Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

They told her homeschooling was illegal in California...

Posted by   + Show Post

I was one of those kids who NEEDED to be homeschooled. Elementary wasn't too bad. Even though I had a lot of anxiety, I kept good grades. Once I hit junior high all of that changed. My social anxiety was so bad I threw up every morning and had migraines all day. I didn't understand the work and fell so far behind. My mom finally had enough and decided to HS. During a meeting she said she wanted to pull me out but was told Homeschooling was illegal in California and she could go to jail. The principal then told me I would be put in foster care and never see my mom again if I didn't start going to school. I had a nervous breakdown about 5 mins later.

That experience cut very deep. I ended up dropping out in 9th grade and had nightmares about that school into my 20's. It was years before I could step on school grounds without hyperventilating.

I've looked it up but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know (or can find out) if homeschooling was illegal in California back in 94-95? I'd like to know if my trauma was preventable...

by on Aug. 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Replies (31-32):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

It's okay. This morning was salve to my soul...

Quoting AllofFive19:

They pulled that because they can. People like that, still pull crap like that, inventing rules for homeschooling kids that aren't there, telling parents they have to vaccinate their kids or not go to public school, etc. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Quoting paganbaby:

Two years after homeschooling was legal in all 50 states they pulled that. Why??
Quoting usmom3:

I also found this on the encyclopedia website as the answer to the question When did homeschooling become legal in all 50 states? In the United States, home schooling has been legal in all 50 states since 1993, with regulatory laws and performance-tracking procedures differing widely from state to state ...

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Tal0n
by Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM

That's funny, cause now Michigan?  One of the BEST homeschooling states.

Quoting usmom3:

I found this LINK & did some skim reading & this jumped out at me By 1989, there were only three states where home education was still a crime. Iowa, North Dakota, and Michigan were the last home school holdouts.

So I would say that they lied to your Mom & you suffered needlessly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)