Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Science Curriculum

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM
  • 13 Replies
I need help. I do not like the science curriculum I have. I need some ideas. What are you ladies doing for science this year? Any ideas?
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM
What grade? Nature study?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenCreole313
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Grade 5, boy, visual learner, I'm open. I just want something interesting and fun. 

ballerina.2006
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I love mismatched stuff for science. I just get a few books chalk full of experiements and go with it. My ds1 is HUGE into human body so we'll do a ton of that with him this year. For my dd we have books like "Brown Paper Bag Science" and "Focus On (chem and bio sets". She's only 7 so Little Professor kits and Magic School Bus kits are also in my science curriculum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:38 PM

any of the apologia books are good, she has a new one out chemistry and physics that looks very good

we also enjoyed this science

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Young Earth? I've heard good things about Apologia for those who are (YE). The anatomy is supposed to be superb.

If you're open to secular, I always (ALWAYS) recommend Ellen McHenry. Hands on and loads of fun.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Ds liked the Mr. Q's books.  You can even download Elementary Life Science for free.

This year for 7th grade ds will be using Apologia General Science.  He loves it - we bought the lab kit that goes with it, too.  I didn't like Apologia for the younger grades as it is too religious for us.  The upper grade books are written by someone else (the husband) and have very few religious mentionings.  I like a good meaty factual fun interesting science curriculum.  This fits the bill.  I plan on using Apologia for the long run since it's the best I've found for ds - and I have researched for months as to what to use throughout high school.  He prefers books as opposed to anything online so that may limit us a bit.  

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
we love apologia at our house!

Quoting oredeb:

any of the apologia books are good, she has a new one out chemistry and physics that looks very good

we also enjoyed this science

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

I must concur! The Anatomy book is superb! We did it for 6th grade and loved it.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Young Earth? I've heard good things about Apologia for those who are (YE). The anatomy is supposed to be superb.

If you're open to secular, I always (ALWAYS) recommend Ellen McHenry. Hands on and loads of fun.

RheaF
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

We are using Apologia and love it! Started with Astronomy.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Last year we did Apologia Land Animals for 7th grade, and it was one of the best years in science, as far as learning great info, that we have had.

This year for 8th, my visual/kinesthetic learner has requested something where he just does experiments every week and then learns from that. So, we are trying A Reason for Science. It looks perfect for what we are wanting to accomplish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)