Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Still not sure!(I am now)

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM
  • 11 Replies
Just wondering if anyone lives in Philadelphia or if anyone is aware of the problems that the School District of Philadelphia are having? I live here and have six children, five who are school age. Just want to hear opinions/advice on the circumstances. I have to admit that I'm lost on what I should do! I have considered K12 programs but I am not sure I could actually do it! What would you do?

Sorry for the delay! I have decided to go with cyber schooling! (Yay) after over a year of uncertainty I finally realized that we can make it work! Thank You for all the advice ladies!
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 1:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 2:22 AM

K12 is really really structured with 5 kids I would not try it. I found it difficult with 2 kids.  Have you thought about regular homeschool?  Is there a homeschool charter school open near you?  They usually do not have to be in the same county for you to attend.

What ages are your children?

romacox
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:33 AM

According to one of your State's home school associations, Colorado is one of the most flexible states for home educators. 

They explain the laws on this page. 

Find a Colorado support group here

Some states, like Florida, have state and district laws.  Colorado support groups can let you know if that is the case in Colorado.  

How To Home School explains K12 (news article and more), and other methods used by home educators.  It also helps you learn about your child's learning style so you can pick what works for them. 

QueenCreole313
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM

Hey, I live just south of Philly in Delaware. I have heard of all the drama and budget cuts. I think it's a blessing in disguise because the Philadelphia school system is corrupt and they aren't doing a very good job educating children. (IMHO)

I hope everyone starts to explore all of their educational options (including homeschool).

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 13, 2013 at 8:07 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd do your own thing! Research homeschool methods, read the book "the well trained mind" by Susan wise Bauer and go from there. If you have minimal time and money there are "what your (1st, 2nd, etc) grader needs to know" you can use to start you off.
We like oak meadow and the Waldorf method. We also liked the Charlotte mason method and there is a great website for that at www.simplycharlottemason.com
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddjnn
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:08 AM
At this point my options are limited. My home life is very chaotic! I have health issues, my husband works all the time, and I have very little support. Not to mention our income is limited! I have been looking for work since I lost my job in November, another issue! It's just really difficult for me. I lean more towards K12 because I know I couldn't fully homeschool on my own! Still it's something I can't see working for my family! I am completely lost! Wish I could just take a year off to work out all the kinks! Education is very serious to me, I grew up in this school district. I know it's not the best, but it is the only public school option for us. We are actually considering relocating! We would love to start fresh, somewhere we feel is safer, new opportunities, better schools! I just need some help with right now! My children have also expressed that they would not want to homeschool! So what do we do?
mem82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
*hugs*

Quoting ddjnn:

At this point my options are limited. My home life is very chaotic! I have health issues, my husband works all the time, and I have very little support. Not to mention our income is limited! I have been looking for work since I lost my job in November, another issue! It's just really difficult for me. I lean more towards K12 because I know I couldn't fully homeschool on my own! Still it's something I can't see working for my family! I am completely lost! Wish I could just take a year off to work out all the kinks! Education is very serious to me, I grew up in this school district. I know it's not the best, but it is the only public school option for us. We are actually considering relocating! We would love to start fresh, somewhere we feel is safer, new opportunities, better schools! I just need some help with right now! My children have also expressed that they would not want to homeschool! So what do we do?
SusanTheWriter
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 10:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, it doesn't sound like homeschooling is going to be the best fit for your family *at this time.* Since you're a SAHM now and if it's at all possible, I would invest as much time as you can into becoming a classroom volunteer or PTA mom this year. Get involved, talk to the teachers regularly, know your children's strengths and weaknesses. Whenever possible, do some "after-schooling." Once you see your kids are struggling with some concept, find a way to teach that skill at home so they can keep up with their classwork.

Also, take the time to do some field trips as a family, or look for library classes or community projects that speak to your children's interests. All of those will instill the idea that learning doesn't just happen in the classroom.

We were a public school family for years, so this is all stuff that we've done that helped when we were in an aread that maybe didn't have the best schools.

Good luck!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I second the suggestion to read The Well Trained Mind!

(and visit the Well Trained Mind forums!)

Quoting Boobah:

I'd do your own thing! Research homeschool methods, read the book "the well trained mind" by Susan wise Bauer and go from there. If you have minimal time and money there are "what your (1st, 2nd, etc) grader needs to know" you can use to start you off.
We like oak meadow and the Waldorf method. We also liked the Charlotte mason method and there is a great website for that at www.simplycharlottemason.com

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Aug. 13, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Excellent book and the forums are amazing, thanks for mentioning those! I can't believe I forgot them.

With five school age kids (I didn't see that last time) I would do the Charlotte mason method. It's quite easy to combine grades and do a lot as a family so you only have a few subjects to do individually per child.

Also, I'd like to add that with this being your first year, please don't feel like you have to do EVERYTHING. Like art, poetry, music, foreign language, bible, etc. our first year I ended up with a surprise blessing pregnancy. We did math and our language daily, but sometimes we didn't do science, art or history for weeks! But you know what? It was fine!

I wouldn't say that homeschooling isn't the right thing for you at this time. I would sa it might be a challenge, but what isn't challenging in life? Also, with www.amblesideonline.com (maybe .org) it is a free Charlotte mason curric. Simplycharlottemason.com also has a free curric guide that is so helpful!!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I second the suggestion to read The Well Trained Mind!

(and visit the Well Trained Mind forums!)

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 2:10 AM

K12 would be pretty time consuming with 6 kids.   You might want to read all the reviews you can find online about them (and not just the ones on their website)...

Sorry, that's all I have, I'm no where near Philly...   However, I love HSing... it's been a terrific 4 yrs so far.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN