Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

K12???

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM
  • 18 Replies

Has anyone or does anyone homeschool through K12.com? Any feed back good or bad? We are looking for homeschool options for our 8th grader and that site seems to be popular for alot of parents and the feed back on the web page was mostly amazing! I just know for 100% that public school isn't a good fit for him in any way shape or form. How did you decide on what you were going to use for homeschooling?

Thanks

Stacy

by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:21 PM

We haven't used it. I wasn't interested in anything controlled by the government or like school at home.

How I picked out what we did was, I read literally ever book at our libraries and every web page about homeschooling. After I got over the dizziness I figured out what "felt" right to me.

The next year I found POC4U

http://edudps.com/poc4u.html

and got better materials that fit my kids best learning styles. That made our homeschooling so much better.

We also read The Teenage Liberation Handbook

http://www.amazon.com/The-Teenage-Liberation-Handbook-Education/dp/0962959170

for more ideas about how to think outside the box and what universities are looking for in, incoming freshmen.

I have heard some say they liked it and it worked for them.

I've also heard some have issues with scheduling and expectations.

Here is a bump for you. Hopefully those who have used it will come around and give you input soon.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:28 PM

We used it in KG with my slightly gifted child.   We had her working in first grade material and she really excelled.

However, it took up quite a bit of the day and I had other friends in the program that weren't having the success we were.   It can be very tough and grueling for a child that is more remedial.   I don't think my current kindy could do it successfully.

It's also very expensive unless you live in one of the states where it's provided free through virtual schools.

It's also very public school-like and is considered more of a virtual school rather than a true home-school approach... although that technicality doesn't really matter to most of us... 

Edited to add:   One friend of mine had a kindy, too... and her daughter started to despise the program so much that she took all the homeschool stuff out of the trunk they kept it in, covered it all with a blanket and shoved some of it behind the couch....later, she crawled in the trunk to hide.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

To be frank, I've only heard of good reviews for the public virtual K12 option on their website; in real life and on my forums, I've never met someone who cared to use it for more than one year (a "season in their life").

Noting, the public virtual K12 option is DIFFERENT than their private school course offerings (which you pay for) - with the public virtual option you are told what to do, how to do it, and when to do it; with the private tuition based version, you can choose which courses to take and be much more flexible with it (I've heard great things about their tuition based program, depending on which courses where chosen; you can't just pick and choose with the public virtual option).

To more directly answer your question, no we do not use it - we are independent homeschoolers.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Aug. 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM
We did it with my nephew for a year and hated it. It did not.have the flexibility we wanted and i had to lie about the hours we did to meet their requirements. I don't believe in that.

It required online web classes which, while awful, limited us in being able to go out and do field trips and hands on activity.

On the other hand, i have friends that swear by it because Mom doesn't have to do anything and she can just ignore her child while keeping him home to spoil.....oops..sorry...this family is awful.and shouldn't be homeschooling.
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I never heard of it when I first began 20 yrs ago. May not have been around but even so I have always stayed as far away from government schools as possible. Did my own thing.

WritingDiva
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Hello everyone. My daughter is currently using K12. We use it as a core foundation and fill in where K12 may lack. I have a 6 year old daughter and she loves it. I am the type of mom that has to make sure she has mastered a skill instead of just memorized it. K12 gives me a glimpse of state standards and I use it to further my knowledge of what kids in public school are exposed to. We have field trips that we plan and implement in her life that further open the doors of her lesson or something she just really enjoys doing. She is in first grade and reads on a second grade level and at time beyond. Homeschooling is what it is, a way to teach your child at home what you want them to know. With a combination of standards set by my state and my husband and I, she is covered in all areas of learning. Learning is fun and we have to present new challenges daily that spark those inquisitive minds to thinking, wondering and developing a true need and want to know.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I used K12 last year for my son. It's a good program but he didn't like it. He's an eclectic learner and needed less structure. He fell behind, became bored and frustrated. So this year we're striking out on our own.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Aug. 12, 2013 at 9:05 PM
3 moms liked this

Also I don't like being told what to do,lol. I took my son home because I wanted to take back control of his education. That's not exactly something you can do when you have to answer to a teacher.

Momto8kidsyay
by on Aug. 12, 2013 at 11:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Too much busy work and restriction. It is not true homeschooling. It's so much easier to do it yourself.
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:28 AM

bad

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)