Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

love & logic, have you tried it?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 47 Replies
Since we're homeschooling this year I've found myself more & more frustrated with my girls. A friend let me borrow a love & logic book & the difference between today & yesterday is incredible! I can't believe the difference in the responses my children are giving me. We start schooling Monday so this couldn't have come at a better time. Have any of you tried it? If so any other advice?
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM
3 moms liked this

I tried it years ago but didn't like some of the stuff it said to do like locking the child in their room for time outs & such so I found something that works better for us, peaceful parenting LINK

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Never heard of it.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I haven't tried it, but if what a previous poster asserts is true to their form (that it encourages locking children in rooms for time outs), I'll not even try it, lol.

ETA: after reading the reviews on Amazon, it seems painfully like the Pearls' books, which isn't a good thing. Spank them hard enough to hurt? Allowing a dog to starve so that its ribs show because it was the child's responsibility to feed it? Locking children in bedrooms... charging children for necessities...

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jody59
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I do not know of it but like most everything it probably has things that will work for you and things that won't. Just from experience, some thoughts: the better your relationship with your spouse the healthier the kids, they need consequence and reward. They need to know what you expect (what to do  more that what not to do.) What motivates one may not motivate the other. You are the parent.  Wishing you well!!!

CHECK OUT THE WRITING COURSE

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM

I wouldn't even look at it either if it's like what you said in your edit.  I don't feel like any of that actually teaches anything.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I haven't tried it, but if what a previous poster asserts is true to their form (that it encourages locking children in rooms for time outs), I'll not even try it, lol.

ETA: after reading the reviews on Amazon, it seems painfully like the Pearls' books, which isn't a good thing. Spank them hard enough to hurt? Allowing a dog to starve so that its ribs show because it was the child's responsibility to feed it? Locking children in bedrooms... charging children for necessities...

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Whatever you do, don't read the Pearls' books. Talk about nauseating...

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I wouldn't even look at it either if it's like what you said in your edit.  I don't feel like any of that actually teaches anything.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Free time for reading doesn't include books that make me nauseous, so thanks for recommending that I don't read that, lol.  I'm not a big one for parenting books anyway, I pretty much go with my gut and understand child development enough to know what works and what doesn't.  I can't say I *always* only do things that work, but I try ;)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

*chuckle*

I call it "natural consequences" (my preferred discipline).

Otherwise known as "fly by the seat of my pants". Lol.

Autumn is being mouthy because she's eager to get back to her ipad, I take the ipad. Problem solved. No planning, no parenting books.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Free time for reading doesn't include books that make me nauseous, so thanks for recommending that I don't read that, lol.  I'm not a big one for parenting books anyway, I pretty much go with my gut and understand child development enough to know what works and what doesn't.  I can't say I *always* only do things that work, but I try ;)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this

lol, DH told Kara that next time she slams her door he will take it off the hinges...she stopped slamming her door.  He also told her that if her bad attitude continues he will remove everything from her room that is not a necessity...I told him "oh I read that once..." he said "you had to read that to know to do it?" lol.  I didn't have to read it, but I remember reading it-I think on CM.

I love natural consequences!  I also fly by the seat of my pants most of the time.  Which I don't like sometimes when I dole out ridiculous punishments or punishments that are just as bad for me as they are for the kid (I hate grounding them, that means no one can do anything fun, lol...I've learned to just take away one thing-or a group of things like electronics).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

*chuckle*

Autumn is being mouthy because she's eager to get back to her ipad, I take the ipad. Problem solved. No planning, no parenting books.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 8:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Ah yes. I try very hard not to ground. I'm not in this to punish myself, lol. If a kid can't go out and run off energy, odds are they are going to be miserable... and make everyone else miserable. I'm with you - one item at a time, lol.

Although lately I've been getting sass back from Autumn (almost 12) because she's reading and really into her book. I have a hard time getting on her for that, as I can completely commiserate with her there (hate it when someone interrupts my reading time!). Lol.

And I remember my dad taking off my bedroom door one time... although I was a teenager (who was caught smoking in her bedroom *chuckle*).

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

lol, DH told Kara that next time she slams her door he will take it off the hinges...she stopped slamming her door.  He also told her that if her bad attitude continues he will remove everything from her room that is not a necessity...I told him "oh I read that once..." he said "you had to read that to know to do it?" lol.  I didn't have to read it, but I remember reading it-I think on CM.

I love natural consequences!  I also fly by the seat of my pants most of the time.  Which I don't like sometimes when I dole out ridiculous punishments or punishments that are just as bad for me as they are for the kid (I hate grounding them, that means no one can do anything fun, lol...I've learned to just take away one thing-or a group of things like electronics).

Quoting AutymsMommy:

*chuckle*

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)