Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

They told her homeschooling was illegal in California...

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
  • 32 Replies

I was one of those kids who NEEDED to be homeschooled. Elementary wasn't too bad. Even though I had a lot of anxiety, I kept good grades. Once I hit junior high all of that changed. My social anxiety was so bad I threw up every morning and had migraines all day. I didn't understand the work and fell so far behind. My mom finally had enough and decided to HS. During a meeting she said she wanted to pull me out but was told Homeschooling was illegal in California and she could go to jail. The principal then told me I would be put in foster care and never see my mom again if I didn't start going to school. I had a nervous breakdown about 5 mins later.

That experience cut very deep. I ended up dropping out in 9th grade and had nightmares about that school into my 20's. It was years before I could step on school grounds without hyperventilating.

I've looked it up but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know (or can find out) if homeschooling was illegal in California back in 94-95? I'd like to know if my trauma was preventable...

by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 1:00 PM

It was legal.  They were just trying to scare her and it worked.  That really sucks.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Ah...I hope my pain was worth it to them.
Quoting kmath:

It was legal.  They were just trying to scare her and it worked.  That really sucks.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 9, 2013 at 1:39 PM

I found this LINK & did some skim reading & this jumped out at me By 1989, there were only three states where home education was still a crime. Iowa, North Dakota, and Michigan were the last home school holdouts.

So I would say that they lied to your Mom & you suffered needlessly.

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM
I also found this on the encyclopedia website as the answer to the question When did homeschooling become legal in all 50 states? In the United States, home schooling has been legal in all 50 states since 1993, with regulatory laws and performance-tracking procedures differing widely from state to state ...
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this
I just love how they straight up lie to people and people wonder why some of us have issues with the public school.
Both the public school and the Doe were twisting things for my aunt.
BatMom.
by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM
That's so messed up. I'm so sorry, OP.

Quoting usmom3:

I found this LINK & did some skim reading & this jumped out at me By 1989, there were only three states where home education was still a crime. Iowa, North Dakota, and Michigan were the last home school holdouts.

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Well, I doubt it was illegal since I went to college with a person that was homeschooled in California.  Her and her whole family unschooled (technically), but they were all born and raised in California.  I on the other hand was born and raised halfway across the United States and while it wasn't illegal where I was homeschooled the state and most people back then pretty much shunned homeschoolers.

California, from what I've heard, has always been a more accepting state when it comes to homeschooling versus some others.  My husband and his cousins were here and I know they looked into homeschooling when he was younger.  Much of the same programs that are out now that support and cater to homeschooler were around then too.

Your trauma may have been preventable, but is it easy to prove what was said then now, probably not.  I am one of those people who has had a lot of stuff that shouldn't have happen in my life, that did.  I try to look at those experiences, regardless how bad they are, and learn from them.  Most of the time I am learning what I don't want to be like, what I don't want to have happen to my children or for them to go through, but I try not to dwell too much on the past.

I have such a wonderful life right now.  I am married to my best friend, and love of my life.  We have four awesome and beautiful children and life for us is great.  I guess my best suggestion for you is to teach your children to do research when confronted with a closed door and to never give up.  Let them know sometimes the doors will always stay closed, and that for some it's closed while others it's wide open, but to never give up on learning what options they could have and why it's closed for them.  I'm sorry that door was closed for you to homeschool when you were younger.  I hold out hope that people really do get back what they dish out (karma I guess you'd say), and hopefully in your case those that were like that to you and your mom got back some of what they dished out to you two.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Thank you. This gave me some closure.
Quoting usmom3:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Two years after homeschooling was legal in all 50 states they pulled that. Why??
Quoting usmom3:

I also found this on the encyclopedia website as the answer to the question When did homeschooling become legal in all 50 states? In the United States, home schooling has been legal in all 50 states since 1993, with regulatory laws and performance-tracking procedures differing widely from state to state ...

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I know. My poor mom had no access to the internet. No one to turn to. She even went to the school board and they told her the same thing. Freaking hate some people. All they care about is their bottom line. They don't care about the kids, just the money they bring in.

Quoting Dawn07:

I just love how they straight up lie to people and people wonder why some of us have issues with the public school.
Both the public school and the Doe were twisting things for my aunt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)