Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have a daily schedule? Do you follow it (lol)? Does it help your kids?

by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Aug. 13, 2013 at 5:31 PM

I was going to try to plan a schedule but I have to work and my work schedule, while flexible, is not always predictable more than a couple weeks ahead of time.

So I think a routine will be better.  We will just try to do subjects in a certain order, or they will have some to do while I am gone.  I want them to start by 8:30 and hopefully be done by lunch with the exception of a couple things or maybe like science or history for after lunch.  I really have no idea how this is going to work, lol....we'll figure it out though.

mommy4lyf
by on Aug. 13, 2013 at 11:17 PM
8:30 - 4:30 pm (less 2 snacks and lunch)....
celticdragon77
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:18 AM
2 moms liked this

Previously, not too much. We lived by the seat of our pants and it was a ton of fun. Now I am a single mom that works ft and tries to fit in parenting, cleaning, homeschooling... and so yeah, there has to be some scheduling. Our schedule works well for us - but I miss the spontaneous days... I remember that my oldest daughter and I would go do history class at diners at like 1am. We have been to every diner within 50 miles of our house. We would have spontaneous field trips... I remember discussing the civil war or washington dc and suddenly being like... do want to go see it? and we would be off. I have so many great memories... Probably not the best parenting or teaching... but my kids are all good and love me still =) I am the kind of person that will get in my car and drive to Cali (from Pa) to get a baja taco by the Pacific... for real!!!

ninastone
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM

That is AWESOME parenting, and I bet your kids will remember that stuff forever.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Previously, not too much. We lived by the seat of our pants and it was a ton of fun. Now I am a single mom that works ft and tries to fit in parenting, cleaning, homeschooling... and so yeah, there has to be some scheduling. Our schedule works well for us - but I miss the spontaneous days... I remember that my oldest daughter and I would go do history class at diners at like 1am. We have been to every diner within 50 miles of our house. We would have spontaneous field trips... I remember discussing the civil war or washington dc and suddenly being like... do want to go see it? and we would be off. I have so many great memories... Probably not the best parenting or teaching... but my kids are all good and love me still =) I am the kind of person that will get in my car and drive to Cali (from Pa) to get a baja taco by the Pacific... for real!!!

IntlMom12
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This is my 2nd year at homeschooling and last year I tried to have a schedule but by month 2 it was pretty much out the window because I was also trying to have an in-home daycare. This year I have both my boys in school and no daycare so I will again try to have a schedule. We are all late risers so we don't usually start school until about 9:30 a.m.

Carmen
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11 NKJ

almondpigeon
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 12:23 PM

we have a loose schedule.  there are things i plan to accomplish each day, but i don't put everything on a time frame.  

chlippr77
by Member on Aug. 14, 2013 at 5:10 PM
This. We have a routine, but I don't think we've ever done it at the same time two days in a row ;)
Quoting mem82:

I wouldn't say we have a schedule, but we do have a routine. Does that count? LOL

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Aug. 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM

We have a routine that works for us. Our schedule is made to be flexible. We start each day working the schedule but sometimes go off in a different direction. For the most part we stay on task. School starts at a specific time and ends when the work assigned is completed. Works for us.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Sort of...

With four kids (11, 9, 5, and 1...)  I really can't stick to a specific time schedule.  

Instead, I have a set morning routine with things like Spelling & journal on opposite days, practice their instrument, spanish lesson on the computer, typing practice, online flashcards, Bible quiz practice... etc.   Along with a chore and a quick room straightening.... 

While the older two are working on their morning stuff independently, I do the kindergarten stuff with my 5 yr old.

Then, late morning we do math and language arts and then after baby goes down for a nap in the afternoon, we do social studies and science.

That's a general schedule.   It's not really a time frame, and I drop classes to make room for extra curriculars, field trips, and such.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Aug. 15, 2013 at 1:45 AM

That is a long time!!!

Quoting mommy4lyf:

8:30 - 4:30 pm (less 2 snacks and lunch)....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN