Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are any of you trying something new this year and you love it? This could be a method or materials used. Or perhaps you have been trying something you had high hopes for success, only to be disappointed? I would love to hear about it : )

by on Aug. 6, 2013 at 10:57 PM
Replies (31-33):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I have tried just about every other handwriting option, and my daughter's handwriting is still very hard to decipher. My little guy still hasn't chosen a hand, and I'm severely left hand incompetant and I like the part where it tells you how to teach a lefty lol, and I was able to get the hubby off my back about how I hold a pencil!! :)  So this year, it's more for me since it's so instructive, because I'm thinking maybe I was teaching how to write wrong??? And then hopefully the kids' handwriting will improve as a bonus :)

Quoting paganbaby:

Oddly enough my son cried every time we used it,lol. Don't get me wrong, it's a great series, my 6yo loved it, it's just not for him.

Quoting No_Difference:

We're trying Write Shop Jr for writing, Handwriting without Tears, and Mosdos Press for Literature this year which is new for us. We're still using History Odyssey, but also more components of Story of the World. I'm hoping by mixing and matching assignments between the two, she'll actually be able to make it through history this year with minimal issues.

Also new this year is brining in Little Guy for almost full time. He'll be added in for 3 or 4 days a week (he's 4 so it won't be for any real length of time either, but he keeps  begging to do school...until we actually start doing it lol). With my daughter, she has to get the majority of school done before lunch, where as Little Guy has to do it after lunch. The problem: She doesn't get up til 10 am on her own, and he wakes up at 7 am on his own lol. I'm going to have to wake her up by 8 so we can get everything done before lunch for the first week to see how it goes so we can get school done during their best times to work.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
jen2150
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Yes.

New online science curriculum.
Fencing class and a new co-op.

Started a new history club.
New creative writing program
culture club
Just finished writing a new syllabus for my co-op called creative math.
ablessedlife
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Quoting ballerina.2006:

We are trying:
Logic of English (the younger levels)

bfbooks.com Early American History Primary Jumbo Pack (soo excited for this!)

Beyond School Learning Palette- supplement for dd and part of "school" for my ds1 for pre-k

Braingrow.com for elementry Spanish

And still contemplating kidsart.com for new art books

Phew! We're trying a LOT of new! I was in desperate need of a new English and social studies curriculum so I'm beyond excited for those to come in!

Braingrow Spanish is Powerglide, isn't it?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN