Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are any of you trying something new this year and you love it? This could be a method or materials used. Or perhaps you have been trying something you had high hopes for success, only to be disappointed? I would love to hear about it : )

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM

We're trying Write Shop Jr for writing, Handwriting without Tears, and Mosdos Press for Literature this year which is new for us. We're still using History Odyssey, but also more components of Story of the World. I'm hoping by mixing and matching assignments between the two, she'll actually be able to make it through history this year with minimal issues.

Also new this year is brining in Little Guy for almost full time. He'll be added in for 3 or 4 days a week (he's 4 so it won't be for any real length of time either, but he keeps  begging to do school...until we actually start doing it lol). With my daughter, she has to get the majority of school done before lunch, where as Little Guy has to do it after lunch. The problem: She doesn't get up til 10 am on her own, and he wakes up at 7 am on his own lol. I'm going to have to wake her up by 8 so we can get everything done before lunch for the first week to see how it goes so we can get school done during their best times to work.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 8, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We arevtrying Studies Weekly this year for history, social studies and science. We loved the free materials, and are waiting with baited breath for the real curriculum to come in!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Well, all of our junior kindergarten/kindergarten materials are new to us, as I didn't start homeschooling my eldest until she was older.

I love most, if not all, of it! We're enjoying Phonics Pathways and having great success with that, Little Stories for Little Folks, and Leap Frog for phonics! I like Singapore Essentials and Seton Kindergarten Mathematics well enough. I love the looks of Miquon, although I haven't had the time to start implementing it yet (and I need to get some c rods first, too). I especially love the supplemental religion books I got for him.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 5:03 PM

That has to be a great feeling to love most or all of your material!!

Can you let us know how you like the Miquon? I can find little to no reviews on it, and having some real feedback might help someone out.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, all of our junior kindergarten/kindergarten materials are new to us, as I didn't start homeschooling my eldest until she was older.

I love most, if not all, of it! We're enjoying Phonics Pathways and having great success with that, Little Stories for Little Folks, and Leap Frog for phonics! I like Singapore Essentials and Seton Kindergarten Mathematics well enough. I love the looks of Miquon, although I haven't had the time to start implementing it yet (and I need to get some c rods first, too). I especially love the supplemental religion books I got for him.

swim-mom72
by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 5:05 PM

What is "Studies Weekly?" I have never heard of it. Let us know how you like it.

Quoting KickButtMama:

We arevtrying Studies Weekly this year for history, social studies and science. We loved the free materials, and are waiting with baited breath for the real curriculum to come in!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM
1 mom liked this

We're trying child led schooling this year and loving it already. This is our third year and I finally feel like I'm making some progress.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Oddly enough my son cried every time we used it,lol. Don't get me wrong, it's a great series, my 6yo loved it, it's just not for him.

Quoting No_Difference:

We're trying Write Shop Jr for writing, Handwriting without Tears, and Mosdos Press for Literature this year which is new for us. We're still using History Odyssey, but also more components of Story of the World. I'm hoping by mixing and matching assignments between the two, she'll actually be able to make it through history this year with minimal issues.

Also new this year is brining in Little Guy for almost full time. He'll be added in for 3 or 4 days a week (he's 4 so it won't be for any real length of time either, but he keeps  begging to do school...until we actually start doing it lol). With my daughter, she has to get the majority of school done before lunch, where as Little Guy has to do it after lunch. The problem: She doesn't get up til 10 am on her own, and he wakes up at 7 am on his own lol. I'm going to have to wake her up by 8 so we can get everything done before lunch for the first week to see how it goes so we can get school done during their best times to work.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

We haven't started yet, but we switched to Math U See and Apologia Science...   I'm really looking forward to seeing how these work for us.   My kids are pretty excited, too.  

In math, we had to step backward a bit... not because my kids were behind, but because Math U See structures it different than some other curriculum.   We felt, for example, that my son needed to go back and do Gamma (the multiplication level) but we will skim through the things he knows inside out and backward and then jump to the next level whenever he gets done (maybe mid-year?)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:50 PM

Oh, yes, and this is my first Kindergartener to teach wholly on my own, too.   She is a challenge, too... personality wise.  

Doc has been pushing me to have her assessed for ADHD and possibly ODD.   I don't think she's ODD, but she is just very oppositional by nature... doesn't mean she has a disorder... but that's another topic.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Studies weekly is essentially a weekly newspaper. You can get ones for social studies, government, science, etc. then then kids can have their own news paper chock full of information! It's just a fun alternative to textbooks,

http://www.studiesweekly.com/teachers

Quoting swim-mom72:

What is "Studies Weekly?" I have never heard of it. Let us know how you like it.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education / KBM Creations  / Pintrest
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)