Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

k12 ?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
  • 21 Replies
Is k12 a good program? Anyone here use it?
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM

We used Connections, which is a type of K12 program online. It was nice, but too structured for us

.Angelica.
by on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM
I'm so nervous about homeschooling. I think I want to try something more structured right now. I'm sure I will change my mind once I get the hang of it. Lol I was thinking of getting my son into the k12 program that starts next month.

Quoting Pukalani79:

We used Connections, which is a type of K12 program online. It was nice, but too structured for us

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:08 PM

K12 is in trouble in several states.

Hre's an article that is about 18 months old but it covers a lot of the problems:

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11435235/1/k12s-troubles-mounting-in-the-us.html

There are also several former users of k12 here on CM that had a lot of problems.

I know in my state (GA) not only are they facing legal problems, but the teachers are gaining a reputation for assigning a lot of work and offering no support.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM
Here in Florida they've had to let go a good portion of those teachers because enrollment is way down.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:56 PM
I did it with my nephew for a year. It didn't offer the flexibility we needed and wanted
BiscuitsMommy
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 8:57 PM
We use Connections Academy and love it. I've heard that with K12, you have to be logged in for certian amount of hours each day. CA you don't. We started today and my boys can't wait to do more tomorrow.
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I looked into it years ago when we first started homeschooling & at the time it was not offered in our state. I am so glade that we never used it because I have talked to other Mom's that used it & they said it was worse then the public school with the work expected & schedule required.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I used k12 from January to January.  We decided we hated it.  It is a public school at home so you will still not have as much of a say in their education as most homeschoolers would like.  They had a lot of constraints IMO.  You are not considered the teacher, just the learning coach.  For us they made decision that did not work for our family and it was hard to get those choices reversed.  They really did not seem to believe that a parent knows what is best for the child just as many brink and mortar schools do.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Aug. 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM

This may be a good start for you then.  As you get more comfortable and confident you'll either decide to stick with it or find something that is better suited to you. It's all about what works best for you and your child.  If this is it - then fantastic!

Quoting .Angelica.:

I'm so nervous about homeschooling. I think I want to try something more structured right now. I'm sure I will change my mind once I get the hang of it. Lol I was thinking of getting my son into the k12 program that starts next month.

Quoting Pukalani79:

tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Aug. 7, 2013 at 11:13 PM
We did it for two years and it was not a good fit for us at all.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN