries. blahblahblah Maybe sending out random pics of you guys working hard on *REAL* work will help the information sink in.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Or you could change your voice mail to : This is me. COUSIN if this is you, hang up no before I get the voodoo doll out, everyone else leave a message.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I've dealt with that. I'll put my phone on silent and even leave it in another room some days. What gets under my skin are the ones, that if I don't answer the calls or texts, they may show up at my house in the next 20 minutes. That messes us up even worse than if I just answer the text. I've seriously thought about putting a post on fb that says I don't call or visit your child's teacher while they are teaching, lets have a little respect for our school time, please. Don't know how well that would be taken though.
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a neighbor that kept coming over during our school time that I put a huge sign out on my door that school is in session and do not disturb. One time after that she banged for so long that I invited her in and hubby gave her one of my dd's BOB books. She asked him why he was giving that to her and he sweetly said that maybe she needed help with reading as she couldn't read the HUGE sign covering the front door.
She said I thought all you did was play and watch TV all day. She stayed and saw how much work is really done. Now she is much more respectful of my class time.
romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM

group hug

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN