Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are any of you trying something new this year and you love it? This could be a method or materials used. Or perhaps you have been trying something you had high hopes for success, only to be disappointed? I would love to hear about it : )

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (11-20):
mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM
I got 1 child and he's 11 with autism.
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:19 AM
Yeah, we practiced different routines using work boxes and I would fill each work box before I left for work. I'm not sure if I will use work boxes again or just highlight the lesson plan. But we will see :)

Quoting swim-mom72:

Yeah for Kinder!! Such a fun time. And that is so neat that your hubby will be doing most of the schooling : )

Good luck!

Quoting armygirl16:

Everything is new this year! We start kindergarten this year. We will be using Memoria Press (getting it any day in the mail). We are delaying our move by 13 weeks, so I can start school Friday, August 16th like I wanted. I hope we like this curriculum. If not them hubby said we can switch over to Sonlight for 1st grade. Hubby will be doing the teaching and I will do the planning/compiling/organizing. I work 40-55 hours a week so I will teach on my days off :).
Everything from curriculum to methods are new to us :)

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

We are trying a few new things:

• A new literature program (Lightning Lit 7)
  • a new geography program (World Physical Geography by Runkle)
  • we're going to try and do 2-3 hours of academics per day instead of our usual 1-2 hours
  • more emphasis on writing.  
  • more technology/engineering programs and classes
  • more field trips
  • more time with friends
  • basketball and a return to scouts
  • Oh, and much more time to do everything since for the first time in 7 years I'm a SAHM again!

Angela

dd(19) Internship in Manhattan, dd(17) Senior at the (real) Fame school,                                               ds(12) 7th Grade homeschooler

Visit my Blog

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Thanks. My 6 year old likes it but the are switching to common core this year so it will be our last year with them.

It probably would have been anyway since it is not challenging enough for her either.

I have noticed k12 is either to hard, to easy or to structured for most people. Though I have talked to people who have used it for years.

Quoting swim-mom72:

sorry K12 did not work out for you. actually, I have never talked with anyone that it did work out for.

good luck with your new material!

Quoting debramommyof4:

We are leaving k12 with my oldest and using normal homeschool curriculum and making up some of it.

wowguildmomma
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM

We are using America the Beautiful for history and just adjusting the activites to suit each of thier ages.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

I've given Missie her Math and Science via a textbook that comes with online tutorials. (Not in real time, or anything, more of a cheap Teaching Textbook set up). It has really taken the pressure off of me. I just need to help her get her pacing better.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 6:43 PM

This year we've also added The History of US and we love it!

bether89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

We are using BJU science 5 and history 5 for the first time this year.  I hope that we like it.  We start back schooling next week, so we will see how it works out.

I will also be schooling my 4 year old this year.  We are starting co-op for the first time next week also.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 1:00 AM

Oh bummer! I was hopeful Oak Meadow would be a good fit for you all. But, I agree with you, stick with what works! It works, AND it's cheaper?? WIN!

Quoting Boobah:

We purchased oak meadow, and while it was lovely it wasn't the grade level we needed, and it also didn't really outshine our current curriculum which is way cheaper. So we decided to stick with the same as last year - journey through Waldorf. We loved it, and it worked beautifully for us, so why change right?

We are reading the American girl history series, and Julia really likes it. We aren't doing anything formal, just for fun.

I tried math u see over the summer and was a bit disappointed in level beta. It uses blocks forEVERYTHING and made little sense, so it confused my daughter on things she already knew how to do. We were watching the video together and doing it, but finishing out the curric I will watch it and just show her using the Waldorf method.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 8, 2013 at 7:48 AM
I'm the most indecisive person in the world. I got a cheap copy of OM2 last night on eBay. I wanted to see what grade 2 is like, since I had grade 3. Lol

Quoting swim-mom72:

Oh bummer! I was hopeful Oak Meadow would be a good fit for you all. But, I agree with you, stick with what works! It works, AND it's cheaper?? WIN!

Quoting Boobah:

We purchased oak meadow, and while it was lovely it wasn't the grade level we needed, and it also didn't really outshine our current curriculum which is way cheaper. So we decided to stick with the same as last year - journey through Waldorf. We loved it, and it worked beautifully for us, so why change right?

We are reading the American girl history series, and Julia really likes it. We aren't doing anything formal, just for fun.

I tried math u see over the summer and was a bit disappointed in level beta. It uses blocks forEVERYTHING and made little sense, so it confused my daughter on things she already knew how to do. We were watching the video together and doing it, but finishing out the curric I will watch it and just show her using the Waldorf method.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)