Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I hate the Distributive Property

Posted by   + Show Post

That is all. carry on...

LOL

Anything irking you right now?

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:56 AM

EEK! It's meant to make math Easier not harder..lol...good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
I refuse to believe anyone made this with benevolence in mind.

Quoting KickButtMama:

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.  I was just looking at him like, "really?  this is what we are going to lose it over today?  LOL"  He did much better today after having a talk with his father last night about why we don't throw fits like that and why it hurts mommy's feelings when we say we hate her and don't want to do school at home.  I think that if he is having a bad day or something that school takes the hit.  Well that and me.

Quoting tiredmomfor2:

I'm having the same issue with my almost 6 yr old. She gets going and it goes on and on. *sigh* today it was over a stick of gum. Which is weird because she is my more or less easy going one.

Nice to know there are two of us going through it.

Quoting jwhit8791:

When my 6 YO has a meltdown and won't just calm down.  Today it was because he didn't want to repeat the bible verse we are working on. 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
It's just like shorthand writing. We often write w/ instead of 'with' because it's quicker. But most people still know it means with. So you've shortened the word to only 2 characters. When doing math, the properties just give you the parameters of how an equation might be shortened or manipulated. If you need to apply the distributive property, then the equation was written in short hand a(b+c) here you'd multiply the b and the c by the a - it's written in shorter form than writing ab + ac. Conversely if you have ab+ac you can shorten it by taking out the common factor a. making the shorthand a(b+c)
Quoting mem82:

Quoting KickButtMama:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:00 PM
I still hate it. Lol it doesn't make things easier for me. It never has. I can get the right answer without it, but it means I still fail algebra class because I don't use it. Lol

Quoting KickButtMama:

It's just like shorthand writing. We often write w/ instead of 'with' because it's quicker. But most people still know it means with. So you've shortened the word to only 2 characters. When doing math, the properties just give you the parameters of how an equation might be shortened or manipulated. If you need to apply the distributive property, then the equation was written in short hand

a(b+c) here you'd multiply the b and the c by the a - it's written in shorter form than writing ab + ac. Conversely if you have ab+ac you can shorten it by taking out the common factor a. making the shorthand a(b+c)

Quoting mem82:

Quoting KickButtMama:

craftyzenmom
by Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I hate that every year I spend time coming up with great books for my boys to do their language arts program with and the first thing out of their mouths is how much they hate the books... even before they've opened them! Even when I let them pick... stinky teen age boys too smart for their own good. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

That would be really annoying. Maybe get a water bottle and squirt them in the face everytime they say they hate it. LOL

Quoting craftyzenmom:

I hate that every year I spend time coming up with great books for my boys to do their language arts program with and the first thing out of their mouths is how much they hate the books... even before they've opened them! Even when I let them pick... stinky teen age boys too smart for their own good. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I have a list, lol.

I have to pack up all the k12 crap and send it back today.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The house is a total disaster

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:24 PM

The girls peed and pooped on the floor while we were gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)