Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son will be a failure in life because my lesson plan is lacking. piog

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM
  • 32 Replies

Words of wisdom from my MIL. She wanted to know what exactly I was teaching her grandson since I decided to take him out of "real school". I rattled off my lesson plan and she was appalled! Tell me what you think. (He's 8 years old)

Reading:Any fun book.

Grammar:Mad Libs (Recently added)

Writing: Silly notes to his sister

Math: Worksheets (as many problems as he wants to do) Shopping, counting money,ect.

Science/history: Thumbing through library books. Experiments, nature walks. Watching Magic school bus.

Geography: Figuring out where ^^^ subject is on wall map

P.E. Playing at park, swimming, riding bikes.

Home EC: Pick a recipe from kids cook book

Conversation time: Walk dogs

Chores: Help pick up.

by on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 8, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I think it is a great lesson plan.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds great. The best way to "fail" your child, IMO, is to either push him too much or not make it clear you love him. The rest will work out fine. Don't let anyone bother you, not even, maybe even especially family.

angelamiles05
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:18 PM

I think its a good start. Could you add more to it, yes. However you are the one who knows what your child can handle. Anyhow thats my opinion.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:21 PM
:) i always loved mad libs lol
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:27 PM

Thank you :-)

Quoting usmom3:

I think it is a great lesson plan.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

MacMamaof5
by Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Don't entertain your MIL or anyone else who is negative for that matter.  Tell them to join you one day if you don't mind sharing your business, otherwise, it's not up to them.  Certainly the public schools lock the parents out of the child's education (they do here anyway), then you can do the same with outsiders.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

I could give my opinion of your ideas, but that's not really what you are asking about... is it?

You more want to know if your MIL is right or wrong or if you are handling things OK with her... or if she's just off her rocker.

So.. .I'll still with that topic.  LOL!   My best advice.... Stop the info train.   When she asks, just say that learning is always a work in progress and he's progressing quite well.   Or take the opportunity to brag about something you did... but don't give her much info.   She's your MIL, not the state appointed "checker-uper-oner" of homeschoolers.   

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I've done the former in the past, trying to keep up with PS but never the latter.

Especially family,lol. They really knwo how to get under your skin...

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

Sounds great. The best way to "fail" your child, IMO, is to either push him too much or not make it clear you love him. The rest will work out fine. Don't let anyone bother you, not even, maybe even especially family.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM

I'm hoping later on he can take on more as it suits him. But for now he gets REALLY overwhelmed and shuts down if there's too much going on.

Quoting angelamiles05:

I think its a good start. Could you add more to it, yes. However you are the one who knows what your child can handle. Anyhow thats my opinion.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Me too! I just rediscovered them and thought, perfect for my reluctant reader.

Quoting Precious333:

:) i always loved mad libs lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)