Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why Are Kids So Rude These Days?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM
  • 11 Replies

Why Are Kids So Rude These Days?

by Kristen Chase

Why are kids so rude these days? Every time I'm around children that aren't my own, I can't help but think about the lack of manners. Granted, my kids aren't angels and don't necessarily remember to say "please" and "thank you" all the time. However, I'm usually right there to remind them.

That's not the case with most of the kids I see these days. So I have to wonder, do parents care about manners any more or is it just me?

Whether we're in our own home or out in public, I'm a pretty big stickler about behavior and manners. It's not about making a good impression, which hey, is a nice bonus. Mostly I care that my kids grow up to be polite, responsible adults. And in my opinion, manners go a really long way.

Here are 5 etiquette rules I'm pretty firm about enforcing that I wish other parents would do too.

1. Please

While I don't force my kids to speak to people they don't know, I will prompt them to say "please" if they want something. And if they don't, then I will say it for them. Simple as that.

2. Respectful Adult Greeting

In my house, you address adults by Ms. or Mrs. Last Name or Miss or Mister First Name (something that's more common in the south where my kids grew up). I cringe when children call adults by their first name.

3. Table Manners

I'm not necessarily a "no elbows on the table" person, but I'm a big fan of family meals whenever we can manage it. That means we all sit and eat together and when we're done, we all ask to be excused. There will be no popping up and running around whenever we please.

4. Excuse Me Please

I can't tell you how many times I get bumped by kids, none of whom ever say "Excuse me." My kids are taught to say it when they bump someone accidentally or need to get by someone, just like my parents taught me.

5. Thank you

I'm not just a stickler about thank you, but I also make sure that they what they are thankful for when we are on a playdate or visiting someone else's home. I think making the extra effort leaves a good impression.

What manners are you a stickler about?

by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:04 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm a stickler about manners, but really I don't think about it. I'm always a little surprised that I get approached by strangers everywhere we go to tell me I have such polite & well behaved kids. When I'm asked how I  do it I just explain that my kids didn't realize they had the option to misbehave...lol..

kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Manners is a big thing for me as well, but most of the kids I know are very polite, please and thank you, yes/no ma'am/sir, excuse me, they use them all.  I haven't seen an increase in rude kids, their parents tend to be ruder than they are. 

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I am usually all over my kids and make them probably be way overly polite when we go to other people's houses but I would rather they say thank you too much than not at all.  Even the 2 YO says thank you now without having to be prompted too much.

I also stay on my kids about addressing adults as Miss/Mr.  It drives me crazy when other's kids will call me by my first name and then my kids see that and think it is ok.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Manners like everything else are learned best by example so if the kids you are seeing are rude look to the people they spend most of their time with & you will see where it was learned from!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:37 PM
First of all, I love this post Michelle! Kudos for posting it. :)

Secondly, I am a stickler for all manners!
I agree with the author of this article. I don't think they are being taught much anymore.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM
I get the same reaction about my kids. lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

I'm a stickler about manners, but really I don't think about it. I'm always a little surprised that I get approached by strangers everywhere we go to tell me I have such polite & well behaved kids. When I'm asked how I  do it I just explain that my kids didn't realize they had the option to misbehave...lol..

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I am a stickler for manners!  I also think a lot of parents just 1) don't have the time, 2) want to spend some good "fun" time with their kids after everyone gets home from school and work, so they don't want to ruin it with manners criticism, and 3) spend so much time in social networking sites that they forget what is polite (iow we are much ruder people online).

I am also one that gets surprised when people tell me how polite and well-behaved my kids are.

Cafe MichelleP
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

You are welcome.

I am a stickler for manners as well.

Quoting kirbymom:

First of all, I love this post Michelle! Kudos for posting it. :)

Secondly, I am a stickler for all manners!
I agree with the author of this article. I don't think they are being taught much anymore.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Aug. 7, 2013 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm very much a stickler for manners. I've been complemented on how well mannered my dd is She is only 4 but uses Miss/Mr and the persons first name, if she knows it. Or she will say Miss or Sir if it's a stranger.
heydooney
by Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM
One my 6yo son has just started: "I'd have one of those" Um, no you wouldn't! How about "May I please have one of those?" Overall he's much more polite when he's in the presence of strangers, which is good I suppose. I took all three to an indoor bump-n-jump place and while I was busy with a younger one, my 6yo ran into a small child. He stopped, apologized, and helped the little boy up, and made sure he was OK. The boy's mom told me all of this and said how polite my son was.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN