Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ARGHGHHH!!! Lazy, sloppy, disorganized,... ****FIRST DAY!!!!!!!!!!***** EDIT!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this
****UPDATE**** Today was the first day, and I thought it wouldn't go as smoothly as it did. They all completed their routine, except my son ran out of time and I let him skip typing and flashcard practice today since we are just getting started. We got up at 7:30 and completed the ENTIRE routine plus watched the introduction to the Math U See stuff together. They also each watched their first lesson on Math U See and did most of their entire workbook for that lesson in 30 minutes. I was able to give them some free time and lunch by 11:30. We have gotten some chores done, even. They are begging to start science class, but there are a few more things I didn't get organized yet, so I compromised and offered to watch some educational shows on netflix while the baby slept. All in all, it's a terrific day back and everyone is smiling. I'm a little unsure if my Daily Calendar Board is as successful with my kindy, but we'll see in a few weeks if it gets easier. Thanks for your help and advice earlier!!!!

So, I created the, "McCuen Family Sunrise System."

On index cards, I wrote out four steps to the older kids morning... ((On your marks, get ready, get set, and GO!!!)

On your marks is what they do before our Morning Meeting (like for my poor bedwetter, she changes sheets, showers, and dresses)... She does this every morning, but CONSTANTLY has to be prodded and reminded.

Get ready is time spent with God's word and the importance of starting the day right and then breakfast.

Get set is hygiene, room straightening, and each of them have a morning chore.

Go!!! is the older kids doing their independent schooling (instrument practice, spanish, typing, and spelling/journal activity)...

You would think that at 11 and 9, I wouldn't have to spell it all out, but our mornings are soooo sloppy that the rest of the day feels and is sloppy....

I'm tired of it.

For my Kindy, I hung a clear strip of plastic (like the extra edge from laminated stuff) and made her picture instructions on how to get ready and moving.   She has a pink arrow that is stuck with Sticky Tak that she moves down the strip as she gets finished with stuff and ready for school.

I sure hope I can follow through and make them do this.

by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 10, 2013 at 6:54 AM

Sounds like a great way to motivate them......is there a time limit with each area?

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 10, 2013 at 8:09 AM
That's a great idea. Mine are 10 and 11 and are going to need something, especially my 10 year old. She had a list for getting ready for school when they went to ps, she will definitely need things outlined for her for HS as well.

If it doesn't seem to be working, you could offer rewards for getting everything done on time without prenatal prodding.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Aug. 10, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I think that is a great way motivate your kids. If you are worried about your follow through, set yourself up a reward system for following through on your end and maybe do the same for your kids.
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Aug. 10, 2013 at 9:07 AM

To me that sound like a lot to pack into a morning. I mean, they should do all of those things...but to do them early in the morning and within an hour or two just seems like a lot. 

Maybe spread those chores out or change it up a bit? Just keep it from getting so mundane? 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM

RIght now, I'm not setting a specific time limit for most of it, but if they don't make it to Morning Meeting on time, then they will have to get up a half hour earlier.   If I'm ready to start English and Math, then they come to class as they are and finish all their other stuff during their free break after lunch.  

However, their independent schooling (instrument practice, spelling, etc...) all have a set time or amount to do that should take about an hour together.  I will be working with the Kindy and have a toddler and expected to give them an hour and a half for this.   If they get finished on time, they would have a half hour of free time. 

We start Monday JUST doing morning routine and Math, which I want to get them started on that since it's new and a different system that they do mostly on their own with my guidance.   The following week or two, I'll bring in their other classes.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh, and our rewards this year, I haven't really worked on yet, but instead of giving out tiny prizes or candy or anything we have to keep track of (like fifteen minutes video games or something).. anyway, instead of that stuff, we are getting rolls of nickles and quarters and each kid will have a small bank.   The money will go toward reward days.   Days we go to say an arcade or mini vacation... then they have a litte bit of spending money.   We don't really like tiny trinket toys and such because we are always throwing them away when no one plays with them.   They will still get their $5.00 bi-weekly allowance to do as they please.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Yes, you have a terrific point!!!!   This is something I was thinking about... but the things I put down really are necessary for the morning and the running of a small home with four wild kids.

I hope that we find it successful.  All the tasks are super short tasks... nothing takes more than 2-10 minutes except breakfast and practicing their instrument.  Room straightening isn't fully cleaning their rooms. (just bed made and laundry picked up).  We've never made this an important step, and I think that might be partly why they (and myself) are messy and disorganized now.  

They want to do all of the activities and classes and are great "students", but the sloppy and lazy stuff is picking up after themselves, getting up, getting started, doing hygiene, etc...  I'm tired of "getting on to them" about stuff like this, so I'm hoping the Sunrise System will help and I won't have to be so hands on.

If it's too much, we can tweak it or I can ask them what activities they want to drop or postpone.  I'm not an unschooler, but I do put them in charge of deciding (together) what we do.  They asked for all of this extra stuff because for a few years we weren't able to do them due to some at home issues that are now thankfully behind us.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

To me that sound like a lot to pack into a morning. I mean, they should do all of those things...but to do them early in the morning and within an hour or two just seems like a lot. 

Maybe spread those chores out or change it up a bit? Just keep it from getting so mundane? 

usmom3
by BJ on Aug. 10, 2013 at 11:17 AM

I hope it works for you!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM

LOL!!!   I really hope so too...   but I'm trying to be realistic, too.   Thanks!

Quoting usmom3:

I hope it works for you!

oredeb
by on Aug. 10, 2013 at 11:39 AM

oh yea!!! good job krissy!!

they can do it!!!

when my kids were young they had cleaning up rooms, feeding the animals, eating breakfast, any of their household chores(if there was time), getting ready all done  before 9 for when we started school. being consistant  doing it everyday like you are doing helped us!

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Aug. 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM

Maybe do some of the chores the night before?

For the bed wetter have sheets and clean clothes laid out?

Quoting KrissyKC:

Yes, you have a terrific point!!!!   This is something I was thinking about... but the things I put down really are necessary for the morning and the running of a small home with four wild kids.

I hope that we find it successful.  All the tasks are super short tasks... nothing takes more than 2-10 minutes except breakfast and practicing their instrument.  Room straightening isn't fully cleaning their rooms. (just bed made and laundry picked up).  We've never made this an important step, and I think that might be partly why they (and myself) are messy and disorganized now.  

They want to do all of the activities and classes and are great "students", but the sloppy and lazy stuff is picking up after themselves, getting up, getting started, doing hygiene, etc...  I'm tired of "getting on to them" about stuff like this, so I'm hoping the Sunrise System will help and I won't have to be so hands on.

If it's too much, we can tweak it or I can ask them what activities they want to drop or postpone.  I'm not an unschooler, but I do put them in charge of deciding (together) what we do.  They asked for all of this extra stuff because for a few years we weren't able to do them due to some at home issues that are now thankfully behind us.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)